Whole house water filter recommendations

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
What you got and what are your likes/dislikes. Our well is off the hardness scale. Lots of calcium and iron too. Looking to do a whole house filter off the pressure tank before the softener. Out of the softener it’s not too bad but calcium and rust builds up on faucets and fixtures. We have a RO for drinking water. Does a good job. Just looking to get some of those solids out earlier.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I pre-treat my water with an air injection tank (before water softener). That oxidizes the iron portion of the incoming water. It purges every second night. Air injection has different designs, but they all have a vertical tank with a bed to filter the oxidized material.
I originally had air injection with a venturi valve in the main incoming line, but did find it was "noisy" whenever the pump ran. I went with a self contained tank system, which is quiet. Sorry, can't find the name of it right now, but water treatment people will know what to look for.
These tank only work with things that can be "oxidized", like iron or magnesium in the water. Not sure what you need for calcium...

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I installed a Braukmann sediment filter about 15 years ago and it is great at removing sediment from the water supply. I usually service it ever 3 or 4 months by shutting off the water pump power, unscrewing the plastic cartridge at the bottom of the filters metal top. I then bring it up to the kitchen faucet and empty out the sediment into a large pan, and fill the cartridge again with water from the faucet, and dump that into the pan. Then I disassemble the filter and flush the screen in the pan with the sediment and water until it is clean. Rinse the cartridge housing again and reassemble it and put it back together. There is a gauge at the top of the metal housing that you can set to the pressure of the water entering from the pump. I reset that to the current pump pressure and when I see that the pressure drops quite low I know that it is time to clean the filter again. When I first installed it there was so much sediment in the water that I was cleaning it every week. I changed the filter to a less micron setting and it reduced the amount of sediment that it was capturing. What gets past the filter is so little that I don't notice it except in the 1st floor toilet that collects the sediment in the tank. No sediment ever makes it to the second floor bathrooms. It is a Braukmann (3M company) model FS1023S1023. I bought mine off of eBay at the time.
Mine is a 1" model and the 3/4" model is Honeywell F76S1015, and the 1/2" is F76S1007 - Water Filter. Braukmann and Honeywell are both the same. Shop around for the best price. It is a once in a lifetime of your home purchase.
MVC-001L.JPG
MVC-002L.JPG

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I pre-treat my water with an air injection tank (before water softener). That oxidizes the iron portion of the incoming water. It purges every second night. Air injection has different designs, but they all have a vertical tank with a bed to filter the oxidized material.
I originally had air injection with a venturi valve in the main incoming line, but did find it was "noisy" whenever the pump ran. I went with a self contained tank system, which is quiet. Sorry, can't find the name of it right now, but water treatment people will know what to look for.
These tank only work with things that can be "oxidized", like iron or magnesium in the water. Not sure what you need for calcium...
I did a quick Google search and found this unit for $866.95 with free shipping.
The Nelsen AIO™ iron removal system is equipped with a Fleck 5600SXT air injection control valve, 3/4” by-pass valve, black Structural mineral tank and all necessary Birm media and support bed for the removal of iron and sulfur odor from well and household water.

The system features a single tank system, and is an efficient and cost effective system for the removal of both iron and sulfur. The Nelsen AIO™ technology maintains an “air pocket” in the top of the tank while the system is in service. As the water passes thru the air pocket, iron and sulfur are oxidized. Additionally, dissolved oxygen is added to the water.

The Nelsen AIO™ filter media bed then removes the iron and sulfur from the water. A daily backwash will remove accumulated iron and replenish the filter media bed. The regeneration process also adds a fresh air pocket to the system.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
friend used a swimming pool sand filter to tap the iron. even then he backwashes once per month. You can buy enclosed magnets to toss into toilets(never tried it but seems gimmiky...but, hay it might...)
calcium should be removed water softener, replaced with sodium.
RO / DW is NOT good for drinking or cooking with as NO essential minerals in it.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Had to Google the name of the product since my old memory bank have some gaps in the data recovery system.

