Dodge Fans....No V8s

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I recently saw that dodge is no longer offering a V8 in the 1500 models in 2025.
I've never owned a dodge and have even less interest now...
But who doesn't love thoses long horn mirrors Lol

Attachments

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I recently saw that dodge is no longer offering a V8 in the 1500 models in 2025.
I've never owned a dodge and have even less interest now...
But who doesn't love thoses long horn mirrors Lol
If you need hauling or towing power, you buy a Dodge with a Cummins diesel, otherwise the V6 option is pretty darn good.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Know a lot of people that went to RAM for the Cummins.

I’m a GM V-8 fan, and those are getting more scarce in the 1/2 ton trucks.

Sometimes I think of going to a 3/4 ton truck just to keep the 6.6l V-8.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not a Ram fan, so it doesnt matter to me. TFL channels on YouTube had this out a long time ago.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Playing catchup to Ford. Ford went to a twin-turbo V6 I believe in 2011. The Ram is a twin-turbo straight 6, but the horsepower and torque, especially the torque curve, beat the 5.7 V8's 395 HP and 410 lb-ft of torque.

Hurricane engine specs.jpg

If they build it right and it is reliable it will be a good thing. I've owned a Ford F150 twin-turbo 3.5 Ecoboost for 8+ trouble-free years now. Love that truck...with the flat torque curve it is just like driving a diesel.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The 3.5 ecoboost is a towing beast I'm told.
Someone local here that has the Ram TRX I believe it's 700 hp and $100.k. The odd thing is the guy lives in a tiny mobile home...priority's I guess is a nice ride.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It's been on the horizon for a long time. They probably have to meet some silly EPA rules. The Ford TTs are pretty peppy but guzzle the juice when towing. It costs me less in diesel to tow 13000 that it does for my friend to tow 8000 in his ecoTT.
Hopefully Stellantis builds them well. I have another friend with a Cummins that often has it in for warranty work. I mean OFTEN.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
ok I am going to rant a litle

the TT engines have one purpose. Marketing. Yes they can tow a trailer. Yes they will DRINK fuel while doing so. And if you drive like a maniac like most people do nowadays, they're gonna drink fuel like that too.

The EPA among others, wants to know all about new vehicles. Basically if it meets certain criteria, the manufacturer can get in on incentives, breaks, etc.

So for example, if a vehicle has a 'mandated' 20 mpg, and the v8's EPA estimated MPG is 19, they are missing out. Getting a 5.0 to achieve the estimated mpg or emissions for that threshold, using the testing methods set forth by government, can't happen (whatever the threshold is), thus the EU pays more because Ford (and all other manufacturers who do business here in the usa) can't enjoy the incentives and such.

So way back when, they found out that if they can work on the aero improvements, drag improvements, and go to a V6 from a V8, but add a pair of hair dryers, and then test the exact same way that they've had to test for years prior, the V6 can get those incentives-lower emissions, better mpg, etc.

But remember these testing methods don't necessarily duplicate real-world driving. From what I know of (which isn't all that much), they test by going to x rpm and maintaining that rpm and measuring fuel flow and exhaust emissions among other things. That means on the 55mph highway they can get decent mpg, as advertised. But most freeways are 75mph, which increases the load on the truck via aerodynamic and mechanical drag, so generally speaking you're going to use more fuel at 75mph than at 55--which is one reason states have passed laws to allow an increased speed limit (more fuel sold=more tax income....)

these incentives and breaks are significant, and the markets are significantly more competitive than they were not 5 years ago. Competition means pricing needs to stay as low as possible to entice buyers to buy their product. Ain't that many people running out to by ram trx, at over 100 grand. But you see new standard rams all over the place ($50k?).

back in the day if you had a turbocharged car/truck they were known as unreliable. The main deal breaker with anything forced induction (gas burning) is control over the fuel and ignition mapping. If the fuel mixture goes a little lean and for a short time, the engine will fail. So way back then, EFI systems were crude by comparison, relying on mass air sensors that didn't necessarily accurately measure the correct air mass (temp changes the mass). Also those systems had a system of inlet piping that was prone to leakage at the joints which caused a rich condition, turbocharger overspeeding, among many other things-eventually leading to engine issues. As technology progressed, we ditched the mass air sensors primary measurement (and thus control) over fueling and moved that mostly to manifold pressure which is a little more accurate, and gives a better idea of what's actually happening. Higher pressure=higher load=more fuel (to an extent) and less ignition timing. Then the conrol system is leaps and bounds better, CPU is faster, more and better sensor data coming in, etc. Turbochargers also got better. Exhaust systems got better. Intake systems got better. They aren't unreliable anymore and commonly will go 200,000 miles + if you take care of them. Something worth noting about turbocharged gas burners is that after you get the turbo hot, say after coming to work parking lot, after getting in a road rage full throttle blast down the highway headed to work, you want to let the engine idle in neutral or park for a while before shutting it off--helps keep oil from "coking" in the turbocharger itself. Coking will close up the small clearances inside, and once they get blocked, the turbo WILL fail. But beyond that and keeping the air filter clean, it's no big deal to own/drive them. I mean, bigger trucks commonly run a million miles on a original turbo, so they are not unreliable by themselves; rather the owners who treat them wrong is usually what kills them.

