Ordering a new BX23s - What advice can you give me, please?

StarsAndBars

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 4, 2024
Dixie
Greetings All!

I have settled on a BX23s as my first tractor. I have a relatively small parcel and it's primary function in the immediate future is to mow down the weeds while we build a home on this property. I plan to use it for (rock) driveway maintenance, and the soil here in my part of KY is very rocky, so I am going to use it to clear some of the surface rock debris with a rock bucket from Redline.

I am going to finance it to take advantage of low/no interest. I also plan to buy the physical damage coverage and the 2 year warranty (I figure if it hasn't broken in 2 years, it probably won't).

So, with that... anyone have any advice for me? How much negotiation room is there with a dealer? I plan to drive a trailer to DE so I don't have to pay sales tax.

Any and all advice would be truly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
You may get lucky and get it down a little. Or they could give you a deal on an attachment. No wiggle room when I bought my 1880 with loader, bucket, mower and 3 point. Worth every penny. If they have attachments on hand, a set of forks comes in real handy. If not, the place I got mine in Minnesota are the perfect fit for the BX. I bought skid steer forks shortly after getting my 1880. To heavy. Took away from lifting. A ballist box helps allot to for lifting. Some of that stuff can be had cheaper on Craigslist. I picked up my 3 point rear blade for 200 bucks. Just shop around. Congrats on the new tractor. Just take your time to learn it. Don’t hesitate to come back here to ask questions. I’ve learned allot from folks on this forum. Great bunch of folks.

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just a couple of thoughts...
1). Go sit on one and drive around.
2). I used to have a B7510 (pretty much a B2301). And found that a) the MMM was a pain only used it once and bought a Zero turn to use instead. b) clearing fallen trees the loader did not have enough capacity.
Now these are things I ran into but before you part with the coin to get a BX23S you might want to consider what you will be using it for long term. For example the backhoe is nice but it only digs 6' Would you be better off hiring or renting something for any digging you will do. A BX is too small to foundation.
For the price of the MMM could you buy a decent used mower for example? Just trying to help with making sure you don't in a year or 2 want to upgrade to a bigger machine. FYI at least here in Michigan you rent from Sunbelt rentals a BX23S for 220 a day or $540 a week. Perhaps rent one for a day to try it to see if it does what you expect it to?

Reactions: 2 users

StarsAndBars

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 4, 2024
Dixie
Just a couple of thoughts...
1). Go sit on one and drive around.
2). I used to have a B7510 (pretty much a B2301). And found that a) the MMM was a pain only used it once and bought a Zero turn to use instead. b) clearing fallen trees the loader did not have enough capacity.
Now these are things I ran into but before you part with the coin to get a BX23S you might want to consider what you will be using it for long term. For example the backhoe is nice but it only digs 6' Would you be better off hiring or renting something for any digging you will do. A BX is too small to foundation.
For the price of the MMM could you buy a decent used mower for example? Just trying to help with making sure you don't in a year or 2 want to upgrade to a bigger machine. FYI at least here in Michigan you rent from Sunbelt rentals a BX23S for 220 a day or $540 a week. Perhaps rent one for a day to try it to see if it does what you expect it to?
Thanks, this is great advice and I appreciate it. I see a zero turn in my future, but that is at least a couple of years away. I won't have a finish quality lawn for several years to come. I am not super concerned about the on & off of the MMM, as I doubt I will remove it very often unless there is something I don't know about. We haven't built the house yet and I am tired of paying someone to knock down the tall stuff. I can almost cover the loan payment on the 23 in just what I pay in brush hogging alone. I don't ever see myself doing serious excavation, but having it on hand when the mood strikes is too convenient to ignore. I had an irrigation system in our previous home and I really liked it. I think I might be able to put one in myself and I think even the small bucket on the 23 would get that job done, as an example. There is a wooded area on the property I would like to do some grooming of, but nothing substantial. If I need the "big guns" I will bring them in. There is a lot of rock on the property and I want to clear everything the 23 can first, before I pay someone for the bigger stuff. I know the next step up is appealing in many ways, but I just don't want to spend that much right now. I figure if I ever do get in over my head I can just trade it in or sell it. Truth be told, I am not a farmer or a rancher, and this thing is as much a toy to me as it is a workhorse. I seriously doubt I would find myself in a situation where I needed a bigger unit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've had my BX23s now for 6 years/1250hrs+- ) and did NOT buy the MMM. Heck loader's only been off once ,to fix a factory defect and the BH has never been off. The cost for the MMM was around $2600+13% taxes an back then, those coins would have bought a good, brand name riding mower.You'll need to remove the MMM whenever you do any serious TLB work, especially when 'rocks' are involved.
I don't need 'putting green' quality lawns so my 20+ year old Cub Cadet works just fine.
While you say MMM is easy to get on and off... none of us are getting any younger ,the older we get !

