New tractor buyer

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Some are saplings others will meet up a chain saw and be drug out. The more I can do before the excavator shows up the better. I might rent a small excavator to help with that problem. Also I'll need it for electrical and water trenches, 48" to get below frost line. I don't care for the backhoe setup on these tractors. Also I need another 24 hours per day to get it all done. Lol the red line represents approximately where the shop will be.
You're near McCall, ID so a very nice area for sure. My house is at 3,200 ft and even with wheel weights and loaded tires, a snow blower on the back and hydraulic angle snow blade up front, the MX6000 doesn't struggle one bit with the 200ft in elevation change on the driveway. That's 200ft in less than 400 yards to give some idea of the grade.

Extra hp buys you some wiggle room once the tractor is loaded down with weights and implements. I still think that an L6060 or MX6000 is the way to go, with the L being the fancier of the two of course. There's nothing that an L6060 can do that an MX6000 can't, at least nothing important, but it's a nicer cab and it has a superior hydrostatic transmission. I just can't get past the tiny front wheel/tire combination on the L6060, so even though I looked at them, I decided on an MX .... and an M6060 of course which is an entirely different animal.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The OP specified an L4479 (front mounted) snow blower; it will require a mid-PTO.

The only tractor options over 25HP are: LX, Grand L and L60 LE.

If you want/need the Turbo for altitude, your only choices are:

LX4020 or Grand L 50/54/6060. The LX4020 to L6060 price spread is about 15K, with the others in between.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Hey all, I just purchased an 8 acre parcel in new meadows, Idaho. My excuse to buy a tractor. I have about 500 yards of road to keep snow off plus around the home, shop, barn and a few out builds. The road is dirt and gravel. I have approximately 1 acre of pasture. The rest of the property is forest. So I’m thinking about a Grand L6060 with these implements, L1055 loader with L2296 bucket and bolt on cutting edge tl1748. L4479 snowblower with these parts, L8387 mid pot, L4431 comp kit, L4455A frt quick hitch, L4483 driveline ( with 8 hrs install) LAN BB1272 boxblade. I’m I going way over kill on this tractor? Every out here say the more horses the better. Out the door 85.5K. Is it worth throwing the no sales tax in Or. at a dealer in Boise area? Also looking to add a pallet fork, I like the TITAN PRO DUTY forks. Planning on Kubota insurance and is an extended warranty.
. Been enjoying the forum and trying to get educated of all the stuff. In the past I’ve operated skid steers and some backhoe work.
thanks to all’ya

forgot to add comes with the R4 tires, and adding 200 per back tires for ballast, bio stuff.
If money wise you can swing this set up its the way I would go. I ran a three point snow blower for years when we lived on another farm we own with a 1/2 mile of drive way and back then we had cattle and moved a fair amount of snow for them. I would never have a three point snow blower again. Got tired of turning around. Been moving snow with a skid steer for years now and the tractors just stay in the shed around here in the winter. If your going to only have one power unit I would get one I could put a blower on the front. The Grand L6060 looks to be a nice set up.

Reactions: 1 user

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Looking, snow blower, disking, gravel / dirt road maintenance.
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id
The OP specified an L4479 (front mounted) snow blower; it will require a mid-PTO.

LX4020 or Grand L 50/54/6060. The LX4020 to L6060 price spread is about 15K, with the others in between.

Thanks for the input.

blb078

Jun 19, 2016
Wentzville
For what it's worth I literally just pulled the trigger on a L4060 LE cab. I have 13 acres in MO, just over 1 acre of yard/grass, my driveway is all concrete. But I plan on doing some tree, brush removal, making a nice dirt trail for my sons mini side by side go cart thingy. It's more tractor than I need and some of the tree removal I could of done by renting but I can work at my own pace now. I also am looking at buying a little hunting property so I kind of future proofed myself for that but it could be a year or 3 years away depending when I find what I'm looking for. I went with the grand l over the LX mainly because the price wasn't a horrible amount more for a 40hp tractor.

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id
For what it's worth I literally just pulled the trigger on a L4060 LE cab. I have 13 acres in MO, just over 1 acre of yard/grass, my driveway is all concrete. But I plan on doing some tree, brush removal, making a nice dirt trail for my sons mini side by side go cart thingy. It's more tractor than I need and some of the tree removal I could of done by renting but I can work at my own pace now. I also am looking at buying a little hunting property so I kind of future proofed myself for that but it could be a year or 3 years away depending when I find what I'm looking for. I went with the grand l over the LX mainly because the price wasn't a horrible amount more for a 40hp tractor.
Thanks for the input. What FEL did you get with your L4060? The dealer I've been talking to has a L4060 with a FEL 805, would prefer a L1055.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For what it's worth I literally just pulled the trigger on a L4060 LE cab.

It's more tractor than I need
Out of interest, how do you know it's more tractor than you need? Have you used it yet? If so, how much have you used it in order to make that statement?

blb078

Jun 19, 2016
Wentzville
Out of interest, how do you know it's more tractor than you need? Have you used it yet? If so, how much have you used it in order to make that statement?
Because this won't be the first tractor of this size I've had on the property and I know what a 40hp tractor can do vs what I need done.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Because this won't be the first tractor of this size I've had on the property and I know what a 40hp tractor can do vs what I need done.
What did you have before and why did you replace it? It sounded like you were making that statement based on a new tractor you hadn't used yet, but thanks for the explanation. You obviously know what you need at the moment but things can change.

A friend who recently moved to Spain had an L4060 that he sold with his property and he often wished he'd bought a more powerful tractor. His property and driveway were hilly though so maybe you live somewhere flat. Once you put on wheel weights, have RimGuard in the tires, add a snow blower and some other implement, those 40 horses soon get tired.

