were my l2501 brakes on the whole time?

willg

Equipment
l2501
Aug 28, 2022
L2501 HST, which I've had since new and it currently has 165 hours on it. I’ve never had to use the brakes or the parking brakes, as the machine has always stayed in place even on slight inclines. Recently, I noticed that it seemed to be moving more sluggishly. I initially thought it might be my imagination, but when it struggled to drive up my driveway (a very slight incline) in high gear, it became clear something was wrong.

I suspected the engine might be losing power and checked the usual fuel system components, but everything seemed fine. Then I came across a post suggesting that disconnected brake return springs could cause sluggish movement in high gear. While my springs were intact, I did find that the brake pedals had no free travel at the start of their stroke.

I adjusted the pedal rods to loosen the pedals, and the improvement was dramatic—the machine moved much more smoothly with less pump whine. It seems that for an unknown period, the brake pedals had been inadvertently adjusting themselves and keeping the brakes engaged.

The machine has never left my property and no one else has touched it. Could the brakes being slightly engaged for potentially 100 hours have caused any damage? Could this issue have been present from the start?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
L2501 HST, which I've had since new and it currently has 165 hours on it. I’ve never had to use the brakes or the parking brakes, as the machine has always stayed in place even on slight inclines. Recently, I noticed that it seemed to be moving more sluggishly. I initially thought it might be my imagination, but when it struggled to drive up my driveway (a very slight incline) in high gear, it became clear something was wrong.

I suspected the engine might be losing power and checked the usual fuel system components, but everything seemed fine. Then I came across a post suggesting that disconnected brake return springs could cause sluggish movement in high gear. While my springs were intact, I did find that the brake pedals had no free travel at the start of their stroke.

I adjusted the pedal rods to loosen the pedals, and the improvement was dramatic—the machine moved much more smoothly with less pump whine. It seems that for an unknown period, the brake pedals had been inadvertently adjusting themselves and keeping the brakes engaged.

The machine has never left my property and no one else has touched it. Could the brakes being slightly engaged for potentially 100 hours have caused any damage? Could this issue have been present from the start?
I have an L3901 and if the parking brake is set it becomes clear pretty quickly. It exhibits more HST whine and lacks power.

If you operated your tractor for 165 hours with no problems and it just suddenly started to whine and lose power the brake has not been set.

Which brings us to the mystery. Standard L's do not have self adjusting brakes and I can't imagine them getting that tight on their own.....

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

willg

Equipment
l2501
Aug 28, 2022
I have an L3901 and if the parking brake is set it becomes clear pretty quickly. It exhibits more HST whine and lacks power.

If you operated your tractor for 165 hours with no problems and it just suddenly started to whine and lose power the brake has not been set.

Which brings us to the mystery. Standard L's do not have self adjusting brakes and I can't imagine them getting that tight on their own.....

Dan
yea i would know for sure if the parking brake had been set, this just some how got adjusted by itself. I guess i just got used to it as it occurred, cause the machine now without brakes applied is great!

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Unless the machine was idling for the first 165 hours I think you would have known a bit sooner.

I have no idea whether kids, dog, ornery goat or maybe a Sasquatch set it…or is there another lever (does it have a cruise / throttle lock or something next to it) close and maybe the brake was grabbed on accident? I am not sure but I don’t believe you operated and used the machine that long without finding out sooner. Just my opinion though, unless you are extremely talented. (I bet you or someone bumped somehow whether you were aware or not is a different issue).

To me it seems stranger that in 165 hours you have not used the brake a single time…than it it was accidentally left on just once…id say consider yourself lucky it has never creeped off or rolled.

Be careful.

willg

Equipment
l2501
Aug 28, 2022
Good day.

Unless the machine was idling for the first 165 hours I think you would have known a bit sooner.

I have no idea whether kids, dog, ornery goat or maybe a Sasquatch set it…or is there another lever (does it have a cruise / throttle lock or something next to it) close and maybe the brake was grabbed on accident? I am not sure but I don’t believe you operated and used the machine that long without finding out sooner. Just my opinion though, unless you are extremely talented. (I bet you or someone bumped somehow whether you were aware or not is a different issue).

To me it seems stranger that in 165 hours you have not used the brake a single time…than it it was accidentally left on just once…id say consider yourself lucky it has never creeped off or rolled.

Be careful.
not related to parking brake, the brakes were engaged without touching the pedals

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have found a few L series with the brakes too tight right out of the crate during pre-delivery so they could have been a little tight since new. The free travel should have been checked at pre-delivery and the 100-hour service.

Reactions: 1 user

willg

Equipment
l2501
Aug 28, 2022
I have found a few L series with the brakes too tight right out of the crate during pre-delivery so they could have been a little tight since new. The free travel should have been checked at pre-delivery and the 100-hour service.
Do you think this would have done any damage if brakes have been on for a while?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Do you think this would have done any damage if brakes have been on for a while?
They probably have some accelerated wear. If they work well and do not chatter, you probably will not have a problem.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I had this once. Got my tractor stuck with no loader on so no self recovery, the missus came to help me get it out. Ended up with her driving it while I used a ratchet strap on a fence post to help. Not recommended, but it worked.

After she left I jumped on and discovered getting stuck had broken my tractor. It went, but badly, in any gear. Then I discovered that she thinks you set the parking brake when you get off the tractor. I almost never set it. Problem solved.