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
How much land do you have? That will play a part in advice.

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I have settled on a BX23s as my first tractor. I have a relatively small parcel and it's primary function in the immediate future is to mow down the weeds while we build a home on this property. I plan to use it for (rock) driveway maintenance, and the soil here in my part of KY is very rocky, so I am going to use it to clear some of the surface rock debris with a rock bucket from Redline.

I am going to finance it to take advantage of low/no interest. I also plan to buy the physical damage coverage and the 2 year warranty (I figure if it hasn't broken in 2 years, it probably won't).

So, with that... anyone have any advice for me? How much negotiation room is there with a dealer? I plan to drive a trailer to DE so I don't have to pay sales tax.

Any and all advice would be truly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I don't really have any advice, but I just want to say I love my BX23S. I bought it on auction with 17 hours on the clock so there aren't any negotiation details to share. I very quickly bought the BXpanded belly plate, and their backhoe items: mechanical thumb, ripper blade, and quick change. I hardly ever switch the bucket for the ripper blade but when I do I'm so glad I got the quick change. That being said, I haven't found the ripper to be as useful as I thought it would be. I hardly ever extend the mechanical thumb, but it's nice having it there in the stowed position because I can still use it to pick up rocks. When using the backhoe I never turn the seat around, I just kneel on it and reach over the back to operate the controls. Both the FEL and the backhoe have their limitations but I get done what I need to get done. I'd say the biggest thing I haven't been able to do is move some of the larger boulders on my property either with the FEL or the backhoe. I wish the FEL bucket was a bit larger when I'm moving firewood but whatever. I bought a 4' box blade and a 5' landscape rake and am happy with the sizing on both of them. I think anything bigger would be too big for a BX. The backhoe gives you all the weight you need on the back end, so no need to buy weights. Biggest thing missing on the BX23S is you can't use Kubota's inexpensive rear remote kit. If you go 3PH, get Messick's telescopic stabilizer kit immediately https://www.messicks.com/parts/k2561-38300fr ... I don't think the BX23S comes with a 3PH kit, so maybe you can get the dealer to throw that in ... they aren't too expensive ... https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/details/KubotaParts/3-Point-Hitch-Kit-for-Kubota-BX-TLB-s/BX2506/ I'm about to get a Pat's quick hitch because I'm tired of screwing around trying to hook up implements. Finally, I think I've noticed some play developing in the way the back hoe connects to the tractor. Not surprising given it's a tooless "quick change" with jaws that open up, but I'd prefer if it were a rock solid connection.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I suggest you consider a brush cutter instead of the MMM. With sharp blades, you can keep a pretty good quality 'yard'. I think it'll meet your long term needs better, and when you're ready for a real yard, you can get a ZT or whatever.

Check the ground clearance on the BX and make sure it meets your needs. As someone else pointed out, I think you'll be taking that MMM off pretty often.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks, this is great advice and I appreciate it. I see a zero turn in my future, but that is at least a couple of years away. I won't have a finish quality lawn for several years to come. I am not super concerned about the on & off of the MMM, as I doubt I will remove it very often unless there is something I don't know about. We haven't built the house yet and I am tired of paying someone to knock down the tall stuff. I can almost cover the loan payment on the 23 in just what I pay in brush hogging alone. I don't ever see myself doing serious excavation, but having it on hand when the mood strikes is too convenient to ignore. I had an irrigation system in our previous home and I really liked it. I think I might be able to put one in myself and I think even the small bucket on the 23 would get that job done, as an example. There is a wooded area on the property I would like to do some grooming of, but nothing substantial. If I need the "big guns" I will bring them in. There is a lot of rock on the property and I want to clear everything the 23 can first, before I pay someone for the bigger stuff. I know the next step up is appealing in many ways, but I just don't want to spend that much right now. I figure if I ever do get in over my head I can just trade it in or sell it. Truth be told, I am not a farmer or a rancher, and this thing is as much a toy to me as it is a workhorse. I seriously doubt I would find myself in a situation where I needed a bigger unit.
"I seriously doubt I would ever find myself in a situation where I needed a bigger unit".
Thousands of folks have eaten those very words!