Seen reference to buying a 3/4 ton diesel just to have the MPG. Trust me, it's not worth it. You pay more for the fuel, more for the truck, more for def, more for maintenance, more for repairs, and in most states more for the taxes on it. So what you saved in fuel costs you ate up elsewhere. Speaking from experience. Our shop has a 18 duramax 2500 and a 2020 ram 2500 6.4. The 6.4 pulls fine but doesn't have the torque down low. Towing the same trailer, the ram averaged 9.7 mpg. The duramax 11.3. Figuring fuel costs, maintenance, repairs, and insurance (and def) it was LESS EXPENSIVE to tow that same trailer to Indy with the ram gas burner than it was the duramax, by about $60. Go figure. Nowadays buying diesel powered pickup trucks for a regular homeowner (non commercial use), it's not much more than an excercise in compensation for other areas....

I own one, didn't want it but ended up with it (diesel 2003 f250 7.3L). I can't replace it, as a new one like it woudl be $80,000 or so which is ridiculous. So I'll just keep it as long as I can.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It's been on the horizon for a long time. They probably have to meet some silly EPA rules. The Ford TTs are pretty peppy but guzzle the juice when towing. It costs me less in diesel to tow 13000 that it does for my friend to tow 8000 in his ecoTT.
Hopefully Stellantis builds them well. I have another friend with a Cummins that often has it in for warranty work. I mean OFTEN.
I have owned 2 Dodge trucks with Cummins and have put over 300K miles on these engines. Never had one repair issue of any kind, just fluid and filter changes and batteries.

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I understand (not confirmed) that Toyota is going the same route.

I love my 2013 Tundra with the 5.7 and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Not about to drop $50-80K on a truck anyway.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this...
remember these testing methods don't necessarily duplicate real-world driving.

This is how 'they' have conned everyone into building and buying V6s and electrics.
Be nice to see 'mandates' aka LAWS that require the 'tests' to reflect REAL World testing ! If done, then nobody would buy any battery only powered vehicle. Tesla can't make it from East of Toronto to Ottawa !
It'd be nice to know the repair costs between TT-ecoboost vs normal V8,in addition to fuel and regular maintenance.

'they' have also conned the general public into needing 4WD, that has a lot of extra weight and 'engineering and COST that 99.44% of the public don't actually need. Then there's all the 'safety' features where the 'computer' takes control , that expensive to replace 'computer' and sensors !!!

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
I run Godzilla in my f350. Cubic inches are amazing. I normally get 17 mpg with 4.30 years. 10 speed with 3 overdrive gears.

Botamon

Equipment
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I have owned 2 Dodge trucks with Cummins and have put over 300K miles on these engines. Never had one repair issue of any kind, just fluid and filter changes and batteries.
My Dodge/Cummins dually is now 20 years old. Only repair I've had to do is replace a leaky water pump. Not bad for 20 years!

Botamon

Equipment
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I understand (not confirmed) that Toyota is going the same route.

I love my 2013 Tundra with the 5.7 and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Not about to drop $50-80K on a truck anyway.

Toyota did go the same route as F150, with a twin-turbo V6. Only something went wrong...all of those engines are blowing up and are being recalled.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Toyota did go the same route as F150, with a twin-turbo V6. Only something went wrong...all of those engines are blowing up and are being recalled.
Yeah, and now the '24 Tacoma only comes with a turbocharged 4 cylinder. No more "Xtra cab" models with access doors either.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The I6 hurricanes have been out for a couple of years now available in the MOPAR suv's. I'd be interested in taking one for a drive. To me, that combination (I6) would make for a decent pulling truck.

My 6.4 hemi sounds great, but that's about it. They are detuned in cab/chassis trucks like mine. Heavy duty Aisin 6 speed doesn't help either despite having a 4:44 rear. Truck falls on it face in 2nd gear when pulling/starting out on a hill while pulling 10K.

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Frankly, I have no issues with an inline-6 in principle as there have been a lot of incredible ones over the years. Smooth with good torque. I'm not a fan of downsizing combined with forced induction though, as I'm firmly in the "there's no replacement for displacement" camp.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
this...
remember these testing methods don't necessarily duplicate real-world driving.

