Procedure to Fix Leaking Fuel Line - Special Tool or Wrench Needed?

halg

Equipment
Kubota B2910
Jul 13, 2024
MD
Hello. While flushing and changing radiator hoses, I saw this leak. From the accumulated dirt looks like its been going on a while. No issues from the tractor performance wise. It is not missing or anything.

I've never messed with diesel injector lines before. None of my wrenches fit even my flare wrench. The nuts holding the lines are super close together.

1. Can someone give advice on the procedure to fix a leak like this?
2. Is a special socket or wrench needed?

Thanks for any replies.

Hal

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Should be a 17mm. Remove the one beside it to tighten.

Zooming in, looks like the line may be cracked? Inspect it to be sure.

Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Should be a 17mm. Remove the one beside it to tighten.

Zooming in, looks like the line may be cracked? Inspect it to be sure.
The crack/hole in the line may be clear up by the clamp, since there's evidence of leakage up there.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In more detail on how to do this:
Find the open end wrench size required to fit the line nut.
Find the open end wrench size required to fit the large nut on the pump top.

You will need to remove the lines starting from the end. You will probably have to remove the complete line by taking it loose at the injector also. You may be able to loosen it at the injector and rotate it around out of the way.

If you can hold the larger nut below the line nut while you loo the line nut, that is better and insures that the larger nut doesn’t rotate. If you can’t hold it the draw a mark on the larger nut and the pump so that you can see if it moves.

Since you have the leak, you can just try to tighten that leaking nut. If you have a cracked line you will need to order a replacement line and then replace the one that is leaking. You may want to price out all new lines and just replace them all if not that costly, since you have to remove half of the lines anyway.

Good luck, please report back what you find out was causing the leak.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would spray it off with brake parts cleaner, and then look for a leak / wear spot, here:

1721505557381.png

Reactions: 1 users

halg

Equipment
Kubota B2910
Jul 13, 2024
MD
Great info thanks everyone. I'll have a closer look tomorrow and try to determine if there is a crack or not. I suspect there is one. It seems pretty unlikely to me that things got loose somehow and just tightening it will fix the problem.

I'll inspect closer tomorrow and call around Monday to see about the cost of new lines.

Depending on their cost, I think I agree with Russell that if I am going to take the lines off to inspect & tighten I probably might as well replace if they are suspect.

Thanks again.

-hal

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Do this, then sprinkle some baby powder in the area and watch for where the leak is. Don't do any wrenching until you are positive of the area it's coming from.
D2Cat, you are showing your age when you mention baby powder. See below:

Johnson & Johnson (J&J) announced in August 2022 that it would stop selling talc-based baby powder globally in 2023. The company had already stopped selling the product in the U.S. and Canada in 2020, and retailers continued to sell their remaining stock until it ran out. J&J plans to transition to a cornstarch-based formula for all customers by 2023.
The decision to discontinue talc-based baby powder came after J&J faced thousands of lawsuits from consumers and their survivors who claimed the product caused cancer due to contamination with asbestos. In 2019, J&J recalled 33,000 bottles of Johnson's Baby Powder after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found small amounts of asbestos in a tested sample. J&J has known since the late 1950s that the talc used in its baby powder was sometimes contaminated with asbestos, but kept this information secret from the public and regulators for decades. More than 40,000 lawsuits have accused J&J of selling talc baby powder while being aware of its links to health risks, including ovarian cancer and mesothelioma. J&J denies the allegations.
I used to use baby powder in the tubes on my cars wire wheels, but haven't been able to find any in quite a few years. Now I have to buy "Tire Talc" at an inflated price compared to what it cost to buy baby powder.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Baby powder is like a generic term similar to Xerox, Skill Saw, Crescent Wrench ...... ;) ;) ;)

Any white powder will do, even flower from the kitchen! Quit picking on me!:(