Im new

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My first piece of advise is don't consider any rebranded tractors. Those agreements tend to come and go and sometimes effect parts availability. Kiote, LS, and TYM all furnish rebranded tractors to various sellers and it's not always easy to know which brands are which. I think even New Holland contracts for some tractors and rebrands them New Holland so do your homework as you are doing here. If you consider a tractor built by one of those companies go ahead and get one with that manufactures brand name on it.

It sounds like you need a good mid sized tractor with a brush mower and grapple to start with. Depending on the ground and grass area you choose to maintain you may later want a good finish mower. For the gravel driveway a landscape rake works great. They are also beneficial for leveling tilled ground. Get one that more than covers the tractors width so you can angle it as needed. If you can afford it I would focus on a 30 to 50 HP tractor with a cab that has good working climate control. For mowing large areas a good working cruise control is a big advantage for reduced fatigue. I prefer having a removable loader for mowing tasks.

I have 7 acres, 5 of which was a 40 year stand of pines I had clear cut 8 years ago. I wanted the stumps dug out as opposed to mulched. One quote was for 10 grand and the guy said I would need a larger tractor than my JD855 I had at the time to clean up after him. The only other quote I got was for 25 grand and that was cleaned, burned, and finish graded. In hindsight that would have been my best deal but I was about to retire and had time on my hands so I put half that much money into a full size backhoe. I am near the finish line but still working on it 7 years later. On the upside the backhoe will probably be worth what I have in it when I'm done.

I own 3 different tractors but when my clearing is done I would like to get down to one mid sized cab tractor.

My backhoe is a New Holland 575E. Most of the repairs I have had were hydraulic hoses and cylinder repairs. The hoses can be built local. I use a Carquest that only uses Gates hose and fittings. Before that I tried another shop that uses various brands and have had to replace some of those that didn't hold up. Hydraulic cylinder parts have been a total PITA to source and way over priced from NH. Being the budget minded (spelled CHEAP) person I am I have pieced together generic kits.

My workhorse is a John Deere 4310. In my opinion it is the near perfect size. If it had a cab and AC I could be perfectly content with it.

My most recent tractor purchase is a Kubota LX3310 cab with a mid mount mower and loader. I got a steal of a deal on it with 200 hours on the clock and 4 years remaining powertrain warranty. It is just used as an overgrown lawn tractor. The loader sits parked for the day I resell it. The AC works great and the mower finish is also great. That's the end of my love for it. It rides rough as hell and the cruise control amplifies the hydro whine beyond OSHA approved sound levels. Kubota says the sound levels are characteristic of this model and nothing can be done to improve it but they supposedly DID improve it on the new LX series.
They did
My first piece of advise is don't consider any rebranded tractors. Those agreements tend to come and go and sometimes effect parts availability. Kiote, LS, and TYM all furnish rebranded tractors to various sellers and it's not always easy to know which brands are which. I think even New Holland contracts for some tractors and rebrands them New Holland so do your homework as you are doing here. If you consider a tractor built by one of those companies go ahead and get one with that manufactures brand name on it.

It sounds like you need a good mid sized tractor with a brush mower and grapple to start with. Depending on the ground and grass area you choose to maintain you may later want a good finish mower. For the gravel driveway a landscape rake works great. They are also beneficial for leveling tilled ground. Get one that more than covers the tractors width so you can angle it as needed. If you can afford it I would focus on a 30 to 50 HP tractor with a cab that has good working climate control. For mowing large areas a good working cruise control is a big advantage for reduced fatigue. I prefer having a removable loader for mowing tasks.

I have 7 acres, 5 of which was a 40 year stand of pines I had clear cut 8 years ago. I wanted the stumps dug out as opposed to mulched. One quote was for 10 grand and the guy said I would need a larger tractor than my JD855 I had at the time to clean up after him. The only other quote I got was for 25 grand and that was cleaned, burned, and finish graded. In hindsight that would have been my best deal but I was about to retire and had time on my hands so I put half that much money into a full size backhoe. I am near the finish line but still working on it 7 years later. On the upside the backhoe will probably be worth what I have in it when I'm done.

I own 3 different tractors but when my clearing is done I would like to get down to one mid sized cab tractor.

My backhoe is a New Holland 575E. Most of the repairs I have had were hydraulic hoses and cylinder repairs. The hoses can be built local. I use a Carquest that only uses Gates hose and fittings. Before that I tried another shop that uses various brands and have had to replace some of those that didn't hold up. Hydraulic cylinder parts have been a total PITA to source and way over priced from NH. Being the budget minded (spelled CHEAP) person I am I have pieced together generic kits.

