Bats in my barn!

Beerlord

Equipment
Kubota L4802HST
Jul 1, 2024
Sumit, MS
We're about 6 weeks away from moving and living full time in Mississippi and have had a new shed built, the barn is being 30% redone with updated doors, aluminun all around the barn and whatever else is needed to get 2-3 horses their new home.
We knew there was a bat problem when we bought the barn but assumed the remodel would take care of them. A pro came out (actually twice and a 2nd pro after him) and did their best to seal up some tiny places they can get in a put extruders???? in so they can get out but not in. Nothing seems to do the trick. They keep coming back.
You're not allowed to kill them but I have to say, after spending $4500 over 6 months, I want to burn the mutha down! It's wearing on my patience.

Any ideas on what deterrents I can try to keep them away? I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
If you have a peaked metal roof, the bats can easily get in under the ridge cap. Best suggestion is spend time at dusk watching carefully until you can determine their exit point and then seal that area up. Good luck.

Beerlord

Equipment
Kubota L4802HST
Jul 1, 2024
Sumit, MS
If you have a peaked metal roof, the bats can easily get in under the ridge cap. Best suggestion is spend time at dusk watching carefully until you can determine their exit point and then seal that area up. Good luck.
Thanks, we did have some work done on the ridge cap but I already have someone coming to sealing with more screws and sealant.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can try putting up bat houses outside the barn. But not too far away.

You may want to keep the interior of the barn brightly lit and have light exiting any opening where bats go in so it is not looking like a dark hole.

You can try to put up cameras to see if you can find the entry points currently being used.

Good luck and keep using the professional services. It is difficult to get them out and keep them out as you are finding.

Beerlord

Equipment
Kubota L4802HST
Jul 1, 2024
Sumit, MS
Have to ask , what's wrong with bats ??
Far better that dang barn swallows !!!
First they poop everywhere and it smells and can be dangerous to some but, I'm not a horse guy (that's the wife's thing) but I'm told they can make horses sick.
I just heard from a neighbor that he has a relative that had a serious barn/bat problem and over the last 6 years, spent $48K!!!! I'd burn the barn down and start over!

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Years ago when I was young a neighbor hired me to spray the inside roof of his barn to get rid of the bats.
If I remember right it was linseed oil and ammonia he had mixed up . I went way up in the loft and had at it. I remember seeing the black stream of bats heading out the door as I sprayed....

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One other thought on this is to have the bats in the barn but build them a separate part to live in. Install some sort of ceiling in the rafters that is the floor of the bat house. I am sure that you would have to slope it and install some drainage system to deal with moisture. You would have to clean it out when the bats leave for the winter (assuming they do migrate).

That would at least separate the bats from the horses and people below.

I don’t know if that is even a good idea or a really bad idea so you can investigate it yourself if it comes off as something you might want to do.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As Russell said, I would try bright illumination along with the exclusion measures.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Spray foam the roof from below. It will seal up every point of entry. If you do the walls also, the barn will stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. One thing is for certain, it isn't going to cost $48,000 unless your barn is huge.

Beerlord

Equipment
Kubota L4802HST
Jul 1, 2024
Sumit, MS