L Series Lift Capacity

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought my L3800 new in the spring of 2013 just before the smog crap was added. That helped push me into buying sooner. But one thing that's always bugged me is the 1000 lb max lift capacity.
I happened to run across a video and the link the larger hydrolic cylinders to add 30% lift capacity. I think my loader list a capacity of 1200 lbs. It's never done that. When I have steel delivered they know it has to be a max of 999 lbs if my order is over that they band it in two packs to unload separately. I'll be ordering a set soon.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
from tractordata...

No code has to be inserted here.
2nd number is the 'best' to remember.Kind of the 'real world'. 855# @ 20" out
Larger diameter cylinder will give more lift,hopefully the loader is designed for the extra load(should be....)
Also ,you'll probably have to add more rear ballast ! Offloading 'high and heavy' loads can 'teeter-totter' a tractor !!

4th number is kinda 'offloading trailer' number. 1.5m is about 4 1/2ft,sorta 'deck height' ?

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I have considered replacing mine with a tad larger cylinders as well. I would think you could just spec out a tad larger diameter with same stroke and buy them for half this price... Maybe just move up to a 2" bore?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
1200 lbs it can probably lift if it is right on the pins with no bucket.
Just be mindful of your loader capacity. I thought about doing this on my 2501 but then realized that the 3901 (uses the same loader) only lifts another 90 lbs over mine.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...I think my loader list a capacity of 1200 lbs...
Couple thoughts... tractors that have larger loaders are much wider and heavier than our "standard" L's. As long as you are on flat ground, you should be fine.

Have you checked your system's hydraulic pressure? (that was set at the factory) My guess it's set at the low end. I've been amazed at what my tractor has picked up since I jacked my pressure to 2500 psi. Yes, there are risks in doing that - I hope with the loads you are lifting you have more than enough ballast hanging behind the tractor.

~$1,600 to replace all 4 hydraulic cylinders seems excessive and like my pressure increase, the weak link will be hoses bursting and loads slamming to the ground. Plan a head for that as a possible thing to happen.

Also, watch for leaks in your front axle seals in the future (I do...)

Plenty of videos on Youtube that show the increase in lift with the new cylinders...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Load lifting isn’t just a loader capacity issue. Loaders are specifically designed for tractors and paired with the the weight, width, and stability of tractor. You might be able to lift more with the loader, but is this safe using the same tractor platform?

Reactions: 2 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Load lifting isn’t just a loader capacity issue. Loaders are specifically designed for tractors and paired with the the weight, width, and stability of tractor. You might be able to lift more with the loader, but is this safe using the same tractor platform?

You see several of the korean tractors (TYM, Branson, Kioti etc.) that are same size or smaller than the L series with MUCH higher lift capacities. Not saying that it's safe, or won't be detrimental to the longevity of those tractors, but it doesn't seem that they took the weight or width of the tractors much into consideration. I think they should be heavily factored in though...

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You see several of the korean tractors (TYM, Branson, Kioti etc.) that are same size or smaller than the L series with MUCH higher lift capacities. Not saying that it's safe, or won't be detrimental to the longevity of those tractors, but it doesn't seem that they took the weight or width of the tractors much into consideration. I think they should be heavily factored in though...
My personal experiece with my L3901.

Max load at max height isnt a warm fuzzy feeling just sitting still let alone trying to move the tractor.

A bit more lift capacity down low would be welcome but the quick attach tower is pretty unhappy as is.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
True.

Don't know the brands mentioned, but friend has a Mahindra. Similar to a B or LX series Kubota.

Lift is rated 1,800 pounds +/- if I recall.

Don't think tractor weighs 1,800 pounds. Not sure how that works.....

Last edited:

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
On winters here where we do get some serious snow and I plow up banks with my pickup. Eventually I use the tractor and bucket to push the banks back. That task there I seem to run out of 'ump' with the loader.
I'm certainly not driving around with 900lbs of angle iron up in the air. It's 30" off the ground when I'm moving.
But looks like a easy fix to the issue.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
True.

Don't know the brands mentioned, but friend has a Mahindra. Similar to a B or LX series Kubota.

Lift is rated 1,800 pounds +/- if I recall.

Don't think tractor weighs 1,800 pounds. Not sure how that works.....
I think it’s more for sales advertising than actual use.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think it’s more for sales advertising than actual use.
Absolutely.

While buying it, he restated several times how much more the Mahindra loader was rated compared to a similar Kubota.

I questioned the rating on such a small machine, but I think it was a major part of his decision to buy the Mahindra.