B7800 blowing 5A start/stop fuse, solenoid ok

Ray7800

Equipment
B7800
Aug 6, 2024
New Hampshire
Good morning and thanks for all of the support in these pages.

Short version - while driving the tractor to a neighbor the engine stalled. The starter wouldn't engage and when jumping the terminal posts it would roll over and the tractor wouldn't start. Upon inspecting the fuses, the 5A was blown. Replacing it and turning the key blows another. Disconnecting the "fuel shutoff" solenoid and the fuse stopped blowing, so I replaced the solenoid (silly me, $152 later) and the problem persists. I am looking for a wiring diagram and while I search I thought I would rely on your expertise.

BTW - it runs with the fuel shutoff solenoid removed & disconnect, starter operates, etc. Everything normal (except shutdown means you depress the plunger).

Thanks everyone!

Ray
B7800 with a few cool attachments.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
You might want to double check the manual on fuse size. 5A seems small for solenoid.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, so I just downloaded the op man from kubotabooks.
5A is correct rating/value/size for fuse
I don't have wiring diagram but..

question. is there ANYTHING else connected to that 5A fuse ?

also, disconnect solenoid and use ohmmeter to measure it's resistance. be sure to subtract 'zeroed test leads' value.

Ray7800

Equipment
B7800
Aug 6, 2024
New Hampshire
So, I am headed out to measure the resistance of the solenoid coil (both the original and new) and will report back. I think the fuse on the diagram below - just above "2" (key stop solenoid) only feeds two components. My little brain is saying if I replaced & verify "3" then it must be "2" and that seems more challenging to access. BOTH measure 16.2 ohms ***

I don't think there can be much more - except a chewed wire as opposed to a faulty component :(

1722946881176.png

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. somehow when you connect the stop solenoid, it's shorting the +12 'feed' to ground since the 5A fuse ONLY blows when it's connected.

If solenoid read 16 ohms, it's 'good' should only draw about 1 amp of current so won't blow 5A fuse.

it is a bit of a puzzler so carefully inspect that wiring. A picture of two might help.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here is the electrical diagram for the B7800 which is from the supplement to my B2910 WSM.

Looks like the fuel cut off solenoid is powdered through a 30 Amp fuse, and the 5 A fuse feeds the controller module, which energizes the coil of the relay that activates the fuel cut off solenoid.

Something doesn’t equate with the description of events the OP posted…

IMG_2042.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Looking at the electrical diagram for my B2910, The fuel cut off solenoid is powered by a five amp fuse.

The B7800 came out after I bought my B29 10. The B7800 is basically the same tractor without the deluxe features of the 2910.

I’m wondering now if the OP’s tractor might have been one of the first 7800s, and if it could have the same wiring as the 2910?

The B2910 does not have a controller module. I’ve read that during model transitions, some of the last units in the production run may be given the electrical circuitry of the new models. Perhaps the opposite is true as well? Just speculation... If the OP 7800 doesn’t have a controller module that would tell us something. I don’t have a clue where you might look to find that physically.

Ray7800

Equipment
B7800
Aug 6, 2024
New Hampshire
Here is the electrical diagram for the B7800 which is from the supplement to my B2910 WSM.

Looks like the fuel cut off solenoid is powdered through a 30 Amp fuse, and the 5 A fuse feeds the controller module, which energizes the coil of the relay that activates the fuel cut off solenoid.

Something doesn’t equate with the description of events the OP posted…

View attachment 134353 View attachment 134354
So, I can take photos but all you see is a connector, a fuse box, etc. What I did do is probe a bit looking for a short - testing the "Stop Solenoid" connector to ground I didn't detect a short. I replaced the fuse, turned the ignition on, and don't seem to get 12 volts. Looking more carefully at the schematic, the 2RW wire connects to the key switch, seat switch, and HST switch. That would imply a short to one of those switches, but I can't figure out why connecting the solenoid would make any difference.

I also measured both sides of the fuse (to ground) - 12 volts on one side (with key on), open on the other. puzzler.

Could it be something to do with the controller?

Saw the reply, thanks. I'll have to remove the shroud to see the other components.....

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So, I can take photos but all you see is a connector, a fuse box, etc. What I did do is probe a bit looking for a short - testing the "Stop Solenoid" connector to ground I didn't detect a short. I replaced the fuse, turned the ignition on, and don't seem to get 12 volts. Looking more carefully at the schematic, the 2RW wire connects to the key switch, seat switch, and HST switch. That would imply a short to one of those switches, but I can't figure out why connecting the solenoid would make any difference.

I also measured both sides of the fuse (to ground) - 12 volts on one side (with key on), open on the other. puzzler.

Could it be something to do with the controller?

Saw the reply, thanks. I'll have to remove the shroud to see the other components.....
I think the first thing you need to do is verify whether you have a controller module or not. The drawing that shows the controller module shows the 2RW wire feeding 12 V directly to three fuses and not connecting to anything else. (5, 10 &20 amp) With the five amp fuse feeding the controller module.

Very difficult to troubleshoot a problem if the drawing you’re using doesn’t match the hardware you have…

edit: I know from reading posts here in the past that the B 7800 does normally have the controller module and The B2910 dose not. Since I have a B-2910 this caught my interest previously.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How many wires feed the solenoid, and what color?
Not how many are at the plug as it will have 2 wires spliced together, but then that will tell you too if both wires are white.

The most common issue is the HST switch, next will be the seat switch and lastly the OPC controller.