Extreme Newbie w 5 Acres

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
I've gone through a few of the newbie posts and didn't quite see what I'm looking for, so a new post. New both to land ownership of this magnitude and this magnitude of equipment. At age 46, I don't anticipate ever moving to anything bigger than this. Moving is too much work!

Just purchased 5 acres in SW WA, mostly pasture (or rather, grass, brush, and weeds at the moment), a lot of blackberry on the fence lines and down towards the creek at the bottom of the property. I'm thinking I need a sub-compact (not sure I could store anything larger in the shop). Some slope, but not too much. If you would:

1) Is there some tractors for dummies article or set of articles? I'm not a dummy, but I am not ashamed to admit ignorance. I was originally thinking a riding mower would do it, but now with all the blackberries and brush, need to move things here and there, desire to re-habilitate and re-wild some of the land, seems more is needed.

2) Recommend something. I'm thinking BX2380 for the following:
- Normal mowing (maybe 1+ acres)
- Mowing down brush (maybe 2 acres)
- Mowing down blackberries, moving them
- Moving wood, maybe rock and gravel
- Fill/level some areas
- Maybe fence repair
- Stuff I haven't even thought of yet

3) What else should I do / know / read that'd be helpful? I am planning on interrogating people at the nearest tractor dealership, but while I'm sure helpful, also assume some salesmanship.

Thanks. I've appreciated reading others' posts and great responses.

Reactions: 2 users

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I do pretty much what you are looking to do. We mow with mmm the one acre. We have a 4 ft brush hug for small saplings and brush. We habe small grapple and pallet forks to move wood and small logs. Bx can not lift alot. We use box blade to move dirt and resurface gravel drive and parking. Bx is good size but at times could use larger but then i would lose manueverability. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
You can never have enough tractor.....I would look at a B or LX. I own a B8200 for the acres I own. If I would go to 5-10 acres I would get an LX or L. The couple of grand difference is small compared to having enough when you need it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I've gone through a few of the newbie posts and didn't quite see what I'm looking for, so a new post. New both to land ownership of this magnitude and this magnitude of equipment. At age 46, I don't anticipate ever moving to anything bigger than this. Moving is too much work!

Just purchased 5 acres in SW WA, mostly pasture (or rather, grass, brush, and weeds at the moment), a lot of blackberry on the fence lines and down towards the creek at the bottom of the property. I'm thinking I need a sub-compact (not sure I could store anything larger in the shop). Some slope, but not too much. If you would:

1) Is there some tractors for dummies article or set of articles? I'm not a dummy, but I am not ashamed to admit ignorance. I was originally thinking a riding mower would do it, but now with all the blackberries and brush, need to move things here and there, desire to re-habilitate and re-wild some of the land, seems more is needed.

2) Recommend something. I'm thinking BX2380 for the following:
- Normal mowing (maybe 1+ acres)
- Mowing down brush (maybe 2 acres)
- Mowing down blackberries, moving them
- Moving wood, maybe rock and gravel
- Fill/level some areas
- Maybe fence repair
- Stuff I haven't even thought of yet

3) What else should I do / know / read that'd be helpful? I am planning on interrogating people at the nearest tractor dealership, but while I'm sure helpful, also assume some salesmanship.

Thanks. I've appreciated reading others' posts and great responses.
Good day.

Depending on how much you want to lift, push or pull, based on your described tasks I’d be thinking about 2500-3000lb machine. Weight gets the work done…That’s a good range that will give you a lot of flexibility and growth. If you ever plan to have livestock and lift round bales or totes of water maybe biggie size it. If not a machine in that weight range should be a good start.

Check out tractor mike videos and familiarize yourself with the principles of center pivot axle and tractor safety. Ask the forum questions….there are several mechanical geniuses that will be able to help(unfortunately I am not one of them).

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Where are you located in WA? I’m near Olympia. There’s a couple dealers I can recommend.

A BX will more than likely do what you need. A B2601 would be better. But, as some guys have already mentioned, you may want to consider a larger machine. I started with a B2601 and now have an L2501. The L2501 does everything I need but, more lift capacity would be welcome.

Mike

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Consider a B2301. For ~$4000 you get
* Slightly larger frame. As well as more weight capacity, the 3ph has more range of motion.
* 3 range transmission vs 2
* Position control 3ph vs 1/4 inching
* 10% larger engine

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
how tall are you and what do you weigh? I am 6'2" and 210 lbs and found the BX a bit cramped. I bought a B2601 for mowing and maintaining a little over 2 suburban acres. Get the loader and the hydrostatic transmission. I ordered mine with turf tires and the dealer loaded the rear tires. Perfect. Good luck.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have about 5 acres and bought an old gear drive tractor without a FEL It is around 17 HP.

It does everything I need because it has good ground clearance. I have heard a lot of people complain about having to remove the belly mower to work in the field since there is little ground clearance when mower is on. So you may want to consider if you really want a belly mower or a 3PH rear mower. You may want to consider a rear flail mower for the yard and for the fields. You can probably get a dealer to show you the cut quality on the flair mower if that is any concern to you.

I would get a front end loader for sure and possibly a backhoe if you can afford it. There are cheaper options to move dirt with (shovels or dirt scoops) but you won’t like the more manual methods.

I would get a hydrostatic transmission just for ease of use.

