Extending a 22ft deck over trailer by 3-1/2 ft.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The question of trailer size comes up repeatedly on this forum, and one of the advantages of having more trailer than you need is that you have a better chance of positioning the load optimally. I towed the MX6000 and Schafer disc harrow to a job recently and it barely fit on the trailer. I had to remove the bucket, and even then the loader arms were extended over the front of the deck, which I wasn't thrilled about.

When I bought the 22ft trailer shown below, I had no idea that I'd have a 12ft folding cutter that I'd want/need to move between locations. The reality I now face is that the trailer is too short for the M6060 and Land Pride RC3712. My solution is to extend it rather than sell it and buy a new trailer which would cost thousands when taking into account loss on the current trailer and the cost of a 25ft or bigger deck over.

pipe.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a 4ft x 10ft sheet of 1/8" diamond plate and a 24ft long stick of 3"x1-1/2"x3/16" rectangular tubing for the princely sum of $640! That did include two large D-rings to provide a place on the extension to attach a binder and chain. Other than welding/grinding/paint incidentals that's the major cost which is still a lot cheaper than selling the trailer and buying a longer one. 24ft really isn't enough for my needs, so extending the length by 3-1/2ft seems to be the best way forward. The length of the extension is being driven by the brush cutter display stand that I have. I don't want to change the footprint of that thing so I'll live with the extra 6" over what I was initially thinking of.

I've started cutting the steel tubing but had the steel supply store cut a piece of diamond plate 42" x 100". Here's my concept for the side supports that will use the rear two stake pockets on both sides to provide a removable solution. The "dog leg" is to drop the supports down to the same level as the current deck. This extension will sit on the ground when loading/unloading and will actually reduce the deck angle when fully tilted up which is fine by me.

It will see the most load when the front and rear wheels of the tractor are in the center of the deck extension so I might add some plate to the outside of the side supports to increase strength. I'll be using part of the brush cutter display stand that I got for free from the local Kubota dealer to support the diamond plate. I'll post more photos as the project progresses.

model_sides.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The pieces for the side rails are cut and will be welded together after some prep in the form of beveling a few edges to ensure full weld penetration.

side_rails.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Are your axle locations going to be OK?
Thanks for that excellent question. I think so but I guess I'll find out soon enough. The tractor up front will always be much heavier than the implement behind it so if you're concerned about weight distribution it won't change a whole lot. The trailer tows well when loaded, and I don't expect that to change with the extension.

I'm hoping to get it mostly finished this weekend but I'll be out on the lake either tomorrow or Sunday so might not see the finish line. It's very hot here at the moment and I don't like working in the heat so tend to get things done early in the morning. I'll get back on it tomorrow morning and then again Sunday morning.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for that excellent question. I think so but I guess I'll find out soon enough. The tractor up front will always be much heavier than the implement behind it so if you're concerned about weight distribution it won't change a whole lot. The trailer tows well when loaded, and I don't expect that to change with the extension.

I'm hoping to get it mostly finished this weekend but I'll be out on the lake either tomorrow or Sunday so might not see the finish line. It's very hot here at the moment and I don't like working in the heat so tend to get things done early in the morning. I'll get back on it tomorrow morning and then again Sunday morning.
I am not really sure myself, but related to axle location (fulcrum) I was curious about your ramp and loading setup. But I think you sort explained that plan to put some drop jacks on the back end (so I assume you are using stand alone / removeable ramps? Vs slide out ramps or turn down knee kickers) using ramps …good plan there to add the drop jacks with the extension IMO. To me the loading unloading, with not moving the axles (fulcrum) and extended the deck(lever)…I think the jacks are going to be helpful. To me I think the key is being mindful of the modification and how loading items onto the deck to get the proper load balance…but that is always the case.

Unless you have some odd valleys / RR crossing or aprons to the main road in a driveway or something I would not think the change in departure angle would impact you much unless you are really close to dragging before modification. That might be an issue if it was a dove tail deck, but it doesn’t look/seem like that is the case (I could not tell from the pic) I think you are going to end up with a very functional and customized for your use deck. You’ll know soon enough if it’s ok I suspect. Looking forward to seeing the result. 👍

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am not really sure myself, but related to axle location (fulcrum) I was curious about your ramp and loading setup. But I think you sort explained that plan to put some drop jacks on the back end (so I assume you are using stand alone / removeable ramps? Vs slide out ramps or turn down knee kickers) using ramps …good plan there to add the drop jacks with the extension IMO. To me the loading unloading, with not moving the axles (fulcrum) and extended the deck(lever)…I think the jacks are going to be helpful. To me I think the key is being mindful of the modification and how loading items onto the deck to get the proper load balance…but that is always the case.

Unless you have some odd valleys / RR crossing or aprons to the main road in a driveway or something I would not think the change in departure angle would impact you much unless you are really close to dragging before modification. That might be an issue if it was a dove tail deck, but it doesn’t look/seem like that is the case (I could not tell from the pic) I think you are going to end up with a very functional and customized for your use deck. You’ll know soon enough if it’s ok I suspect. Looking forward to seeing the result. 👍
It's an hydraulic tilt trailer where the end of the deck contacts the ground for loading/unloading. With the deck extension, the deck won't need to reach the same angle in order for the rear to sit on the ground. I hope that makes sense.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Being hyd. tilt, when the deck is empty will it still go down with the added weight to the rear...evem woth you standing on the front of the deck?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Being hyd. tilt, when the deck is empty will it still go down with the added weight to the rear...evem woth you standing on the front of the deck?
The tilt down feature is not controlled by gravity. The deck cylinders are double acting so it'll go back down when I push the down button on the controller. Another good question though.

