Lifting zero turn mower to remove blades?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
How do you all do this? I’m not planning to buy a mower lift for a couple hundred dollars. Chain trolley from barn rafter? Tractor loader bucket? I’m looking for ideas instead of dropping the deck.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I set the mower deck to max height. Put a 2.25 ton floor jack under the front axle and raise it to full height. That gives me enough room to get a Milwaukee M18 high torque impact under it to pop the blades off. Used an air impact before the Milwaukee. I put one arm under the deck; no other body parts. Worst case, if the jack fails and it falls, with the deck all the way up it still clears my arm.

That jack has yet to fail, but I’ve had a hydraulic jack catastrophically fail while I was under a truck (appropriate blocking saved me from being crushed), so I’m not getting any body parts in a crush/pinch area, and have no reason to for that operation.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I set the mower deck to max height. Put a 2.25 ton floor jack under the front axle and raise it to full height. That gives me enough room to get a Milwaukee M18 high torque impact under it to pop the blades off. Used an air impact before the Milwaukee. I put one arm under the deck; no other body parts. Worst case, if the jack fails and it falls, with the deck all the way up it still clears my arm.

That jack has yet to fail, but I’ve had a hydraulic jack catastrophically fail while I was under a truck (appropriate blocking saved me from being crushed), so I’m not getting any body parts in a crush/pinch area, and have no reason to for that operation.
Thanks. I’ll give that a try. I assume that you also block the rear wheels?

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I drive the front zero turn wheels into the bucket. Carefully lift, and curl the bucket back a bit to keep the wheels in a pocket. Then use jack stands under bucket and set brakes on both machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

That is exactly what I do. Right down to the tools used!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seriously though. Lots of folks showing off. 😂🤣😂🤣

This is what I purchased from Harbour Freight for my zero turn. I strap the carriage to prevent it from rolling off.

You drive the front tires onto the ramp. I strap with a ratchet strap for extra safety.
1000018227.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How do you all do this? I’m not planning to buy a mower lift for a couple hundred dollars. Chain trolley from barn rafter? Tractor loader bucket? I’m looking for ideas instead of dropping the deck.
I put a web tie down strap around the front of the ZT mower, and lift with my loader bucket hook, until the tail end of the machine touches the ground.
I then put a jack stand under the front edge of the mower, and lower the mower until it rests on a jack stand.
Easy to then reach under to scrape the mower housing clean, and/or replace the blades.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Seriously though. Lots of folks showing off. 😂🤣😂🤣

This is what I purchased from Harbour Freight for my zero turn. I strap the carriage to prevent it from rolling off.

You drive the front tires onto the ramp. I strap with a ratchet strap for extra safety.
View attachment 133945
I was looking at those and they are probably the best solution, but I was trying to avoid adding more junk to store in my shop.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was looking at those and they are probably the best solution, but I was trying to avoid adding more junk to store in my shop.
I got it shortly after getting the zero turn and before I owned a tractor with a loader.

My son has been using my zero turn for the past few years. When I dropped it off at his house, I dropped the lift off with it.

Of course when I repo my zero turn, I'll be repoing the lift as well 😂🤣😂🤣🤣