Need help accessing the clutch safety switch on a B7800

TJIC

Equipment
B7800
Jul 23, 2024
Weare, NH, USA
I've owned a B7800 for 10 years. Bought used, now 1100 hours.

Recently it's gotten harder and harder to start - turning the key lights up the dash, and I hear a click of a relay, but no power to the starter. Jiggling the clutch pedal, the PTO controls, etc often gets it started ...after 2 / 3 / 4 tries ...but it's gotten worse. Now can't get it started at all.

I'm 99% sure that one of the safety switches is the problem.

I've taken off the panel under the seat, and used a multimeter to test both seat switches, both PTO safety switches, and the HST switch. All switches are good, but I jumpered them just to be sure.

The last switch is the clutch safety switch. I've located it, but assume [ perhaps incorrectly ] that I need to remove a body panel to access it. I've taken off the dash and just learned that the fuel tank is in the way. I started taking off the hood and removing the firewall, but I'm not convinced that this is the right approach.

How do I get access to the switch and the 2-wire connector to either jumper it for testing, or remove the switch to test it at the bench / replace it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have you tried moving in the seat, moving the PTO lever and moving the HST pedal as you turn the key?

The switches can all be good - but the closing of the circuit may be the problem - the pressure against the switch may be the problem

Reactions: 1 user

TJIC

Equipment
B7800
Jul 23, 2024
Weare, NH, USA
Have you tried moving in the seat, moving the PTO lever and moving the HST pedal as you turn the key?

The switches can all be good - but the closing of the circuit may be the problem - the pressure against the switch may be the problem
Will give that a shot, thanks ... but even if that works, I still want a permanent SOLUTION.

I did adjust the linkage from the clutch pedal to the flange that pushes against the clutch safety switch to add extra throw.