Welding is going well. I spent about an hour this morning moving trailers and material around to help with the build. I should have most of the work done today.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You'd think I'd learn and not assume anything, but once again I got burned by not checking both sides of the trailer to measure stake pocket spacing. I finished welding up one of the rails with 7018 rod and figured I'd place it on the trailer to see how it looked. I had measured the right side stake pocket spacing but went to place the rail on the left side and it wouldn't fit! Turns out that PJ welded on the stake pockets with a 9/16" difference in spacing. What a shock that their welders couldn't give a toss about QC.

Luckily I'd only tacked on the stake pocket locators on the second rail so not a hard fix. Here are some photos showing the direction in which this is going. It's way too hot for my liking and the heat is taking a toll on me for sure, but I'm going to press on. No doubt I'll encounter more issues with this modification. I will say that 42" or 3-1/2ft sounds like a lot, but it sure doesn't look like much in the real world.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
looks real good so far......

1) you'll bolt the unit though the stake pockets ??

2) need to add horizontals to help support weight of the decking steel( 3 or 4 ?)

3) WHO is going to install/remove it ? Maybe add eyebolts for straps/slings to use loader ??

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
looks real good so far......

1) you'll bolt the unit though the stake pockets ??

2) need to add horizontals to help support weight of the decking steel( 3 or 4 ?)

3) WHO is going to install/remove it ? Maybe add eyebolts for straps/slings to use loader ??
1. Yes, but maybe pins rather than bolts. There's a 1/4" thick flat bar rub rail around the outside of the deck so there's a lot of support for a pin or bolt through the center of all four stake pockets.

2. I'm going to use the base from the rotary cutter display stand that I was given.

3. The base already has a provision for pallet forks so I'm going to invert it so that I can install/remove the extension somewhat "easily".

06.jpg

07.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I managed to get the base of the display stand separated from the rest of the stand and flipped it over for the photo, but still need to clean it up. I bought some 4-1/2" grinding discs but can't find them! The base below is 75-1/2" wide and 42" deep, and the span between the side rails is 97-1/2" so I need to add 11" of tubing to either side of the base to tie it into the side rails. I'm done for the day.

You can see the rectangular tubing on the underside for pallet forks.

08.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice, love the fork pockets, as you'll NEED some 'help' getting it on and off. probably weighs 200+ ?

consider adding some tubing onto of the fork pocket tubes to prevent the decking from bending down ?
maybe 2 horizontals between left and right sides, also tacked to the pocket tubes ??

sure is nice to see progress !!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice, well thought out work. I knew a welder who declared he could fix anything but a broken heart. Are you related? ;)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This weather makes it much harder. I'm hot and tired and calling it quits. I'm going to take the boat out on the lake and go for a swim.

This is where I got to by 12.30pm this afternoon. I wish I could say that grinding, cutting and welding is fun, but sometimes it's just hard work. Repurposing material can save money but add a lot of time and additional hard work.

I got the underside cleaned up, managed to get it into position with the help of the MX, and tie it into the side rails with four 11-1/16" pieces of rectangular tubing. I need to add some more stringers to support the deck, do a bunch of welding, drill some holes and then weld the deck plate on. I'll be doing a couple of hours work each morning over the coming week when it's cooler. Hopefully I can get it finished in a few days.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
NICE JOB!!!!!

I like it a lot, but my only "critique" is the fork pockets.

I like them, and they look like mine a little, but if I had to do mine over again (and I might just do that), I would make them much wider.

I would say something like ~12" wide each

I say this just because I constantly have to get off and "readjust" the fork width due to the "narrowness" of my pockets.

not a deal breaker, even skinny ones are worth it, just an observation of what happened to me.

Carry on sir!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
NICE JOB!!!!!

I like it a lot, but my only "critique" is the fork pockets.

I like them, and they look like mine a little, but if I had to do mine over again (and I might just do that), I would make them much wider.

I would say something like ~12" wide each

I say this just because I constantly have to get off and "readjust" the fork width due to the "narrowness" of my pockets.

not a deal breaker, even skinny ones are worth it, just an observation of what happened to me.

Carry on sir!
Thanks! I had a brain fart when I thought that the pallet fork pockets could have a double use. They are only there to enable me to take the extension on and off, but I'm thinking that I'll leave the extension on for the most part. I didn't want to cut them off and weld them back on so they're staying where they are. Of course, I couldn't store a set of pallet forks in that location other than when the trailer isn't in use, and there's no point in that.

So I managed to get three pieces of rectangular tubing cut and fit for deck support. They're 18-1/2" on center since that's how it worked out. I had to make up two of them by welding new and old material together so once again repurposing adds to the work.

The other thing I've decided to do is to use some 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" tubing to strengthen the side rails where they need it. The deck extension is cantilevered via the side rails. This tubing was welded to the rotary cutter display stand so cost me nothing. It's heavy wall and it will sit on top of the side rails, and will run from the start of the rails and onto some of the section that supports the deck. It'll add a significant amount of strength to the side rails, particularly when a load is on the deck, and the trailer is bouncing down the road.

I'm feeling a lot better about this build now. I need to buy four 6"x1/2" grade 8 bolts and lock nuts tomorrow to secure the extension to the trailer.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought four 6"x5/8"-11 Grade 8 bolts, four lock nuts and eight washers today from ACE Hardware. The cost was close to $60! Buy once, cry once I guess. 😩