Sidekick 850 issues

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I WOULD ALWAYS BUY A DIESEL OVER A GAS MOTOR OF ANY BRAND, WHETHER IT BE A UTILITY VEHICLE, MOWER, TRACTOR ETC. EASIER WINTER STARTING, NO ETHANOL FUEL PROBLEMS AND DIESEL COST IS NOT THAT MUCH MORE THAN ETHANOL FREE. I'M ABOUT TO TRADE MY KAWA ATV FOR A DIESEL UTV.
I'M NOT THAT HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE RTV500 BUT THAT IS MY WIFE'S VEHICLE AND SHE DOESN'T MIND GOING SO SLOW.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I WOULD ALWAYS BUY A DIESEL OVER A GAS MOTOR OF ANY BRAND, WHETHER IT BE A UTILITY VEHICLE, MOWER, TRACTOR ETC. EASIER WINTER STARTING, NO ETHANOL FUEL PROBLEMS AND DIESEL COST IS NOT THAT MUCH MORE THAN ETHANOL FREE. I'M ABOUT TO TRADE MY KAWA ATV FOR A DIESEL UTV.
I'M NOT THAT HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE RTV500 BUT THAT IS MY WIFE'S VEHICLE AND SHE DOESN'T MIND GOING SO SLOW.
not everyone wants a slow utility vehicle. Not everyone wants the extra expense either.

850 sidekick was never my favorite. Kubota does ok on the RTV diesels, which are horribly slow, heavy, and no fun to operate (and expensive to fix....) and when they got into the gas UTV market, I told the reps to look at Kawasaki and Polaris and Yamaha, and then try to use those as an example. They did their own thing. Just like the 500. It was a flop. a few folks tolerate them but they were and still are (the 500 and 520 both) horribly underpowered, horribly rough riding, and don't have the features that other brands do. The reps said that their (then) new RTV400 was "better" than the Mule 610 so they sent some enginerds out to compare them. Nothing on the 400 was better than the Mule 610. Nothing. Rode rougher, noisier, same ground clearance, worse steering, terrible quality engine, rough shifting transmission, etc. The 610 was proven, and has been since 2006 I think, and Kubota thinks they're gonna compete? Not hardly. So they built the 850 sidekick which was supposed to meet the competition's offerings, and they failed there too. But it's less expensive and it has to be for people to buy it. The 850 has less ground clearance, rides worse, steering is kind of weird, the air intake is mounted lower, the belt is not sealed so when you cross a shallow creek, it's gonna slip, the belt area is also not ventilated well enough, it's a bear to work on (just like the diesels in some ways), the throttle is terribly jerky and very hard to control, parts are expensive, and this is just the beginning. But it's less expensive than a Ranger 1000...or a Viking...or maybe not a Mule 4010, but it is (or was?) less expensive than a Mule pro FX/T. Only way I'd have one for our little place, is if someone paid me to. Since that didn't happen, we picked up a used 2019 Ranger XP1000, and so far it's been a beast.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Knock on wood no issues yet on my sidekick. I wanted the diesel initially but didn't like the fact that is was a lot more expensive, way slower and had a lower tow capacity.

Fuel economy is really poor on the Subaru motor. Zoom zoom is fun though.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I'm in the process of restoring a diesel 2014 RTV1140,
I can attest to parts being expensive and some of the other items @lugbolt mentions.
All things marked "tractor" or such are expensive.
And I also wanted a diesel-powered machine.

However I don't need or want to go fast. I bought it specifically as restoration and to use for hauling dirt, logs, mulch and other stuff around the property. I really appreciate the hydraulic dump bed and strength of the frame.

I guess consider exactly what you need something like this for first.

And then there's that parade at Christmastime....

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Before you buy an 'RTV' do your homework ! Write down the 'specs' YOU need it to have, then go online and see what brand/model fills those 'specs'. It may not be a Kubota. Carefully consider what LB says as he's had a LOT of them (think he fixes them too ? ). Hauling a trailer ? What hitch does it have and towing capacity ??
I've never owned one,lots of neighbours do though,various makes and models,some like speed others carrying capacity and toughness. I'm pretty sure you can't go fast and carry 1,000# of firewood on a JEEP trail. When you go to dealers, sit in and pretend driving, check ALL the controls..are they EASY to get to ?. Same for dump box..easy to load? any 'safety features' that'll cause problems 20 miles into the dense bush ?? Check out repair parts costs..u-joints, half shafts, plastic 'bits', mirrors, etc.,delivery time for parts ??
It doesn't matter what 'color' the machine is IF it's stuck in your garage waiting 3-4 months for the ONE part needed to get it back 'up and running'.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901 RCR1260
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I am looking seriously at a Can Am Defender 700cc gas. What are your thoughts on Can Am or Polaris?
I need at least 10" ground clearance to get through my trails. It will have recreational use on county roads. Will not be doing any racing or mudding. The short beds are adequate.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
"Can-Am motorcycles had the worst reliability rating according to Consumer Reports with an estimated 42% of bikes needing repairs within the first four years. Still, 67% of owners said they’d buy a Can-Am bike again."

I've read that a lot of Can-Am users like their UTV's.

I know a few 3-wheeler owners and they are always dealing with issues and breakdowns. Like BM-Trouble-U's they seem to be fun when they are working.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I am looking seriously at a Can Am Defender 700cc gas. What are your thoughts on Can Am or Polaris?
I need at least 10" ground clearance to get through my trails. It will have recreational use on county roads. Will not be doing any racing or mudding. The short beds are adequate.
All 3 of the Can-am's I've owned have been bullet proof, zero issues other then normal maintenance. I have the Defender Limited now and love it. Used for play and work with Snowplowing all Winter.