Filters

Carlsmiff08

Equipment
B2301.
May 21, 2024
Richmond VA
Where is everyone getting their oil/transmission fluid filters from ?

Nothing on Amazon looks good (at least not for the B2301), so is it a question of biting the bullet and going to a dealer ?

Thanks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I buy all hyd. filters for my Kubotas from dealer (Coleman's). That fluid is under high pressure and you burst a "save a little money filter" and you discover quickly all filters are not the same. Be aware there are companies selling exact look-a-like filters at discounted prices, and leading buyers to believe they are getting the "real McCoy".

Buy from your dealer and know you are installing a quality filter on your machine. If money is an issue give up a pizza this week!! ;);)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Carlsmiff08

Equipment
B2301.
May 21, 2024
Richmond VA
D2Cat - I hear what you are saying.... my issue is about me being lazy as getting something delivered is much easier than going to the dealer in person, especially as they are only open during times when I'm at work.
Will make the effort !

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
D2Cat - I hear what you are saying.... my issue is about me being lazy as getting something delivered is much easier than going to the dealer in person, especially as they are only open during times when I'm at work.
Will make the effort !
Dealers will deliver to your door. If your local one won't, Coleman and Messicks will.

Reactions: 3 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I made the mistake of buying my 50 hour service filters from Napa. After that, I watched a video of them comparing filters against the Kubota filters and realized there IS a difference. Kubota filters only for me going forward....

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Nothing on Amazon looks good (at least not for the B2301), so is it a question of biting the bullet and going to a dealer ?

Thanks.
I buy all of my filters (and oils) from my Kubota dealer.

Reactions: 1 users

jonsstihl

Equipment
kUBOTA GRAND L4740
Jul 2, 2020
quebec, canada
from the limited research I have done, I don't understand people using aftermarket filters to save one or two bucks on a 10 dollar filter or 10 bucks on a 70$ filter. to me the savings are just not worth it. if the aftermarket filters were half the price maybe but you get what you pay for so I go with OEM filters only.

I was in a pinch for an oil change once on my wife's Nissan pathfinder and the napa filter (because they were open sat morning was more expensive than the OEM nissan filter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I get mine at the stealers, only because its close. And I dont know for sure, but I think I read some place that WIX makes filter for the big "K"

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I get mine at the stealers, only because its close. And I dont know for sure, but I think I read some place that WIX makes filter for the big "K"
I use "Baldwin" filters.
Same quality as Fleetguard.
Baldwin is a high quality filter manufacturer in the USA.
Kubota does not manufacture ANY filters!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Kubota does not make the filters, the filters are made to their specifications.

When looking at the money tied up in a tractor and implements, to me it doesn't make sense to try saving a few dollars at the risk of a multi-thousand dollar investment.

But hey, some people are happy finding a way to save 50% on two-cent gum.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
The OP wasn’t looking to save money just some time. But a persons time is money. I agree with buy the filters from the Dealer

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Kubota does not make the filters, the filters are made to their specifications.

When looking at the money tied up in a tractor and implements, to me it doesn't make sense to try saving a few dollars at the risk of a multi-thousand dollar investment.

But hey, some people are happy finding a way to save 50% on two-cent gum.
I rather seriously doubt that ANY filter manufacturer makes filters specifically to meet Kubota specifications.
I suspect that Kubota has instead identified a filter manufacturer that already makes filters that meet Kubota specifications.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024
They may MEET Kubota specs, but I seriously doubt that any filter manufacturer would modify their filter production line, just to accommodate a relatively small market like Kubota.
My understanding is oil filter manufacturing companies will make whatever type of custom filter a company wants as long as they meet the minimum order amount and pay for them. I also have not heard of someone finding an "off the shelf" oil filter that matches a Kubota filter. At minimum, Kubota seems to have more pleating and more steel than other filters.

The Super UDT2 oil is similar, it heats up less and lasts longer than other oils. Ashland makes it, and it seems to be a custom blend.

Kubota seems to try to pack the most into a machine that they can, and I think one way they do it is going above-and-beyond other manufacturers regarding lubrication. I've heard of oil other than Super UDT2 not cooling sufficiently and leading to excessive clutch wear.

I did find out who makes WoodMaxx oil filters for the presumably US-made hydrostatic unit, and those are off-the-shelf industrial high-filtration quality filters. I haven't put that amount of effort into researching Kubota filters since my local dealer has reasonable prices for the excellent quality product, and I'd think someone else would have found a match by now if Kobota was using off-the-shelf filters.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My understanding is oil filter manufacturing companies will make whatever type of custom filter a company wants as long as they meet the minimum order amount and pay for them. I also have not heard of someone finding an "off the shelf" oil filter that matches a Kubota filter. At minimum, Kubota seems to have more pleating and more steel than other filters.

The Super UDT2 oil is similar, it heats up less and lasts longer than other oils. Ashland makes it, and it seems to be a custom blend.

Kubota seems to try to pack the most into a machine that they can, and I think one way they do it is going above-and-beyond other manufacturers regarding lubrication. I've heard of oil other than Super UDT2 not cooling sufficiently and leading to excessive clutch wear.

I did find out who makes WoodMaxx oil filters for the presumably US-made hydrostatic unit, and those are off-the-shelf industrial high-filtration quality filters. I haven't put that amount of effort into researching Kubota filters since my local dealer has reasonable prices for the excellent quality product, and I'd think someone else would have found a match by now if Kobota was using off-the-shelf filters.
This is true. Different application, but you aren't going to find an oil filter for a Trane or Carrier or York chiller anywhere but from those manufacturers. They might be made by Mann Hummel (or whoever) but you can't get em off a shelf.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Thanks.
I support my local dealer. They stock parts. They give me service. They've been there for me for the past 40+ years which is partly why I've bough my 4th Kubota from them.

If you want to save money and stick it to the man then stop wasting money on things like oil and filter changes.

• Haha
  • Love