This is how 'they' have conned everyone into building and buying V6s and electrics.
Be nice to see 'mandates' aka LAWS that require the 'tests' to reflect REAL World testing ! If done, then nobody would buy any battery only powered vehicle. Tesla can't make it from East of Toronto to Ottawa !
It'd be nice to know the repair costs between TT-ecoboost vs normal V8,in addition to fuel and regular maintenance.

'they' have also conned the general public into needing 4WD, that has a lot of extra weight and 'engineering and COST that 99.44% of the public don't actually need. Then there's all the 'safety' features where the 'computer' takes control , that expensive to replace 'computer' and sensors !!!
The "con" is not so much a con, but a result of what the markets have been wanting for years. I tend to look at the traffic flowing by work on a daily basis when I can, typically 40,000 cars a day on average but sometimes up to 60,000. I notice a LOT more F150s that are 4x4 than I do 4x2. And I notice a whole lot more extended/crew cabs than regular.

Here's a good story. In 1998 I looked at a brand new F150 Lightning (second generation, supercharged 5.4L). Wanted one but no way could I ever afford $45,000 for one. I told myself, however, that I was GOING to own one someday even if it's right before I die. Discouraged by the fact that there was no way, I went on down the road and looked around at different trucks. I found a 95 F150, 5.0L V8, 5 speed manual reg cab 2wd and bought it at $8500. It had 19,000 miles on it. Drove it all over the USA and had very few issues out of it. Exahust system rotted so I made my own and then I think a water pump, and later on a failed Odometer at 267,000 miles as I remember. Kept driving it with new odometer, all over the usa. In 2006 I was driving back from a trip and drove past a bunch of dealers and spotted a 2003 Lightning sitting on a used lot. Hmm. Wonder how much? Well turns out the salesman was also a drag racing friend so we struck a deal but I had to drive home to get a ride back to the dealer. Next day my ride couldn't make it so I called sales guy and told him, hey what's this 95 worth? "How many miles?" 261,000 showing on the odometer. HE made me an offer for it and I was fine with it. Driving to the dealer (about 40 miles) the stupid thing got STUCK in 3rd gear in a freeway traffic jam. That was no fun. Got to the dealer and parked it so that they could drive it forward only (couldn't get it to go into any other gear), we made the deal and I drove the Lightning home. That 95 had a half million miles on it-great truck but I wanted that Lightning something bad (and got it).

Anyway, back on topic. Nothing wrong with V6's. Generally speaking they're less expensive to maintain than the 5.0 is. Repairs are not a lot different, a little more stuff on the V6 as far as piping but that's about it. Stupid plastic oil pan on the 5.0, hasn't been that problematic to my knowledge but being plastic (or composite) just irks me. Drive both of them and tell me your comparison. In the same identical truck, the 5.0L is a little more "high strung" (needs RPM to make power) where the 3.5L V6 is a torque monster, almost diesel-like. It's torque curve is not much of a curve. FLAT. And it doesn't need to turn 7000 RPM, I think max is about 6200 if I remember right, and it's pretty much done by 6000 anyway. The V8 sounds a little better to my ears but the V6 will out-tow it by a good margin. It's impressive.

No replacement for displacement? Yes there is. Forced induction is the replacement. My ecoboost mustang is IMPRESSIVE, and honestly is more fun to drive in town than the 5.0L is. THe 5.0 has a lot more power but it needs to rev, the 2.3L makes more torque at certain RPM than the 5.0 does, which is right in the meat of the curve for city driving. Note that my 5.0L car destroys it on the drag strip but I like driving the 2.3 in town and on a daily basis. 5.0 car gets 22 mpg average, the 2.3L is 34 and change. 40+ on the highway, 50's if the conditions are right (usually end of spring getting into early summer, but still runnin on winter gas, 70 degree days no wind and staying at 52-55 mph). I ended up selling the V8 car, just didn't drive it that much. This is my second 2.3 car other one was a 2019, same car, no issues with it at 70,000 miles just wanted a new one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I was looking for a replacement for my '97 F150 rec cab, sht box, 4.6, I found out it's super rare here in Ontario, heck Canada. Not ONE in the country on any lot. Dealers all pushed their eco6,4 door, 4wd pickups. NOT interested,won't work for me. I could order one though. Yeah sure, buy it before I try it ? No thanks. Decided, hmm, maybe a Ranger will work IF I stop hauling 7K of pony poop... Ford Canada offers 6 versions of the Ranger, ALL 4WD ! 2WD is NOT for sale in Canada and guv will not allow me to import one from the USA. I drove all 3 styles of '67 Mustangs for decades and ZERO issues driving in snow, so I don't need what 'marketing' says I do. The battery powered F150 could work but again do NOT need 4 doors, it's 4wd would help traverse the 10 acres I play in though.