Dock Rocker

Equipment
L3130
Nov 29, 2020
Jackson, MS
Just a thought. Go rent a tractor to get the land beat into submission. That will allow you two things. One, you get the hard work done on a bigger tractor that you know will be capable. Two, you will know what you need when you are done. That will tell you if you neeed/ want a larger tractor for the future.

Once you have it mowed and ready, you can keep it up with a B series.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am biased of course, but I am a huge fan of the L series, specifically the 2501/2's .

I have 5 acres, but most of it is wooded currently.

The "2501/2" has 'lots of ass" for the "bigger jobs", but it's a good size for "smaller'ish" properties/jobs.

"Pound for pound", and "dollar for dollar" it's a great machine in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I have 5 acres of mostly cleared land. I have the BX1880 and it works perfectly for what I am currently doing. I am not saying get that one, but your budget could be your deciding factor if you are planning on buying a recent model.

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Great idea Dock Rocker. Get experience on another piece of equipment and see what you need. Also make sure you get the rental insurance well worth it.

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
I do pretty much what you are looking to do. We mow with mmm the one acre. We have a 4 ft brush hug for small saplings and brush. We habe small grapple and pallet forks to move wood and small logs. Bx can not lift alot. We use box blade to move dirt and resurface gravel drive and parking. Bx is good size but at times could use larger but then i would lose manueverability. Hope this helps.
Good day.

Depending on how much you want to lift, push or pull, based on your described tasks I’d be thinking about 2500-3000lb machine. Weight gets the work done…That’s a good range that will give you a lot of flexibility and growth. If you ever plan to have livestock and lift round bales or totes of water maybe biggie size it. If not a machine in that weight range should be a good start.

Check out tractor mike videos and familiarize yourself with the principles of center pivot axle and tractor safety. Ask the forum questions….there are several mechanical geniuses that will be able to help(unfortunately I am not one of them).

Thank you, i will definitely read that. The most exotic livestock would be goats, if even that!

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
Where are you located in WA? I’m near Olympia. There’s a couple dealers I can recommend.

A BX will more than likely do what you need. A B2601 would be better. But, as some guys have already mentioned, you may want to consider a larger machine. I started with a B2601 and now have an L2501. The L2501 does everything I need but, more lift capacity would be welcome.

Mike
Hockinson, so definitely a bit further south. Dan's Tractor Supply is all I see down here. I just can't imagine needing to lift all that much, but i don't know what I don't know!

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
how tall are you and what do you weigh? I am 6'2" and 210 lbs and found the BX a bit cramped. I bought a B2601 for mowing and maintaining a little over 2 suburban acres. Get the loader and the hydrostatic transmission. I ordered mine with turf tires and the dealer loaded the rear tires. Perfect. Good luck.
5'11" and too much. But my brother is in the ADU and will also be working the land. He's 6'7"... We'll definitely need to feel it out.

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
C
I have about 5 acres and bought an old gear drive tractor without a FEL It is around 17 HP.

It does everything I need because it has good ground clearance. I have heard a lot of people complain about having to remove the belly mower to work in the field since there is little ground clearance when mower is on. So you may want to consider if you really want a belly mower or a 3PH rear mower. You may want to consider a rear flail mower for the yard and for the fields. You can probably get a dealer to show you the cut quality on the flair mower if that is any concern to you.

I would get a front end loader for sure and possibly a backhoe if you can afford it. There are cheaper options to move dirt with (shovels or dirt scoops) but you won’t like the more manual methods.

I would get a hydrostatic transmission just for ease of use.
Yes, clearance does concern me some, as it's a bit bumpy with some areas with a solid grade (but short). I was assuming a rear mower and still using a regular lawn mower or string trimmer for all the finer areas near the house. Thanks.

Always Learning 78

Aug 7, 2024
PGsucks46*
Just a thought. Go rent a tractor to get the land beat into submission. That will allow you two things. One, you get the hard work done on a bigger tractor that you know will be capable. Two, you will know what you need when you are done. That will tell you if you neeed/ want a larger tractor for the future.

Once you have it mowed and ready, you can keep it up with a B series.
That's a good idea. I may be hiring it out for this first pass due to moving and timing and getting actual equipment on site, but maybe I can convince them to give me a quick tutorial on whatever they bring out.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That's a good idea. I may be hiring it out for this first pass due to moving and timing and getting actual equipment on site, but maybe I can convince them to give me a quick tutorial on whatever they bring out.
One other option to get the first clean up is to buy or rent goats and put “too many” goats where you want it cleared. They will pretty much clean it up from ground level to 6 feet (full size goats) and leave some fertilizer that may bring in the dung beatles to bury it and aerate the soil for free.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Okay, now ignore all the "buy an L, M, 600 horsepower ag tractor" unless you have a ton of money you want to spend. Then go for it.
But a BX or B will do everything you listed on a small 5 acre lot.
Then you'll have a nice light machine for mowing that won't damage your finished lawn, will be cheap to operate and cheap to maintain. And you can use all the money you saved to buy more implements because they are what does the work.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have never used a subcompact and there is one chore you describe that makes me wonder if the B or small L would be better. I’m talking about cutting the blackberries. The small wheels and the vulnerable hydrostatic fan on the underside make me wonder if using the BX for brush hogging is a wise area. No doubt it would do ok with cutting grass and weeds.