Here are some alternatives to salt in a water softener system:

• Potassium chloride
    A low-sodium alternative to salt that's safe for people who can't or don't want to use salt. It's also a nutrient that plants and flowers need to grow. However, it's more expensive than salt and may require the water softener to regenerate more often. If you use potassium chloride instead of salt, you can try increasing the water hardness setting by 20–25%.

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
I did a quick Google search and found this unit for $866.95 with free shipping.
Yes, that is similar to what I use. Regular "filters" do not get rid of dissolved iron in water, one has to inject air (oxygen) to have the iron react to form an oxide of iron which is then "solid" (your red staining), which can then be filtered by the bed in that filter.
I had mine serviced after about 7 years of use, the bed was still in good shape. This depends on how much iron you have in the water of course...

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Yes, that is similar to what I use. Regular "filters" do not get rid of dissolved iron in water, one has to inject air (oxygen) to have the iron react to form an oxide of iron which is then "solid" (your red staining), which can then be filtered by the bed in that filter.
I had mine serviced after about 7 years of use, the bed was still in good shape. This depends on how much iron you have in the water of course...
One further word of advice. Should you get one of these air iron filter units, try to have the backwash discharge straight into a long pipe (2 to 3 feet at least). Never into a pipe with nearby elbow (like 90 degree). What happens during the backwash is that the air is released first, like having 50psi of compressed air blowing into the pipe with water behind it. When it hits a 90 degree, you get a "bang" in the discharge pipe as the air expands. I found 3 feet of 1-1/2" ABS discharge pipe solved that issue. I discharge right into the end of the pipe. No more noise.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Can’t offer model-specific recommendations, but if the goal is filtering solids, etc., something like a cartridge filter @DustyRusty pictured is the ticket.

Iron (red) or manganese (grey or black) are difficult to treat. Exceptionally so at the household level on an individual well.

They are not harmful to your health, but are objectionable for harmless reasons. Same with calcium and hard water stains.

I dealt with some commercial systems that struggled with them years ago.

Sometimes, a pellet chlorinator at the well head can oxidize some before it’s pumped into the house. Not a prescribed application for pellet chlorination but I’ve had some success in my previous experience

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the Whirlpool Central Water Filtration System Model WHELJ1. It does an excellent job of removing contaminants from the water. I do not use a water softener with this unit. It is not designed to soften water, it just removes contaminants. It is programable for backwash times and frequency. It also has a vacation mode for shutting the unit off if you happen to need to shut off your water supply for some reason. I attached a pdf of the owner's manual if you are interested in it.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm a 'suburban boy' by birth and had no previous experience with "water treatment" before we got a place "up north"

When we got our place "up north" the previous owners had a some sort of "softener" system. It was rented and therefore removed, before we got the joint, so I have no idea what type of system it was.

Anyway, all the drains are absolutely destroyed.

This bad, on an 18 year old house.

IMG_2702.jpeg

I blame the "softener salt" for the damage.

So when we "moved in" the water smelled like a nasty fart, and the toilet tanks looked like a "beach" because of all the sand in them.

I decided to install one of these systems from Water Express. (bleach bottle is for size reference)

IMG_2701.jpeg

After the install, we still got the "occasional" nasty fart smell. So on the first filter change, (about a year later) I decided to switch to 2 charcoal filters and the sediment filter.

So I went from the original [ SED, KDF, ACB] filter trio, to a [SED, GAC, ACB] trio. The second charcoal filter helped a lot.

Odor is totally gone, and tastes great and I do not have to add "softener salt" as a bonus.

My daughter uses the same system and loves it as well but I think she uses the "original filter" trio.

Things I like.........

1. uses "standard" 20 inch filters
2. No salt usage.
3. water tastes and smells great.

Cons.

1. filter changes are a tad messy, but not too bad.