BX1870 Questions

bamashooter

Equipment
BX1870
Jul 26, 2024
Alabama
Greetings all. Newbie here. Recently began using my deceased FiL's Kubota BX1870 to mow my MiL's yard. Close to 2 acres. Love the diesel, hydraulic deck, power steering, and 4wd. Good enough speed. Just a tad slower than my Z mower but more than good enough. Phenomenal fuel mileage. Believe it's a 2012 or 13 model. Other people have been using it for the past 5 years. Perhaps annually, only during those 5 years, it would be "serviced" annually at the dealership. I'm trying to bypass that expense if possible. I can turn a wrench better than Cher or Goldie Hawn but, possibly not much more. I know nothing about diesels.

This morning

I topped off the radiator coolant which wasn't visible in the burp bottle and a solid inch beneath the radiator cap opening. The burp bottle level is now correct as well.

Oil was 2/3 quart low. Seems like I read the diesel only has a capacity of 3.06 qts. Looks like that's with filter; 2.9 without. Topped it off with some Rotella I found. My understanding is a diesel requires diesel - specific motor oil.

Found a screen between radiator and instrument panel cowling. Removed and cleaned. Vey filthy. Went to insert it, looked down in that narrow space and it was jam packed with packed dead grass. Got it all cleaned and sprayed radiator well. I believe the mower sighed in relief.

1. No manuals. I see several in ebay, etc with bold type on top; WSM. They mostly range from high 20.00s to high 30.00s. Are they worth having or junk? If decent enough, are they thorough enough where I don't need the basic operator manual?

2. Throttle lever vibrates to less throttle if not held. I found a youtube showing basically a near-floppy lever on a similar Kubota. Corrected by removing lower screen, accessing a couple of nuts and tightening them and using a thread locker. Hopefully this will correct this specific issue. Suggestions welcome. I was told this issue started a month or so ago.

3. The knob for setting deck height lowest limit is very messed up. Pretty sure it doesn't work and has a set of vise-grips on its shaft. I turned the grips easily but it did nothing regarding height limiter. Would really like to have that working. The hydraulic side of the deck works fine. But sometimes I have to bump it for changing heights if needed. Bumping is a royal pain. I need a lowest setting limiter. The lowest now is in the dirt.

4. Yesterday evening I left the deck stored in its highest position. This morning it had leaked down to the ground. Is this common? Major repair?

5. The right hand instrument panel is dark. It looks like on the internet there should be both a fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge. Thoughts?

That's about it for now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Greetings all. Newbie here. Recently began using my deceased FiL's Kubota BX1870 to mow my MiL's yard. Close to 2 acres. Love the diesel, hydraulic deck, power steering, and 4wd. Good enough speed. Just a tad slower than my Z mower but more than good enough. Phenomenal fuel mileage. Believe it's a 2012 or 13 model. Other people have been using it for the past 5 years. Perhaps annually, only during those 5 years, it would be "serviced" annually at the dealership. I'm trying to bypass that expense if possible. I can turn a wrench better than Cher or Goldie Hawn but, possibly not much more. I know nothing about diesels.

This morning

I topped off the radiator coolant which wasn't visible in the burp bottle and a solid inch beneath the radiator cap opening. The burp bottle level is now correct as well.

Oil was 2/3 quart low. Seems like I read the diesel only has a capacity of 3.06 qts. Looks like that's with filter; 2.9 without. Topped it off with some Rotella I found. My understanding is a diesel requires diesel - specific motor oil.

Found a screen between radiator and instrument panel cowling. Removed and cleaned. Vey filthy. Went to insert it, looked down in that narrow space and it was jam packed with packed dead grass. Got it all cleaned and sprayed radiator well. I believe the mower sighed in relief.

1. No manuals. I see several in ebay, etc with bold type on top; WSM. They mostly range from high 20.00s to high 30.00s. Are they worth having or junk? If decent enough, are they thorough enough where I don't need the basic operator manual?

2. Throttle lever vibrates to less throttle if not held. I found a youtube showing basically a near-floppy lever on a similar Kubota. Corrected by removing lower screen, accessing a couple of nuts and tightening them and using a thread locker. Hopefully this will correct this specific issue. Suggestions welcome. I was told this issue started a month or so ago.

3. The knob for setting deck height lowest limit is very messed up. Pretty sure it doesn't work and has a set of vise-grips on its shaft. I turned the grips easily but it did nothing regarding height limiter. Would really like to have that working. The hydraulic side of the deck works fine. But sometimes I have to bump it for changing heights if needed. Bumping is a royal pain. I need a lowest setting limiter. The lowest now is in the dirt.

4. Yesterday evening I left the deck stored in its highest position. This morning it had leaked down to the ground. Is this common? Major repair?

5. The right hand instrument panel is dark. It looks like on the internet there should be both a fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge. Thoughts?

That's about it for now.

Thanks.
You can download free Operator's Manual and Work Shop Manual at KubotaBooks.

The throttle lever probably has an adjustable friction.

Reactions: 1 user

bamashooter

Equipment
BX1870
Jul 26, 2024
Alabama
You can download free Operator's Manual and Work Shop Manual at KubotaBooks.

The throttle lever probably has an adjustable friction.
Thank you. Luckily after posting, I went looking and quickly landed on that site. Download 3 PDFs. I believe that video I watched would have indeed shown that "fix" to have been on an adjustable friction - type mechanism. This one has the same 2-nut mechanism. Will soon find out if that takes care of it.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Your deck height can/should only be adjusted with the deck fully raised.

You're correct about adjusting the throttle's friction.

The deck and 3-point hitch leaking down overnight is normal - nothing to worry about.

Good catch/call on cleaning the radiator screen. Check the engine air filter, too.

Check the hydraulic fluid (yellow dipstick adjacent the 3 point hitch, right side). and the front axle (left side, yellow cap). If the hydraulic fluid is low, use ONLY(!) Kubota fluid.

Grease the deck - about half a dozen zerks on the deck, and one on each bogey wheel. While you have the grease gun out, look for a zerk at the forward/reverse pedal area. Current models have a flap in the floor mat with a zerk under it. YMMV.