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, SSQA was an option in 2018, may still be. For sure get SSQA !

Also consider the B2601 loader + backhoe, NO MMM. Check the price difference. There are several advantages to going to a 2601.

Size matters. Can you mow using ANY rider ? An acre isn't that bad to mow with a rider. I can't see cutting grass with a BX23S isn't a fast operation, though others will know. You'll have to remover BH and LDR to properly cut the grass.

Also price in a large concrete pad to do the implement changes ! When designing house garage,insist on an 8' high door (10 is better). If you get a 7' door, you'll HAVE to lower the ROPS to get in, EVERY time. It just squeaks under an 8' door.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes, SSQA was an option in 2018, may still be. For sure get SSQA !

Also consider the B2601 loader + backhoe, NO MMM. Check the price difference. There are several advantages to going to a 2601.

Size matters. Can you mow using ANY rider ? An acre isn't that bad to mow with a rider. I can't see cutting grass with a BX23S isn't a fast operation, though others will know. You'll have to remover BH and LDR to properly cut the grass.

Also price in a large concrete pad to do the implement changes ! When designing house garage,insist on an 8' high door (10 is better). If you get a 7' door, you'll HAVE to lower the ROPS to get in, EVERY time. It just squeaks under an 8' door.
+1 on B2601 TLB

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I suggest you consider a brush cutter instead of the MMM. With sharp blades, you can keep a pretty good quality 'yard'. I think it'll meet your long term needs better, and when you're ready for a real yard, you can get a ZT or whatever.

Check the ground clearance on the BX and make sure it meets your needs. As someone else pointed out, I think you'll be taking that MMM off pretty often.
I have to agree with buying a brush hog/cutter instead of the underbelly mower deck. They cost less and will do a better job. I had the underbelly mower deck on my old BX22, and it was a real pain to get it on and off. I now have a rear finish mower for grass cutting with my BX23S and I love it. I bought it used for and saved a lot of money even buying a used underbelly mower deck.

StarsAndBars

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 4, 2024
Dixie
I don't really have any advice, but I just want to say I love my BX23S. I bought it on auction with 17 hours on the clock so there aren't any negotiation details to share. I very quickly bought the BXpanded belly plate, and their backhoe items: mechanical thumb, ripper blade, and quick change. I hardly ever switch the bucket for the ripper blade but when I do I'm so glad I got the quick change. That being said, I haven't found the ripper to be as useful as I thought it would be. I hardly ever extend the mechanical thumb, but it's nice having it there in the stowed position because I can still use it to pick up rocks. When using the backhoe I never turn the seat around, I just kneel on it and reach over the back to operate the controls. Both the FEL and the backhoe have their limitations but I get done what I need to get done. I'd say the biggest thing I haven't been able to do is move some of the larger boulders on my property either with the FEL or the backhoe. I wish the FEL bucket was a bit larger when I'm moving firewood but whatever. I bought a 4' box blade and a 5' landscape rake and am happy with the sizing on both of them. I think anything bigger would be too big for a BX. The backhoe gives you all the weight you need on the back end, so no need to buy weights. Biggest thing missing on the BX23S is you can't use Kubota's inexpensive rear remote kit. If you go 3PH, get Messick's telescopic stabilizer kit immediately https://www.messicks.com/parts/k2561-38300fr ... I don't think the BX23S comes with a 3PH kit, so maybe you can get the dealer to throw that in ... they aren't too expensive ... https://www.colemanequip.com/parts/details/KubotaParts/3-Point-Hitch-Kit-for-Kubota-BX-TLB-s/BX2506/ I'm about to get a Pat's quick hitch because I'm tired of screwing around trying to hook up implements. Finally, I think I've noticed some play developing in the way the back hoe connects to the tractor. Not surprising given it's a tooless "quick change" with jaws that open up, but I'd prefer if it were a rock solid connection.
Thank you, Good Sir! I just ordered a Pat's hitch myself. I appreciate you mentioning it as I wouldn't have known otherwise. I also got the telescoping stabilizers

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Congratulations.

