B8200 Brake Refurbish

cmyoch

Equipment
B8200 4wd and B8200 2wd
Feb 18, 2023
Smithton, IL
I posted this same question on a Kubota Facebook page I belong to. Not sure what kind of response I will get from there. I have brakes that are non existent on my B8200. I believe this to be a relatively lower hour machine but it spent all of its life outside in the elements (based on the condition of the sheet metal). I adjusted the brake rod as far as it would go and still have no brakes whatsoever. Last night, I took the brake assembly apart expecting a mess in side. I'm surprised to see what appears to me as a healthy amount of material left on the shoes. The drum was dry but full of dust and dirt. My first inclination is to wash this all down, scuff the drum and shoes, and see if they work again. If not, what are the tolerances for the components so I can measure and see what needs to be replaced? Here are pictures of everything when I pulled off the cover. The pivot point turns freely and the shoes move out without issue. What suggestions do you guys have?
PXL_20240814_030202216.jpg
PXL_20240814_030205634.jpg
PXL_20240814_030224600.MP.jpg
PXL_20240814_030241972.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Take the shoes off and replace them. If you can't find some replacements, clean what you have and take them to a brake and clutch repair shop. They can reline the shoes. Get new wheel cylinder and install.

That damage is not from just setting out 30 years, it's been in some deep water!!

cmyoch

Equipment
B8200 4wd and B8200 2wd
Feb 18, 2023
Smithton, IL
Take the shoes off and replace them. If you can't find some replacements, clean what you have and take them to a brake and clutch repair shop. They can reline the shoes. Get new wheel cylinder and install.

That damage is not from just setting out 30 years, it's been in some deep water!!
This is good to know! I know nothing about the history of this machine. It was on my uncle's property and was used as a spare tractor to pull wagons. I assumed he purchased it initially as a parts tractor but it runs too well to be scrapped. I'll go ahead and get new parts for it.

cmyoch

Equipment
B8200 4wd and B8200 2wd
Feb 18, 2023
Smithton, IL
Called my local dealer and searched Messicks. Good Lord!! These parts must be made from precious metal. $435 per side just for the shoes!

A simple Google search is showing them in the $150 range per side which is better but still not cheap for small brake shoes. I don't have anywhere in the Midwest, St. Louis area that relines shoes that I can find just yet.

Where have you purchased brake parts from or where can I send these off to get relined? Any suggestions would be helpful.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If this is a low budget repair, do what you were planning and see what happens. If they work they work, if not you know what you need. I do have concerns about removing that drum, hopefully there are some puller holes to help get it off if needed, it is as much of the problem as the shoes are.

Reactions: 1 user

cmyoch

Equipment
B8200 4wd and B8200 2wd
Feb 18, 2023
Smithton, IL
If this is a low budget repair, do what you were planning and see what happens. If they work they work, if not you know what you need. I do have concerns about removing that drum, hopefully there are some puller holes to help get it off if needed, it is as much of the problem as the shoes are.
I admit I was surprised that everything unbolted very easy. Although rusty, all nuts and bolts for the wheel, fender, brake cover, etc. came off without issue. Maybe a little penetrating oil on the spline before I attempt to remove should do the trick.