My workhorse is a John Deere 4310. In my opinion it is the near perfect size. If it had a cab and AC I could be perfectly content with it.

My most recent tractor purchase is a Kubota LX3310 cab with a mid mount mower and loader. I got a steal of a deal on it with 200 hours on the clock and 4 years remaining powertrain warranty. It is just used as an overgrown lawn tractor. The loader sits parked for the day I resell it. The AC works great and the mower finish is also great. That's the end of my love for it. It rides rough as hell and the cruise control amplifies the hydro whine beyond OSHA approved sound levels. Kubota says the sound levels are characteristic of this model and nothing can be done to improve it but they supposedly DID improve it on the new LX series.
The New Lx 20 series there are many improvements and the noise reduction in the cab is the best one for sure !!

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Dealer support would be a MAJOR factor in my decision on which brand to buy. Regardless of whether it's a Caterpillar, or a Murry Walmart special, all equipment will need parts and repairs at some point.

If your Bobcat dealer closed up, or you had a bad experience, how far is the next dealer?
How about Kubota?

I have at least 3 different Kubota dealers within 30 miles of me. I only have 1 Bobcat dealer.

It's something to consider.

Cgreene

Equipment
N/A
Aug 23, 2024
Lyons, Or
so, in regards to moving the dropped trees , Ide crazy thinking that any small tractor could move them at the size I have them cut too now. I'm planning on getting my JLG 9k telehandler to help move them around, even then will probably need to buck them up smaller.
Talking grapplers , I want to get one, the Kubota dealer quoted me on a land pride SGC 0554 unit. I have seen many videos on you tube with horrible reviews, people suggest spending a few more $ and getting a Wicked grapple from the internet ? Any feed back ? also i really think I want a flail mower vs rotary cutter. does anyone know what size flail a b2601 or l2501 can use.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
Based on the Kubota operator manual:

B2601 can run a 48 inch flail mower or a 48 inch rotary cutter.
L2501 can run a 50 flail mower or a 60 rotary cutter.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Based on the Kubota operator manual:

B2601 can run a 48 inch flail mower or a 48 inch rotary cutter.
L2501 can run a 50 flail mower or a 60 rotary cutter.
You can normally run a big bigger flail than a rotary cutter - rotary cutters are heavy for a tractor to lift. Then the width controls a bit how fast you can go - you can have a narrow flail and go fast, you can have a wide flail and go slow. Your back will thank you for the latter.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
so, in regards to moving the dropped trees , Ide crazy thinking that any small tractor could move them at the size I have them cut too now. I'm planning on getting my JLG 9k telehandler to help move them around, even then will probably need to buck them up smaller.
Talking grapplers , I want to get one, the Kubota dealer quoted me on a land pride SGC 0554 unit. I have seen many videos on you tube with horrible reviews, people suggest spending a few more $ and getting a Wicked grapple from the internet ? Any feed back ? also i really think I want a flail mower vs rotary cutter. does anyone know what size flail a b2601 or l2501 can use.
FWIW, I have the SGC 0554 grapple, and I have used it for 3.5+ years with no damage. It is a lighter use grapple, but it is also a lighter weight grapple. You are talking about buying a smaller compact tractor, which comes with less robust loader than a bigger tractor. Putting a tougher grapple on your loader will not make your loader and hydraulic system stronger. People that damage the SGC 0554 grapple are probably damaging their loader and hydraulic system too.

Unfortunately, many people abuse/misuse their equipment, and then they post about it. I have moved tons of brush/logs/trees and popped out pretty big rocks from the ground. Reasonable skill and patience goes a long way to avoid damage. BTW, I have found my bucket with the Piranha tooth bar better suited to rip out brush.

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
CGreene, like you, I’m in thought of going bigger. I have two & 1/2 acres and I own a BX2380. I only have 197 hours on it. But I want either a B2601 or a L. I need a loader and mmm. I learned a lot from the bx. Anyone know current going rates on those machines? I’m trying to prep myself on what to expect.

Cgreene

Equipment
N/A
Aug 23, 2024
Lyons, Or
CGreene, like you, I’m in thought of going bigger. I have two & 1/2 acres and I own a BX2380. I only have 197 hours on it. But I want either a B2601 or a L. I need a loader and mmm. I learned a lot from the bx. Anyone know current going rates on those machines? I’m trying to prep myself on what to expect.
i got quoted $24877.00 for b2601 the lx model was quoted at$26052.00 not sure about the l 2501

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
i got quoted $24877.00 for b2601 the lx model was quoted at$26052.00 not sure about the l 2501
Am curious:
I have a larger machine, but am curious about the primary physical differences between these 3 machines.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I really liked my B2301. I have 25 acres, but really focus on five or so of them (so far). I wound up going bigger mostly for loader strength. Though I also found any sort of dirt or gravel moving or leveling was way easier with the heavier and wider machine. It’s also much less tippy feeling, which I very much appreciate.

