04 B2910 Fuel Sender Bolt Heads Captive in Plastic Tank?

halg

Equipment
Kubota B2910
Jul 13, 2024
MD
Hello. Fuel gauge stopped working on my tractor a year or so ago and finally decided to replace the sender since it probably rusted off.

Got the dash open enough to see it and started loosening the nuts but the whole bolt is turning. I really did not apply much torque. I was using a quarter inch drive by hand. There was a mouse house on top of it which added some corrosion to the nuts and stuck them on.

Regardless, every single nut was that way. Which seems a little strange.

So, are the heads on the end of the bolts that stick out of the fuel tank captive in plastic in the tank? That is what I am assuming is the case and they are stripped. Does not seem like a great design.

If that is the case, does anyone have any ideas on a path forward outside of a whole new tank? If a whole new tank is the only route I think I'll just attach an old school fuel dipstick somewhere and call it a day.

Shame to waste a purchase of a new fuel sender but I imagine replacing the tank is expensive and a bit of trouble.

Thanks for any replies!

Hal

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd try something like a dremel wheel to split the nut, the spread them with a flat screwdriver. When all four are out clean the area around the bolt that is sticking up. Then use some Gorilla glue around the base where the bolts protrude. Let cure for at least 24 hours. Install new gauge. Put some anti-seize on the threads of the bolts and tighten gently. It would be nice if they were long enough for a small lock washer, but probably not. You could use a drop of your wife's least favorite nail polish to lock the nuts in place!

Reactions: 1 user

halg

Equipment
Kubota B2910
Jul 13, 2024
MD
I'd try something like a dremel wheel to split the nut, the spread them with a flat screwdriver. When all four are out clean the area around the bolt that is sticking up. Then use some Gorilla glue around the base where the bolts protrude. Let cure for at least 24 hours. Install new gauge. Put some anti-seize on the threads of the bolts and tighten gently. It would be nice if they were long enough for a small lock washer, but probably not. You could use a drop of your wife's least favorite nail polish to lock the nuts in place!
Thanks for the reply!

I might try that. Looks like a tank is over $500 so I'd rather not have to go that route.

Another thought I had was to cut the bolts off flush with the tank and then use screws in new holes.

There is only about an eighth of an inch of bolt above the nut. If there was more I'd try thin double nuts locked together to hold the bolt in place while I broke it loose but there is just not enough clearance.

halg

Equipment
Kubota B2910
Jul 13, 2024
MD
I am pretty sure thats why they invented abrasive cutoff wheels.

Dan
Unfortunately a cutoff wheel wouldn't fit. I used the extension on my dremel to cut off the nuts & bolts. Added some permatex, rotated the new sender a bit to clear the old bolts, drilled pilot holes and put in new screws. I think it will do the job. I added some pics in case it ever helps someone else.

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments