Compression issue

Neil Gigha

Equipment
L2850. M5112
Aug 11, 2024
Uk
Hi. I have an L2850 which starts with no problems but knocks loudly. After about 20 mins of running it starts to squeel as if a piston is running dry. It also produces a lot of white smoke. I changed the injector on piston 1(front) but still smoking. It also still knocks. When I loosen injector pipe fuel sprays out but white smoke from exhaust disappears. There is no change in engine sound when I do this but if I loosen the other 3 injector pipes ( independently) the engine definitely looses power. My conclusion is that there is no compression on cylinder 1 and suspect liner or piston damage or piston ring stuck. Can anyone advise if it is likely to be anything else. I don't want to strip engine unnecessarily. Also would it be possible to blank off injector 1 without damage to injector pump. I suspect fuel is diluting lubrication in cylinder leading to sqeeling. Fuel is also definitely getting into the sump and have to change oil and filter often. Tractor is doing what I need of it but I need to let it rest after 20 mins. If I stop fuel diluting oil I think it will continue to work as a 3 cylinder. Any opinions would be very welcome. Cheers Neil

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi. I have an L2850 which starts with no problems but knocks loudly. After about 20 mins of running it starts to squeel as if a piston is running dry. It also produces a lot of white smoke. I changed the injector on piston 1(front) but still smoking. It also still knocks. When I loosen injector pipe fuel sprays out but white smoke from exhaust disappears. There is no change in engine sound when I do this but if I loosen the other 3 injector pipes ( independently) the engine definitely looses power. My conclusion is that there is no compression on cylinder 1 and suspect liner or piston damage or piston ring stuck. Can anyone advise if it is likely to be anything else. I don't want to strip engine unnecessarily. Also would it be possible to blank off injector 1 without damage to injector pump. I suspect fuel is diluting lubrication in cylinder leading to sqeeling. Fuel is also definitely getting into the sump and have to change oil and filter often. Tractor is doing what I need of it but I need to let it rest after 20 mins. If I stop fuel diluting oil I think it will continue to work as a 3 cylinder. Any opinions would be very welcome. Cheers Neil
Have you tried doing a compression check,...... on all cylinders?

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Neil,

I am not trying to be offensive but - IF this machine is knocking - shut it OFF and have it broken down soon! Running that machine in this format will only make fixing it more expensive when the time comes.

You have a ring that has broken, a piston that is slapping the cylinder wall (sleeve perhaps) and diesel is bypassing into the engine oil.

Running on 3 cylinders STILL pushes that 4th up and down - and when the rod breaks and pokes a hole in the side of the block, you will have wanted to have fixed that muuuuch earlier!