BX25 Fuel Issues

PatHud

Equipment
2012 BX25DLB
Jul 13, 2024
Canada
2012 BX25DLB 320 hours.
Scratching my head with a fuel problem. Tractor has started losing RPM while under heavy load, namely mowing uphill with the 60" deck. Drops RPM, spits and sputters and sometimes stalls out.
I've changed both fuel filters, lift pump and some questionable lines, no difference.
With the engine not running, I noticed the filter bowl wasn't filling up completely (not sure if it should) and the lift pump was constantly running. No external leaks, so I wondered if it was pushing it through the return. Sure enough, whatever the lift pump was pushing was going right back to tank through the return. Should that be, or should the lift pump prime everything before the injection pump/injectors then stop pumping until engine is started?
If that is normal operation, or do i have an injector leaking by or something? Any other thoughts? Just replaced a couple other lines and fittings and going to try it again to see if the problem persists.
Any recommendations would be more than appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
uphill ? how steep a hill ?
what gear are you in, ?
what RPM ?
If whatever you're doing, you've done 100 times before...then...
my crystal ball says 'something' is in the tank ,partially blocking the 'spigot' where the fuel comes out.
If it's a semi-floater it'll be a random problem, if it's a sickle slice of black plastic vertically blocking 1/3rd of the 'spigot', it'll cause 'loss of power'...like me trying to get HOME before totally dying.

I had the latter problem, which required me to remove the tank, as you cannot properly clean it in the tractor(BX23S). This was at about 230 hrs. 'Turned the wrenched' and 1000 hrs later ZERO problems.

Suggest you install a 'Mason jay cold filter' int he fuel inlet of the tank. That WILL prevent any 'foreign material' from getting into the tank.

Reactions: 1 users

PatHud

Equipment
2012 BX25DLB
Jul 13, 2024
Canada
uphill ? how steep a hill ?
what gear are you in, ?
what RPM ?
If whatever you're doing, you've done 100 times before...then...
my crystal ball says 'something' is in the tank ,partially blocking the 'spigot' where the fuel comes out.
If it's a semi-floater it'll be a random problem, if it's a sickle slice of black plastic vertically blocking 1/3rd of the 'spigot', it'll cause 'loss of power'...like me trying to get HOME before totally dying.

I had the latter problem, which required me to remove the tank, as you cannot properly clean it in the tractor(BX23S). This was at about 230 hrs. 'Turned the wrenched' and 1000 hrs later ZERO problems.

Suggest you install a 'Mason jay cold filter' int he fuel inlet of the tank. That WILL prevent any 'foreign material' from getting into the tank.

Thank you for the input.
I'd say the hill is 25° or so.
Usually mow around 2800RPM
Low gear.
I'm inclined to think along those lines as well. Something with a variable where nothing has really changed in the system.
It pulled well all last winter pushing show, and so far this summer mowing grass.
I'm going to throw it back together and see how life goes tomorrow.
If the issue persists, I'll dig I to the tank.
Is there a pick up tube in the tank, or does it gravity feed out of the bottom?

Thanks again!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A10100.png

this should be your tank,might even be same part.If you look up and right of the #030,you'll see the exit spigot,or whatever it's called where fuel leaves the tank. In my case a sickle shaped sliver of black plastic lodged itself into that spigot. There is NO way you could see it until tank was out and off of the tractor. I literally idled home(40 minutes ) as ANY increase in RPM, engine ran ROUGH, Turtle slow got me home fine. Removing the tank isn't that hard, though 2 guys to lift the seat would be real nice ! And the 'fender' is tricky to reinstall and get all the levers back in,more hands makes it a lot better ! I used compressed air to blow the plastic back into the tank, then several flushings with water to get it out,checking the new white bucket to CONFIRM it was OUT. Didn't want it to 'float' into another chamber( it's gone) and then magically reappear in the future !!

Reactions: 1 user