Are the diesel rtvs really that slow?

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
After lots of hemming and hawing and sitting on the fence I ’think’ Im finally ready to drop some cash on a utv. I crawled around a few of the utv’s out there, and keep coming back to the diesel rtvs(rtv-x and rtv-x1130). They ‘looked less plasticy’ and more like a tool vs a toy. However as Ive been looking into them, I keep reading about that they are slow, like REALLY slow! Like top speed up a hill of around 12mph, unloaded or loaded. I understand they are torque monsters, i‘ll use my tractor to pull tree stumps.

i was drawn to the 1130 for the 6’ish foot long bed, and the diesel appeals to me since I already get that delivered to my property and have a small fueling station setup for diesel.

Im looking for any real world users/owners testify to real world speeds Vs internet regurgitation?

I dont need 50 mph, but 12 mph is too slow. It will get a fair amount of use on the steep forest roads that lead up into the mountains from my property for cutting wood and more importantly, fishing.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
My 2023 RTV-X is slow. Have gotten it up to 20mph going down the hill in front of my house on the road. I asked why it wouldn't hit 25 like advertised and was told you either get the faster speed or low end torque so adjusting it to go faster would take away low end. They supposedly come from the factory adjusted for best overall performance. Mine has gobs of torque up to about 8 mph but over that it bogs on my hill and you have to let off the accelerator to keep it at a constant speed. Not like the sidekick that would run fast up to the Rev limiter that was set at advertised speeds and it didn't need a half mile to det there. I was told as it gets more hours it should speed up. Definitely take one for a ride to form your own impression as some may be happy at that speed on rough ground. My granddaughter named the RTV Sloowpoke. I don't know why it only has a 1300 pound tow rating. The shifter can be ornery at times also even with the brake pedal fully depressed.

Reactions: 1 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
After lots of hemming and hawing and sitting on the fence I ’think’ Im finally ready to drop some cash on a utv. I crawled around a few of the utv’s out there, and keep coming back to the diesel rtvs(rtv-x and rtv-x1130). They ‘looked less plasticy’ and more like a tool vs a toy. However as Ive been looking into them, I keep reading about that they are slow, like REALLY slow! Like top speed up a hill of around 12mph, unloaded or loaded. I understand they are torque monsters, i‘ll use my tractor to pull tree stumps.

i was drawn to the 1130 for the 6’ish foot long bed, and the diesel appeals to me since I already get that delivered to my property and have a small fueling station setup for diesel.

Im looking for any real world users/owners testify to real world speeds Vs internet regurgitation?

I dont need 50 mph, but 12 mph is too slow. It will get a fair amount of use on the steep forest roads that lead up into the mountains from my property for cutting wood and more importantly, fishing.
I bought a new RTV X 1000C back in April. Finally have had time to use it some. Got a little over hundred miles on it now. If your looking for break fast speed keep looking. I like mine a lot. AC has been nice in this hot weather. It runs 25 MPH on the flat with the AC on and will pull down to 18 MPH on the hills. I also wanted a diesel as we have fuel in tanks on the farm. Wanted a HVAC system and HST drive no belts. It narrows real quick to Kubota. I am mostly going to be out on the farm and gravel roads. I don't need a lot of speed. I wish they did make the cabbed model with the longer bed. I would buy it again.

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
@Sidekick @hedgerow have either of you installed the hand throttle kit from Kubota? From what I understand it was more designed for people who run snow blowers or power brooms, but ‘can’ provide more speed and power for normal driving???

thanks for the feedback

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
@Sidekick @hedgerow have either of you installed the hand throttle kit from Kubota? From what I understand it was more designed for people who run snow blowers or power brooms, but ‘can’ provide more speed and power for normal driving???

thanks for the feedback
Mine does have the hand throttle on it. The only thing I have used it for is to idle it up a couple of times when I had it parked with the AC running. I think there are some adjustments that can be made to get a little more speed. I just don't need any more speed. In my area you will have less trouble with the law on the road if you are going slower with a flag and a SMV sign on your rig. Side by sides are only legal around here on the public roads for AG use. Some of the smaller towns have some laws that allow them in town with a town plate and a flag.

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,

thanks for the feedback
I have not. Was told there isn't a way to raise speed and the ones they sold have been the same. Remember this is the replacement for the 900. Only thing I had to do was go with aftermarket wheels with 50 mm offset to widen the track width to add stability on hills and match the sidekick track spacing on my trailer. Went with orange aftermarket wheels that I bought through Summit Racing for 55% less. I only have 50 miles on mine. It was very tippy with stock wheels.
1000002039.jpg

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
How old are you Chris?
And do you have atv trails to ride hundreds of miles on should you want to pack a lunch and have some fun ?
A polaris ranger is certainly tuff enough to work around the house but goes fast enough to out run the game warden if you have a cooler of short trout.
I've never owned a rvt but have rode in one. It was like riding in a tank. For me. Go anywhere slow.

Reactions: 1 user

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
How old are you Chris?
And do you have atv trails to ride hundreds of miles on should you want to pack a lunch and have some fun ?
Not quite 50, and yes hundreds of miles of roads and jeep trails from my door. I think im hearing the diesel kubota isn’t what Im looking for….

@Sidekick I like your custom sticker!