Zero Turn Start Issue

Johnwat

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota ZG124E Zero Turn
Jul 11, 2024
Douglass, TX
My ZG124E has had start issues almost from the 1st day. With a fairly new battery, I will just get a engine click when turning the key. After several attempts and clicks, the engine will sometimes turn over, sometimes not. I have replaced the switch with no change and am about to change the solenoid. If that doesn't work, should I change the starter itself?
Thanks so much.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
My ZG124E has had start issues almost from the 1st day. With a fairly new battery, I will just get a engine click when turning the key. After several attempts and clicks, the engine will sometimes turn over, sometimes not. I have replaced the switch with no change and am about to change the solenoid. If that doesn't work, should I change the starter itself?
Thanks so much.
Safety switches

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Battery cables / check high current connections

Since it 'clicks', the signal TO the starter solenoid seems good, but not enough current to spin the starter.
Or it could be a 'bad' starter solenoid, or 'bad' starter.

'since 1st day'....
is this a brand new machine ?
if not how old ?

Johnwat

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota ZG124E Zero Turn
Jul 11, 2024
Douglass, TX
It is not a new machine but it does not have 100 hours on it since it is at my weekend place.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
When I had similar issue was pto switch. Volt meter going to be your best friend here. See where you have voltage and where not.

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
I have 2 Ford tractors that do the same thing. On my tractors, it's the solenoid that is not making a solid connection when it is energized. These solenoids are not rebuildable, meaning I cannot open the solenoid and polish the contacts to allow them to make a better connection. I used to do that with the older solenoids. :)

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
aww, you just drill out the 4 rivets in the corners and then everything flies out , all over the place !!
When you find the 'bar', install upside down, then use a fine dbl side flat file to 'mate' the contacts to minimize pitting. I use 6-32 nuts and bolts to secure the case halves.
I was always going to add a capacitor across the studs, just like the 'condensor' with 'points'.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks so much.
I have in my files this recall or service bulletin for ZG mowers regarding brake switch.
I do not know about this issue just filed the document.
Dave

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
brake switch almost always is the culprit on a click but no start condition. Occasionally bad connections or bad ground. Check the engine mounting bolts (especially you Kohler guys...)

Reactions: 1 user