Printer Recommendations

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Yes, I know it's a tractor forum. However I DO value input from the people on here a lot more than the reviews found on the net. Looking for a print / copy / scan color printer for home use. I'm FED UP with HP and their obscene ink prices and want another brand. I've had an HP8610 for a while and although the quality is fine, the genuine HP ink cartridges cost as much as some new printers.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
If you REALLY want something that lasts and works well, spend the money on a laser printer. I have don this for 30 years and am certified tech on about every brand of printer there is...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m a tech idiot, but have had good luck with this for about a year.

Ink is relatively cheap and I got some aftermarket which seems fine.

We don’t print much, but it always seems ready to go.

Epson ET-2800.

image.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'm having some good luck with a Cannon Pixma. All the HP's I've had Sucked! and I have a draw full of cartridges from years past!!!!!
I buy expired cartridges at a deep discount to use in my color copier. I rarely use color and I have never had a problem with an out of date cartridge. It isn't like it is milk that spoils.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, I know it's a tractor forum. However I DO value input from the people on here a lot more than the reviews found on the net. Looking for a print / copy / scan color printer for home use. I'm FED UP with HP and their obscene ink prices and want another brand. I've had an HP8610 for a while and although the quality is fine, the genuine HP ink cartridges cost as much as some new printers.
I have a Brother MFC-L3770CDW laser printer/scanner that has been good over the past six or seven years and it's my second from them. I left the first with my ex wife who needed it more than I did and that one is still working well.

I'll never buy an HP printer again despite the fact that one of my best friends was a laser printer engineer for them in Boise for many years. My experience with an HP laser printer didn't go well.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you don’t need color printing, a gray scale laser printer can be a good option. I’ve been using a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M227fdw for a couple years for home a light small business use.

Toner isn’t cheap per cartridge but it’s pretty cheap per page. Last cartridge was about $90 but it lasts for about 3000 pages (about $0.03/page).

The auto document feeder for the copier/scanner is reliable for about 30 pages. You can scan multiple batches to one pdf so no real limit on document size.

The color printers drive me nuts with cost per page and drying up due to disuse of certain colors.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I bought an Epson eco tank 3 years ago. Thousands of prints and pictures later just had to open the second set of refill bottles it came with. Anything happens to it and another eco tank will replace it. I used to spend $100 every couple months for HP cartridges.

Reactions: 1 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I've had multiple printers through the years and am finally DONE with inkjet units. Perfectly good printers - but if you don't use them every day the cartridges and printing heads fail due to the ink drying up. So, since I don't need to print display-quality color photographs I went with a color laser a couple year ago and I couldn't be happier. After two years the color toner cartridges are still about 80% full, the black is at 50%. Absolutely no head cleaning needed! And the color printing is plenty good enough for me.

I chose a Brother MFC-L8900CDW printer. Yes, it is more expensive than an inkjet. But the cost difference will soon be made up in not having to buy ink cartridges every other month. And for two years it has been totally maintenance free.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Maybe look at Brother ? I have an older MFC one, black laser, no issues so far.
I don't need colour.
i second the Brother printer option. I have two. The second one is a combo unit that scans and is a laser printer. Monochrome which is all i need. The advantage for me is it is wifi compatable so both my PCs and Apple devices can print to it. I can buy cartridges off ebay cheap which work perfect and are high capacity.

Absolutely no regrets on this purchase...

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I bought an Epson eco tank 3 years ago. Thousands of prints and pictures later just had to open the second set of refill bottles it came with. Anything happens to it and another eco tank will replace it. I used to spend $100 every couple months for HP cartridges.
Yup, did the same, got rid of the HP and have never looked back. Got tired of the HP cartridge pricing and all the problems they have.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've had HP for a LONG time, 12-15 years or so. Have an HP Office Jet Pro 6978 right now and it's probably 6 years old, and had one just like it before this. Never buy ink cartridges for it, or the ones before this one. I buy the bottles of ink on the internet and fill the cartridges as needed. I only really need black though. I also go in and shut off HP wanting me to update and for them to tell me when I need ink. No problems what-so-ever.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I've had HP for a LONG time, 12-15 years or so. Have an HP Office Jet Pro 6978 right now and it's probably 6 years old, and had one just like it before this. Never buy ink cartridges for it, or the ones before this one. I buy the bottles of ink on the internet and fill the cartridges as needed. I only really need black though. I also go in and shut off HP wanting me to update and for them to tell me when I need ink. No problems what-so-ever.
I tried that but hp embedded expiration dates in the cartridges so they would no longer work after the date marked on the packaging. Printer would no longer recognize them and initiate. HP got sneaky once printers became hooked to the internet for mobile device printing.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sounds like the best advice is to take your best shot!

Many of us are happy with our choices, others who buy the same products maybe not.

Think about it, make a choice and cross your fingers. Probably will work for you whatever you choose.

IF not, we all can say “I told you so” LOL big time…LOL

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Another vote for the Epson.
Bought a Epson EcoTank ET-2850 last year for home use and kids homeschooling. Lost count of how many reams of paper it has printed and haven’t had to refill the ink yet.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Thank you for the information on what works for you. Just needed some input from real people. I'll do some snooping on those mentioned and move ahead!

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If you REALLY want something that lasts and works well, spend the money on a laser printer.

Agreed! 100%!

HP printers are good quality. But their software... There has been an ongoing problem with them that when on WiFi, computers can't connect to them. I have researched it and it goes back at least 15 years. In my house, we have about a dozen devices that need to print from time to time, and only about half are able to because they can see the printer on the network, but it will never connect.