Valve stem disappeared

EdwardsKev

Equipment
Kubota B7610, Betstco Flail Mower, 5ft HOWSE bush hog
Mar 10, 2023
Spartanburg South Carolina
So today I had a bush hogging and at some point I noticed my front right tire was flat. So I thought, put some green slime in and keep on gettin it. Well upon further inspection I noticed the valve stem missing. I assume this is something that can be bought and replaced? Local tire shop or tractor place?

Also what is everyone doing to their tires? Foam filled front liquid in rear? Tubes vs tubeless? Spare ready to go on the trailer?

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
They make valve stems that can be inserted without breaking the bead, they are more for emergencies as they are pricey. Take wheel off and any local tire shop can fix you up for a few bucks. Or it can be done at home with some ingenuity.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Replacing stem might be the least of your problems,tire could be ruined from running flat. Take it to any tire shop for repair or call around for mobile tire service.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most likely the valve stem discentergrated from old age. You will also need to get a new tire to replace the old one because the side wall is damaged from running it flat. Might as well bite the bullet and buy to tires and put steel valve stems into the wheels. You can purchase steel valve stems on Amazon.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They make valve stems that can be inserted without breaking the bead, they are more for emergencies as they are pricey. Take wheel off and any local tire shop can fix you up for a few bucks. Or it can be done at home with some ingenuity.
Last time I had a tire patched. It was less than $20. Seems like it would be similar for a new valve stem installed.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Also what is everyone doing to their tires? Foam filled front liquid in rear? Tubes vs tubeless? Spare ready to go on the trailer?
Foam filled front and liquid filled back on my B2910. Never regretted it over the last 22 years. Did it in reaction to getting flats on the front tires.

Four foam filled tires on my BX, since they are smaller tires and not outrageously expensive to foam fill. Punctures were the motivation there too. Happy camper there too for the last 20 years on the front, and probably 18 years on the back.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The best tire protection device is your eye. Check tires and valves on a regular basis and you will have plenty advance notice when a valve stem needs replacement. Valve stems like any other rubber parts require regular checking and replacement.
Henro, your comments about foam filled tires is getting very old. You keep espousing foam filled tires every time anything concerning tires comes up. You have made your point of how much you love your foam filled tires, and the time has come to put those comments to bed, once and for all!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The best tire protection device is your eye. Check tires and valves on a regular basis and you will have plenty advance notice when a valve stem needs replacement. Valve stems like any other rubber parts require regular checking and replacement.
Henro, your comments about foam filled tires is getting very old. You keep espousing foam filled tires every time anything concerning tires comes up. You have made your point of how much you love your foam filled tires, and the time has come to put those comments to bed, once and for all!
Yup!
Foam filled tires are NOT for everyone.
They give a terrible ride!
There are no springs/shocks on tractors.
Kinda like riding on the steel wheels of long, long ago.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have the tool you have posted to, and it was used to repair a broken valve stem on a water tank where the valve is installed prior to the bladders placement and the steel shell welded together. It works well but I don't see it as having much use on a tractor except for an emergency replacement of the valve stem.
For what that tool costs, I would suggest purchasing the 25 pieces of metal valve stems on Amazon for $26.09 and install them in place of the rubber valve stems, and you will never need to deal with them again unless you damage the metal stem.
Don't need 25 valve stems, then check the other offerings on Amazon that start at $6.00 for 4 metal valve stems. Planning on adding fluid to your tires, they also have metal valve stems for that purpose.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Your negative comments are getting older! Rather than putting them to bed, I think you should put your negativity somewhere more permanent.

Go back and read the original post and note that the OP specifically asked about foam filled front tires.

Simple fact is that I’ve not got a flat on my front tires on either tractor since I foam filled them 20 or more years ago. Nor have I experienced any mechanical issues. This is an important data point for somebody who may not have much experience or knowledge of foam filled tires.

It’s common sense that I have no interest in whether a person has foam filled tires or not. But if they ask a question that is specific along those lines, I’m happy to offer my experience. And if they have not considered that option, I also have no problem, offering my experience for them to consider.

I would like to think that most people do not think of that as a negative.