I imagine you could be very happy with a B2601. If I were in your shoes I’d definitely consider the L2502 (depending on price difference).

Good luck with the shopping!

Reactions: 1 user

Cgreene

Equipment
N/A
Aug 23, 2024
Lyons, Or
I really liked my B2301. I have 25 acres, but really focus on five or so of them (so far). I wound up going bigger mostly for loader strength. Though I also found any sort of dirt or gravel moving or leveling was way easier with the heavier and wider machine. It’s also much less tippy feeling, which I very much appreciate.

I imagine you could be very happy with a B2601. If I were in your shoes I’d definitely consider the L2502 (depending on price difference).

So, i really think im going for the L2502. I talked with Kubota today and they really want to sell me the B2601. Dude , its definitely a great looking machine but i think i will out grow it. People keep asking me what i need it for and my reply is still “Im not exactly sure, but i bet ill find out”, shoot maybe ill bring it to my job site and use it there?
The Kubota dude tells me that bigger isn't better and i do understand that concept.But , this is probably going to be my first and last tractor i buy ( as long as i don't break it ) so that is why i believe i need a L series.

Reactions: 3 users

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
So, i really think im going for the L2502. I talked with Kubota today and they really want to sell me the B2601. Dude , its definitely a great looking machine but i think i will out grow it. People keep asking me what i need it for and my reply is still “Im not exactly sure, but i bet ill find out”, shoot maybe ill bring it to my job site and use it there?
The Kubota dude tells me that bigger isn't better and i do understand that concept.But , this is probably going to be my first and last tractor i buy ( as long as i don't break it ) so that is why i believe i need a L series.
Well, good luck. Hopefully will be happy with whatever you choose (I bet you will). Let us know what you do decide!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The quote of the day is: "Buy Enough Tractor"!
Go with YOUR gut feeling!

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good decision. The extra weight and wider stance/wheelbase will make using the loader a lot safer and more stable. Weight and stability are more important than hp in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Am curious:
I have a larger machine, but am curious about the primary physical differences between these 3 machines.
I did this table at one point. Older model designations, I believe sizes haven't changed.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I have the 2502 and I love it. I don't think I could have picked a better tractor my needs and my 20 acres. It does everything I want and then some. I do regret not buying the backhoe with it though. I had the cash set aside for the backhoe and used it on a new Honda Rubicon ATV that barely ever gets used.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buy the L then take it to your job site and write part of the cost off of your taxes.

jonasbailer

Equipment
none yet
Aug 29, 2024
Hillsborough, NC
I have 11 acres (6 wooded) in NC and am also choosing between a B2601 and LX2610. Plan to use it for light grading work, maintaining a riding arena with a land rake & rear blade, moving downed trees, turning compost, and running a PTO wood chipper.

My local dealer has "aged inventory" models of both and the LX2610 is priced slightly cheaper than the B2601 with very similar options. The main difference is that the LX2610 has R14T's (the smaller sized - looks like the same as the B2601) and the B2601 has R4's. The 2502 seems just a bit too big for my needs when I see it in person. Is there much reason to look at an LX2620 over the LX2610 or B2601?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have 11 acres (6 wooded) in NC and am also choosing between a B2601 and LX2610. Plan to use it for light grading work, maintaining a riding arena with a land rake & rear blade, moving downed trees, turning compost, and running a PTO wood chipper.

My local dealer has "aged inventory" models of both and the LX2610 is priced slightly cheaper than the B2601 with very similar options. The main difference is that the LX2610 has R14T's (the smaller sized - looks like the same as the B2601) and the B2601 has R4's. The 2502 seems just a bit too big for my needs when I see it in person. Is there much reason to look at an LX2620 over the LX2610 or B2601?
Woods work? Yes. The LX has better ground clearance and will lift more than the B. Not sure if it would matter for the wood chipper but despite having the same net horsepower, the LX will make it at lower rpm with greater torque.

Get the LX (and some wheel spacers). Get the dealer to swap out the R14's for R-4's on the LX.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Woods work? Yes. The LX has better ground clearance and will lift more than the B. Not sure if it would matter for the wood chipper but despite having the same net horsepower, the LX will make it at lower rpm with greater torque.

Get the LX (and some wheel spacers). Get the dealer to swap out the R14's for R-4's on the LX. Either LX would be fine (they are essentially the same tractor).