stump bucket vs 3-py auger

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
I'm going to be given several large shrubs and a Japanese maple this fall. I don't really want to dig those holes in clay soil by hand. I'm not going to buy a backhoe, though I would love to have one. I could rent a mini excavator for around $450-$500 (for a day). Of course, then I wouldn't have a new implement. ;)

I'm thinking of a small stump bucket which seems to be around $1000 (maybe a little less for a Titan). Or I could get an auger for the 3 point hitch. There are several used on FB marketplace for $500-600 (one comes with an 18" auger).

I don't have any experience with a stump bucket. They look pretty handy though. It's been years since I've used a 3-pt post hole digger. I know they can be difficult in hard clay as they want to just screw into the ground.

I'd love to hear opinions from people with experience on which implement you think would be better for this use.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I made a 30" diameter by 36" long curved scoop bucket for digging small trees and bushes. Works well, works even better in moist soil.

Keep in mind these buckets put a lot of stresses on your loader that most SCUTs and CUTs were never designed for.

I would never attempt trying to dig out large trees by cutting their roots with the scoop bucket. Surefire way to break your machine. A ripper on a BH does a much better job. Digging out stumps takes a lot of effort which is why I prefer to rent or hire an excavator for large jobs to beat on their equipment.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible options..

hire whomever is digging the plants OUT, the job to dig holes to put them in ??

rent the miniex as you mentioned CLAY 'soil' !

3PT PHD only digs 1 size hole,unless you get SEVERAL 'drills' (aka $$$$$ )

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
I made a 30" diameter by 36" long curved scoop bucket for digging small trees and bushes. Works well, works even better in moist soil.

Keep in mind these buckets put a lot of stresses on your loader that most SCUTs and CUTs were never designed for.

I would never attempt trying to dig out large trees by cutting their roots with the scoop bucket. Surefire way to break your machine. A ripper on a BH does a much better job. Digging out stumps takes a lot of effort which is why I prefer to rent or hire an excavator for large jobs to beat on their equipment.
Yeah, I saw a video from Good Works Tractors. He designed his own stump bucket for SCUTs and it only only has 18" bucket depth. He said he designed it that way to help prevent damage to small tractors. I think to use a stump bucket correctly you need to focus on the curl function, not lifting or ramming the bucket into the dirt.

kubotasaurus

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2023
Indiana
possible options..

hire whomever is digging the plants OUT, the job to dig holes to put them in ??

rent the miniex as you mentioned CLAY 'soil' !

3PT PHD only digs 1 size hole,unless you get SEVERAL 'drills' (aka $$$$$ )
The company removing them isn't really local to me. I appreciate the thought though.

You make a good point about those augers being expensive.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Get a quote from a local landscaper. I have a post hole digger and wouldn't recommend buying one. A handy tool to have is a nursery spade with a foot pad. I bought mine maybe 10 years ago. I think its a "King of Spades" brand. Very sturdy compared to a regular shovel. The blade is flat and can be sharpened. I paid around $150 for it back then and it has earned it keep. You can cut thru roots, pry out rocks , slice thru that clay soil. Very manly , Good luck.

Last edited: