L4850 gear shift lever won’t go into gears

Proline

Equipment
L4850 tractor
Jul 26, 2024
Land01cruiser
Just bought tractor. Got it running but when I try gear selection it’s stiff will only cross over in neutral on H pattern won’t go into gear selections
Forward reverse selector on steering column stiff to turn selector so freeing that up by tapping it
Does hydrolic oil have to be full to make above work I’m stumped
Cheers

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You may want to edit your title - you have an unfortunate typo. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just bought tractor. Got it running but when I try gear selection it’s stiff will only cross over in neutral on H pattern won’t go into gear selections
Forward reverse selector on steering column stiff to turn selector so freeing that up by tapping it
Does hydrolic oil have to be full to make above work I’m stumped
Cheers
My answer is a generic one not specific to your tractor
Your symptoms are typical of a gearbox which has gotten into two gears at the same time.
This can happen when the clutch is out of adjustment and you are using a loader.
You dig into a pile in first and then want to go into reverse but because the clutch is not fully releasing you force it. The selector fork for first stays engaged and the fork for reverse moves the sliding gear.
Now you are in two gears at the same time.
l4850 shifter forks.jpg

Dave

Proline

Equipment
L4850 tractor
Jul 26, 2024
Land01cruiser
Appreciate that no loader front had been sitting a year or so, hot water out of injectors it starts first pop runs sweet but as said apart from forward reverse on steering being seized up which now can start working lose the gear selection won’t budge, we have remove the seat for better access and can see the outer ( neutral shift slide across the H but trying to shift gears doesn’t shift inner tube , it looks like it’s part of the hydrolic casing hence y I thought hydrolic oil
Can’t get hold of a manual for the components to see if the inner gear casing turns or is just a brace

Proline

Equipment
L4850 tractor
Jul 26, 2024
Land01cruiser
Appreciate that no loader front had been sitting a year or so, hot water out of injectors it starts first pop runs sweet but as said apart from forward reverse on steering being seized up which now can start working lose the gear selection won’t budge, we have remove the seat for better access and can see the outer ( neutral shift slide across the H but trying to shift gears doesn’t shift inner tube , it looks like it’s part of the hydrolic casing hence y I thought hydrolic oil
Can’t get hold of a manual for the components to see if the inner gear casing turns or is just a brace

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That spring in one of the last two pictures does not look like it was there originally from the factory. There is so rust and grime on most of the parts shown in the photos. What are you trying to show us with these pictures?

What type of transmission system is this? Gear, hydrostatic, glide shift…?

Can you see what is trying to move when shifting and see what is stopping it?

I don’t really know anything about your tractor either but I agree with @Dave_eng that it is probably internal to the transmission if it is gear transmission.