I don't always know what the future holds. For example, I had no idea I'd be buying a 12ft folding cutter this year. It weighs 4,000lb and the MX would not be a happy camper pulling that around my hilly property on a hot day, but the M6060 couldn't care less. This particular cutter wouldn't have been an option if I didn't have the M6060.

Regardless, you certainly got some nice options and no doubt you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id

Well I’m glad I reread your reply, was serious about the l4760, but I just discovered that it has no turbo, I’d probably be fine in the winters @ 3900’ with temps in the 20s, but summer temps would reduce power by a bit, thinking now
of a l5060 or l5460. Do like the l6060 but with the other two leaves some more room for another implemt.
Hey all, I just purchased an 8 acre parcel in new meadows, Idaho. My excuse to buy a tractor. I have about 500 yards of road to keep snow off plus around the home, shop, barn and a few out builds. The road is dirt and gravel. I have approximately 1 acre of pasture. The rest of the property is forest. So I’m thinking about a Grand L6060 with these implements, L1055 loader with L2296 bucket and bolt on cutting edge tl1748. L4479 snowblower with these parts, L8387 mid pot, L4431 comp kit, L4455A frt quick hitch, L4483 driveline ( with 8 hrs install) LAN BB1272 boxblade. I’m I going way over kill on this tractor? Every out here say the more horses the better. Out the door 85.5K. Is it worth throwing the no sales tax in Or. at a dealer in Boise area? Also looking to add a pallet fork, I like the TITAN PRO DUTY forks. Planning on Kubota insurance and is an extended warranty.
. Been enjoying the forum and trying to get educated of all the stuff. In the past I’ve operated skid steers and some backhoe work.
thanks to all’ya

forgot to add comes with the R4 tires, and adding 200 per back tires for ballast, bio stuff.

Hi all, here an update to my progress, rethought the L6060 tractor and that it’s probably more than I need so looked at the L4760 but unfortunately no turbo which I think that is a concern at 4k elevation. I want to stay above 40 horse and the larger capacity FEL 1055. So I’m going to find a GL5460, and a couple more implements. Looking at a 3rd function for grapplers, hydraulic control for the back end for the box grader. Been teaching a ground school for the last 10 days so going the Idaho Tractor dealer on Wednesday to see what they can do.
Thanks for all the input, lots of Utube viewing
thanks to all’ya

Hi all, been looking at options, thought about the Gl4760 but no turbo, at 4K’ elevation, I think that’s a factor. So I’m looking for a GL5460, a little less than the GL6060, it’s got the turbo and the 1055 FEL. With the savings I think I’ll add the 3rd function for a grapple and hydraulic control for the rear end, making box grader work easier. Hopefully at the end of the week I’ll have found a 5460.

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id
Hi all, been looking at options, thought about the Gl4760 but no turbo, at 4K’ elevation, I think that’s a factor. So I’m looking for a GL5460, a little less than the GL6060, it’s got the turbo and the 1055 FEL. With the savings I think I’ll add the 3rd function for a grapple and hydraulic control for the rear end, making box grader work easier. Hopefully at the end of the week I’ll have found a 5460.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

there is no question a GL has more features than an MX…that’s a fact. I’d still like to have a GL in addition. Are the features the deciding factor? Any consideration for an MX? When I went shopping for GL6060, I was certain that is what I would get, however spousal unit preferred the visibility on the MX. since she need to drive it too, that’s we ended up with (that saved a little $$$ on the machine). I really didn’t care both are awesome. I did not like the forward reverse peddle on the GL…I preferred the Mx peddle as it was similar to my B. I would suggest set on both maybe even drive and feel the controls (foot controls, hand controls and reach to them). At the time (spring ‘21) we sat and drove both…but the Mx was cabbed, and it had tilt steering. We bought an open station and it did not have tilt. That is one feature I would like to have. Id sit on all and check reach to controls and the seat.

Good luck and happy shopping. 👍 🥃

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Good day.

there is no question a GL has more features than an MX…that’s a fact. I’d still like to have a GL in addition. Are the features the deciding factor? Any consideration for an MX? When I went shopping for GL6060, I was certain that is what I would get, however spousal unit preferred the visibility on the MX. since she need to drive it too, that’s we ended up with (that saved a little $$$ on the machine). I really didn’t care both are awesome. I did not like the forward reverse peddle on the GL…I preferred the Mx peddle as it was similar to my B. I would suggest set on both maybe even drive and feel the controls (foot controls, hand controls and reach to them). At the time (spring ‘21) we sat and drove both…but the Mx was cabbed, and it had tilt steering. We bought an open station and it did not have tilt. That is one feature I would like to have. Id sit on all and check reach to controls and the seat.

Good luck and happy shopping. 👍 🥃
OP wants a front mounted snow blower; the MX does not offer a Mid-PTO to run it. Otherwise, the MX would be a great option.

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id
Yea. I did look at the MX, but it doesn’t have the hydrostatic trans, I think it would be easier for my wife to operate when I’m not home.

busdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 30, 2024
New Meadows, Id
Didn’t know that, thx. I think from a you tube video I saw the cab is higher the the GL cab. getting around the forest with the MX might be a problem.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Well, guess I missed that. I just looked at the Mx5400. I see that it does.
Anyway no mid pto makes it a no go. Thx for keeping me straight.
Welcome to OTT. May I ask why a front mounted snowblower? If it is because you prefer not to twist and back up they have inverted blowers which mount on the rear and you drive forward. The added bonus with these is you keep the loader attached for any clean up and piling. This option may expand your search for the perfect tractor. Good luck.
snowblower.jpg