Are the diesel rtvs really that slow?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
You already got your answers, but here's my story.
I bought an RTV-X1100C because after owning a few Polaris atv's, I couldn't live with paying Polaris (or Can Am or Honda, etc) prices for a toy.
For comparison, here in Canada a Honda Pioneer and Talon are $36,000 and a Polaris with air conditioning is $50,000.
I bought my Kubota fully loaded with LED light bars front and rear, receiver hitch mounted winch front and rear, stereo, turn signals, rear protection plate, rear view mirrors and a Boss vee plow for $35,000 total.

Yes it's slower than the others but it's also built like a tank compared to the toy atv's. I can do 25 MPH on flat ground but it does drop to 7 MPH on my big hills. But it will also still do 7 MPH with AC on and a full dump box of gravel in it.

Wife and I love trail riding with it. It is loud in the cab on the road wide open at 25 MPH but it is way quieter than an atv on a leisurely trail pace.

I did end up buying a second side by side, a CF Moto Z-Force 950 HO EX just to have a faster machine when we go on our 100 to 150 mile trail ride loops, but I bought the Kubota and the CF for the same total price as buying a Polaris Ranger with cab and climate control
20240726_203524 (Large).jpg
20240726_203524 (Large).jpg
20240726_203450 (Large).jpg
, LOL

Reactions: 2 users

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
@PortTackFarm What kind of fuel consumption(hours or miles) you see with that 1000cc engine? and more importantly what kind of boat do you have that inspired your screen name?
I really have know idea on fuel consumption. Most of our use of the Ranger is just running around he property, often 100-200 yds. at a time. We've owned it since 2021 and I think we have a total of 60 miles on it.

As to boats, we have several small sailboats (Sunfish, Highlander, MC Scow, Windmill). We have ~44 acres, mostly woods and built a 72'x36' barndominium on the property a few years ago. Half of the barn is being finished out as a 4 bedroom, 1 bath house and the other half is shop with another full bath. The shop is mostly for storing sailboats during the winter, along with inside storage for the tractor, implements, zero turn and Ranger. Doing 90% of the work ourselves we're about done with the house side. Once we're done with it, we plan to put up a 36'x32' "machine shed" across the driveway from the barn to store the Kubota, Ranger, etc., (basically anything that burns fuel), and the bardo shop will become a wood shop and boat shop. I'll probably retire in 5-7 years and plan to build a few boats. The first will be a 26' power boat to cruise up and down the Ohio river. Our property is just a 2 miles off the river. I sail on the river and travel to various regatta's throughout the sailing season.

Reactions: 1 user

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
As to boats, we have several small sailboats (Sunfish, Highlander, MC Scow, Windmill).
I always enjoy talking sailboats!! We've got a Potter 15. I bought it last summer for a very low price, but its hull was cracked, no sails, and all of the rigging needed replacement. I've got it functional, but it needs a lot of help paint wise. That will be done this winter. Id like to get a larger boat for sailing in the Puget Sound, but the $$ for buying/maintaining/slip fees are a bit much for me. Im very envious of your boat shop!

But it will also still do 7 MPH with AC on and a full dump box of gravel in it.
Im assuming going downhill with that box full of gravel the diesel/hst provide decent engine braking to keep it under control?

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"

We named our property Port Tack Farm because in sailing when you're on port tack, you're the burdened or give way boat, in essence sailing against the grain. Having a boat shop on a farm in the middle of Kentucky kind of fits the definition of going against the grain, so we thought it was fitting. I built my first boat, the Windmill, 35 years ago in my back yard and have been sailing ever since. It'll be nice having a barn to build in when I'm retired. Speaking of envious, I'd love to be on the coast somewhere. I've never been to the Puget Sound area but hear its fabulous. My wife and I will be spending a week along the southern Maine coast in October for our 40th Anniversary. She doesn't know it yet, but we'll be visiting a few "boat shops" while we're there. The boat I want to build is a like Gatsby, a variation of Bowler, a Doug Hylan of Hylan and Brown design (Brooklyn, ME).

• Love

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
I have an RTV900 with over 800 hours on it. It is slow but I only use it on my 40 acres, so its been great for what I need.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I always enjoy talking sailboats!! We've got a Potter 15. I bought it last summer for a very low price, but its hull was cracked, no sails, and all of the rigging needed replacement. I've got it functional, but it needs a lot of help paint wise. That will be done this winter. Id like to get a larger boat for sailing in the Puget Sound, but the $$ for buying/maintaining/slip fees are a bit much for me. Im very envious of your boat shop!

Im assuming going downhill with that box full of gravel the diesel/hst provide decent engine braking to keep it under control?
I NEVER touch the brakes.I love the braking effect of hydro's. I will admit my Polaris's had good engine braking clutches too.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm gunna mention this on all the forums too, in the hopes someone from Kubota reads it.
I wish they would have used a forward/reverse pedal in the RTV's, same as their tractors, instead of a shift lever.
Would have made them so much nicer for plowing.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users