Why is my oil level rising? B8200

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
So, the lift pump came in the mail along with some new oil filters. InTheWoods got me worried about damaging the motor so instead of running it to see if it made oil, I just went ahead and changed the pump and oil filter and looked online to see how much oil to put in it and saw this:

1724438740727.png

I put 4.1 quarts in, started her up, backed out of the garage and checked the dip stick. Way over full again. WTF? Little more googling, and I see the owners manual says this:
1724438886428.png

So it looks like I just over filled it the first time I changed the oil (and again just now). Think there's any harm in running it with three quarters of a quart more than the manual and dipstick says it should take? I'm wondering if it was later determined that the 4.1 qts is better because that's what all the current internet sources says the D950 engine takes? Split the difference? Stick with the manual?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would stick with the OEM manual specs/dip stick marker.

Thats about 25% more oil than recommended......I would 'suck out' a little or "drain out" a little.

Running an engine with 25% more oil than spec. is "Bad Mojo", and asking for trouble.

You are risking catastrophic failure for "little more work" than taking the oil drain plug out for "2 Mississippi" and sticking it back in.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, the lift pump came in the mail along with some new oil filters. InTheWoods got me worried about damaging the motor so instead of running it to see if it made oil, I just went ahead and changed the pump and oil filter and looked online to see how much oil to put in it and saw this:

View attachment 135750

I put 4.1 quarts in, started her up, backed out of the garage and checked the dip stick. Way over full again. WTF? Little more googling, and I see the owners manual says this:
View attachment 135751

So it looks like I just over filled it the first time I changed the oil (and again just now). Think there's any harm in running it with three quarters of a quart more than the manual and dipstick says it should take? I'm wondering if it was later determined that the 4.1 qts is better because that's what all the current internet sources says the D950 engine takes? Split the difference? Stick with the manual?
Adjust level to the full mark on the dipstick.

Dan

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, proper amount of refill is what brings the dipstick to full.

Drain a little off. I had to do that with a pressure washer other day.

I don’t care what manuals say. Will usually be less than the manual.

Drains are not complete.

I wouldn’t start with the 3.3 quarts listed in your manual next time either.

Maybe 2.75+ and check it…..just a suggestion.