Changing Super UDT2

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
As we all know, the hydraulic system is a closed system and the oil in the system is not being contaminated like engine oil is. Many years ago when visiting the Bobcat dealer with a friend who was bringing his Bobcat in for service, he asked the service manager when it was time to change the hydraulic oil. The response was that they don't change the hydraulic oil based on low hours, but only when the machine gets 900-1000 hours on it or it has gone 3 or 4 years. This begs the question, why does Kubota want the hydraulic oil changed at 200 hours and only the filter changed at 100 hours?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As we all know, the hydraulic system is a closed system and the oil in the system is not being contaminated like engine oil is. Many years ago when visiting the Bobcat dealer with a friend who was bringing his Bobcat in for service, he asked the service manager when it was time to change the hydraulic oil. The response was that they don't change the hydraulic oil based on low hours, but only when the machine gets 900-1000 hours on it or it has gone 3 or 4 years. This begs the question, why does Kubota want the hydraulic oil changed at 200 hours and only the filter changed at 100 hours?
To start your basic premise highlighted above is incorrect. The hydraulic oil is constantly picking up contaminants during operation. Thats why the system has multiple filters.

Speculation as to the recommended schedule ? The 100 (50?) hour filter change is probably intended to account for the presence of any detritus left from the manufacturing process and higher than normal wear byproducts generated as the moving parts bed down.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well the cynic in me says it's a 'make money' reason, plain and simple.

After all there are millions of HST units in North America alone that NEVER get their oil changed or their filters cleaned.

I've owned dozens of riding lawn mowers, garden tractors and the ONLY ones I COULD change a filter on were the early 70s Fords. I'm still cutting grass with an early '90s Cub Cadet.
From a hydraulics viewpoint, no different. You have a tank,pump,motor, oil. Extras like valves and cylinders make no real difference.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
To start your basic premise highlighted above is incorrect. The hydraulic oil is constantly picking up contaminants during operation. Thats why the system has multiple filters.

Speculation as to the recommended schedule ? The 100 (50?) hour filter change is probably intended to account for the presence of any detritus left from the manufacturing process and higher than normal wear byproducts generated as the moving parts bed down.

Dan
Just to add - your hydraulic tank is vented to the atmosphere - it isn't a closed system by a long shot.

Remember - Heat causes the oil to degrade.

I think geared tractors will see less heat in the hydraulic oil unless you are running demanding attachments with hydraulic pumps/motors.

I've noticed my M59 HST works noticeably better after a 200h oil change - this machine runs way hotter than my similar horsepower TC55DA with EHSS. M59 has bigger pumps and moves a lot more oil around. For me oil and filter maintenance is cheaper than replacing pumps and buying new machinery.

At the end of the day you can save a lot of money by skipping oil and filter changes. Stick it to the man.