Bleeding stubborn diesel engine, good or bad way?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
So one of my older engines that's on a water pump, (International engine this time not the perkins one) has an extremely hard to bleed fuel pump if it's ran out of fuel. It's a stationary pump so this does happen from time to time if I forget to check it.

I tried many things to bleed it but finally found one that works good. So you start by taking out the bleeder screws and using air pressure in the tank to pressurize the fuel. Once you get fuel at the bleeders and close them you unfortunately aren't done......

The design of this one if you crack an injector line it let's air back in so you are stuck rolling it over for like 10 mins. So a min or 2 every time you go by until it starts.

I tried using ether to bump it and hope the RPM got it to bleed but it didn't and I didn't want to just feed it either until it ran on it's own.

So basically I decided to use wd40 directly into the intake pipe and just feed it that slowly, it's a lubricant and it burns well so I figured it would be better than ether.

So I did that and after running on wd40 for about a minute or so it finally took and ran on it's own fuel pump.

My curiosity Is would this be bad for some reason? Something about wd40 that I'm not thinking of?

Also why on earth is this one engines injection pump so hard to bleed? At one time or another over the years I have had to bleed every engine we have and the worst I had to do was loosen an injector line for a second. Generally it's just fuel to the bleed screws and away you go. So why is this one such a nightmare?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have used propane to start both gasoline and diesel engines. I am sure that propane does not do any damage to gasoline engines. I suspect that propane does not do damage to diesel engines but I do not know for sure. I know that propane is much better than using ether though.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I have used propane to start both gasoline and diesel engines. I am sure that propane does not do any damage to gasoline engines. I suspect that propane does not do damage to diesel engines but I do not know for sure. I know that propane is much better than using ether though.
It's the fact that theirs no lubrication in an engine designed for an oil based fuel.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Have you tries bleeding the injector lines while the tank is pressurized?
Open the throttle all the way, and turn the engine over slowly until you get each line bled.
Just curious, what IH engine is it?