Personally I’d recommend go buy you favorite beverage for delivery day, and when the machine comes…(I’d go top shelf from Buffalo Trace distillery Kentucky bourbon, but there are some other types that would do in a pinch😉)you are going to be tempted to use it/drive. I’d recommend you take the manual and your beverage, try the new cup holder and make sure that works and then read the manual and make sure to learn and understand and identify all the controls / features and make sure all works…check tire pressure and lug nut torque. Hydrate with your beverage as necessary. Read the manual and understand it and if any questions bring the questions back to the forum and someone should be able to help.

then take some pics and post on the forum. Have a great take delivery day. Congrats! 🥃

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Congratulations.

Personally I’d recommend go buy you favorite beverage for delivery day, and when the machine comes…(I’d go top shelf from Buffalo Trace distillery Kentucky bourbon, but there are some other types that would do in a pinch😉)you are going to be tempted to use it/drive. I’d recommend you take the manual and your beverage, try the new cup holder and make sure that works and then read the manual and make sure to learn and understand and identify all the controls / features and make sure all works…check tire pressure and lug nut torque. Hydrate with your beverage as necessary. Read the manual and understand it and if any questions bring the questions back to the forum and someone should be able to help.

then take some pics and post on the forum. Have a great take delivery day. Congrats! 🥃
These are good recommendations for reading the manual, checking tire pressure, lug nuts. I would add check all the fluid levels (engine oil, coolant and hydraulic fluid) and probably wouldn't hurt to grease all the zircs.

Short story ... as I mentioned before, I bought mine at auction. I was able to borrow a tilt trailer and my son, who had diesel RAM 3500 and experience doing boat transport, drove us over the mountain pass in the winter to go get it at the dealer who had repossessed it. Fortunately the roads were dry and bare ... that day. We got the thing loaded up ... I had the dealer guy put it on the trailer ... drove back over the pass and to my cabin. By that time is was nighttime and dark, and it was up to me to unload it. I had never driven a tractor before in my life, so there I am, backing it down off the tilt trailer in the dark. We were watching the bottom of the backhoe like hawks, and if I recall we had to adjust the tilt of the trailer a little during the process so the backhoe wouldn't drag. But I got it off without any problems and drove it down the road in the dark and parked it. Mission accomplished!

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Thank you, Good Sir! I just ordered a Pat's hitch myself. I appreciate you mentioning it as I wouldn't have known otherwise. I also got the telescoping stabilizers
My Pat's QH has been the best thing I have added to my tractor.

StarsAndBars

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 4, 2024
Dixie
Congratulations.

Thank you, very helpful info and I appreciate it very much.

As luck would have it, I am smack-dab in the middle of Burboun country and my favorite (reasonably priced) is Woodford Reserve. As far as delivery, I am driving to DE to pick it up (no sales tax).

StarsAndBars

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 4, 2024
Dixie
These are good recommendations for reading the manual, checking tire pressure, lug nuts. I would add check all the fluid levels (engine oil, coolant and hydraulic fluid) and probably wouldn't hurt to grease all the zircs.

Short story ... as I mentioned before, I bought mine at auction. I was able to borrow a tilt trailer and my son, who had diesel RAM 3500 and experience doing boat transport, drove us over the mountain pass in the winter to go get it at the dealer who had repossessed it. Fortunately the roads were dry and bare ... that day. We got the thing loaded up ... I had the dealer guy put it on the trailer ... drove back over the pass and to my cabin. By that time is was nighttime and dark, and it was up to me to unload it. I had never driven a tractor before in my life, so there I am, backing it down off the tilt trailer in the dark. We were watching the bottom of the backhoe like hawks, and if I recall we had to adjust the tilt of the trailer a little during the process so the backhoe wouldn't drag. But I got it off without any problems and drove it down the road in the dark and parked it. Mission accomplished!
I am using my RAM 3500 (Cummins - the best there is) and a friend's trailer to go pick mine up in Delaware. It's worth the drive to avoid the sales tax!