2022 BX23S STEERING PROBLEMS

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Is the transmission fluid full?

Can you get the fluid hot another way (like the backhoe) and see if it still does it?

Frederick willie

Equipment
bx23s
Jul 17, 2024
new york
i can mow 2 ackers and it works fine only happens when i use the loader so far the dealer has had it for 2 weeks i showed him it happening he's trying to make me believe this is normal i dont think so has anyone had this problem i have 188hr on tractor

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
It definitely isn't it normal.
I don't have that problem on mine (my hours are just above yours) but I do lose a noticeable amount of power when the fluid gets hot.
My hydraulic pressure was a little low so I did raise it and that helped some. But there's still a problem somewhere. I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet.

It would be nice to see if it only happens when there is heavy weight on the front axle, versus the fluid getting hot and thinner.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Did the tractor get its 50 hour service including new hydraulic filter? I assume it still has Kubota hydraulic fluid in it. What RPM’s are you running it at?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My 6 year old, 1400hr BX23S does NOT have a 'steering problem'. Even IF you take the loader off for mowing, I can't see HOW that could affect steering

Frederick willie

Equipment
bx23s
Jul 17, 2024
new york
It definitely isn't it normal.
I don't have that problem on mine (my hours are just above yours) but I do lose a noticeable amount of power when the fluid gets hot.
My hydraulic pressure was a little low so I did raise it and that helped some. But there's still a problem somewhere. I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet.

It would be nice to see if it only happens when there is heavy weight on the front axle, versus the fluid getting hot and thinner.

Frederick willie

Equipment
bx23s
Jul 17, 2024
new york
after using the loader and it starts happening. with no load it still doesn`t steer without moving the tractor. after it cools down the next i use it it`s fine

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
hmm..check the front axle to see IF there's ANY oil in it !
yellow plug, top left side of axle, be REAL CAREFUL pulling it out ! It's 'just' a tight press fit(o-ring seal) so it can come out at Mach 3.2 in a split second !!!

Reactions: 1 user

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
i can mow 2 ackers and it works fine only happens when i use the loader so far the dealer has had it for 2 weeks i showed him it happening he's trying to make me believe this is normal i dont think so has anyone had this problem i have 188hr on tractor
From my experience with my BX2350, it is normal for that to happen at about 300 hours. It is the center seal of the steering cylinder getting worn and leaking under high pressure. Depending on your mechanical ability, you could remove the steering cylinder and replace all the internal seals. There is a kit available from Kubota for that. Working in the cold winter, I got mine done in about 2 1/2 hours. I did mine at about 400 hours, and it could use the seals again now that there are about 850 hours on the clock.

Dave

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
From my experience with my BX2350, it is normal for that to happen at about 300 hours. It is the center seal of the steering cylinder getting worn and leaking under high pressure. Depending on your mechanical ability, you could remove the steering cylinder and replace all the internal seals. There is a kit available from Kubota for that. Working in the cold winter, I got mine done in about 2 1/2 hours. I did mine at about 400 hours, and it could use the seals again now that there are about 850 hours on the clock.

Dave
I never argue with a person’s experience because it is what it is, but I think the conclusion that it is normal, doesn’t quite fit my experience, and probably the experience of most other BX owners… more than that I don’t know!

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I don't think the fluid level in the front axle has anything to do with it. The steering system uses separate fluid.

I also don't think that's normal for a 50 series or an 80 series. I wouldn't think it would be normal for any seal on the vehicle to be leaking every 300 or 400 hours....

after using the loader and it starts happening. with no load it still doesn`t steer without moving the tractor. after it cools down the next i use it it`s fine
The fluid gets thinner when it's hot. Sounds like it's seeping past something.
Internally in the pump, the priority valve (not sure if that's the official name of it), or the steering system itself (definitely could be the seal mentioned above).
Do the implements get noticeably weaker when the fluid is hot? Or is it just the steering?
Have you checked your hydraulic pressure?
Fluid is full I assume.
RPMs are up and it moves just fine?
Front tire pressures are good?
The more you can narrow down the exact circumstances the easier it is to find the problem.

There is no direct link from the steering wheel to the steering rack, it's connected hydraulically.
If the dealer is trying to tell you it's normal, have them show you with one of the tractors on the lot. If it's normal they will be able to duplicate on another tractor.

I have leakage somewhere internally as well when it's hot. I have no problem steering, even stopped at idle.

Frederick willie

Equipment
bx23s
Jul 17, 2024
new york
the dealer has had the tractor for 3 weeks. after 2 weeks i went to the dealer and showed him how to make it happen. after showing him. he didn`t check the pressure and tried to tell me it was normal. the last thing he said he had to get back to kubota a case was open

Frederick willie

Equipment
bx23s
Jul 17, 2024
new york
i talked to service at my dealership today. he said that the kubota district service rep said this is normal. the district service rep is supposed to give me a call. the dealership has had my bx23s for 32 days. doesn't anyone like to solve problems anymore???

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
i talked to service at my dealership today. he said that the kubota district service rep said this is normal. the district service rep is supposed to give me a call. the dealership has had my bx23s for 32 days. doesn't anyone like to solve problems anymore???
If that’s the case, then somewhere in the operators manual, there should be a disclaimer saying that after two hours of use of the loader, the steering will not operate normally anymore.

Why would the operators manual not say that, unless it is not true to begin with?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: he said that the kubota district service rep said this is normal.

NO IT IS NOT !!!!!

District rep needs to GIVE you a 'loaner' until HE solves what's WRONG with your machine !!! This is a 'no brainer', costs Kubota very,very little if anything, depending on how they 'do the books'....Heck, the dealer should have offered a loaner after 1 week as far as I'm concerned.

As for my 'oil in front axle' comment. Every knows they do NOT fill the axles up. Now mowing tends to be easy, straight line type driving ,at 'speed' whereas loader operations usually involve, well, load on the front, short distances and lots of turning at low speed or ugh, not moving. Those operation increase the HEAT buildup in the axle and could be 'tightening' stuff. The fact that 'let it cool down - it's fine' could confirm what I'm thinking as a possible reason for the problem.