Whos into home grown

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
We checked out the fruit trees up north this morning then we played in the dirt. Finally have a pear, a few peaches and sure looks like maybe some persimmons. (Still no crab apples or paw paws…maybe next year?)
What implement did you use and what is the procedure performed in those two pictures of a field?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
What implement did you use and what is the procedure performed in those two pictures of a field?
Good day.

I used a garden bedder (hiller).

Procedure started in the fall:
0. After last year harvest I put down some winter rye (cache crop to be used as a green manure in spring)

1. Fast forward to several weeks back, i used my brush cutter to chop the rye down and up, then I tilled all that rye into the soil.

2. Then I put a shallow furrow in and planted potato’s.

That brings me today (the potatoes were up somewhere between 8-12ish inches)

3. first I backed up to the implement and lifted it up with the QH20 and flipped the levers down. Then I argued a bit with the spousal unit as the discs were not set appropriately to her trained eye.😉

4. Drive down the hill and back to the garden space. I line up on center of the row and pull forward until the implement is just at the edge of the plot, lower the 3 point and drive until implement is at the edge on the opposite side of the patch, lift the three point and go to the next row and repeat. Then finished with some fertilizer on the rows.

5. Hydrate with beverage of choice and listen to the ‘see I told you anthem’ that it was good thing we adjusted the discs.

Does that answer your question / make sense? 🥃

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Good day.

I used a garden bedder (hiller).

Procedure started in the fall:
0. After last year harvest I put down some winter rye (cache crop to be used as a green manure in spring)

1. Fast forward to several weeks back, i used my brush cutter to chop the rye down and up, then I tilled all that rye into the soil.

2. Then I put a shallow furrow in and planted potato’s.

That brings me today (the potatoes were up somewhere between 8-12ish inches)

3. first I backed up to the implement and lifted it up with the QH20 and flipped the levers down. Then I argued a bit with the spousal unit as the discs were not set appropriately to her trained eye.😉

4. Drive down the hill and back to the garden space. I line up on center of the row and pull forward until the implement is just at the edge of the plot, lower the 3 point and drive until implement is at the edge on the opposite side of the patch, lift the three point and go to the next row and repeat. Then finished with some fertilizer on the rows.

5. Hydrate with beverage of choice and listen to the ‘see I told you anthem’ that it was good thing we adjusted the discs.

Does that answer your question / make sense? 🥃
Actually the picture answered my question. What you have is a hiller,not a turning plow. If soil has been previously tilled up that implement can make beds/hills. Those discs aren't correct for what they are being asked to do. To turn soil they must be cupped like a dinner plate and weighted somehow.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Actually the picture answered my question. What you have is a hiller,not a turning plow. If soil has been previously tilled up that implement can make beds/hills. Those discs aren't correct for what they are being asked to do. To turn soil they must be cupped like a dinner plate and weighted somehow.
Maybe I should file a warranty claim with EA then or ask for a refund?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Love the little helpers, when my oldest was about 2, I was doing peas on the porch, she would eat one and give one to my lab, and so on and so on,,,,, that poor dog just crapped his guts out, and there were several filled dippers that night too. Gawd I miss those days of small kids and dogs, and large gardens

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You gonna make fun of my English in this thread too? Should it have been stringed?
I don't make "fun" of English, I actually feel sorry for those who cannot express themselves correctly.
Though they may not know it, they embarrass themselves when writing, or respond in writing, to a letter.
I'm guessin English ain't been teached in schools for a long while.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Seems like a pretty productive crop so far. 👍.

I wish we were that far along…we are just starting to get blooms

How will you put all those up? (Can, freeze, freeze dry, etc?) ☕
She cans them. The first year we had the garden she canned 140 or so quarts, good thing as the next years didn’t make anything hardly. Canned like 60 quarts that year I think.
We do the same with field peas, but in pints.
The tomatoes and jalapeños she makes salsa and pickled jalapeños to can.
Cucumbers get turned to pickles.

Not preppers or homesteaders by any means, just like having a few things set back.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Today I pulled a test bulb off the end of a row…then it started raining. Seems like they might be ready. I’ll let it dry out a little then will pull the rest.
IMG_3185.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Today I pulled a test bulb off the end of a row…then it started raining. Seems like they might be ready. I’ll let it dry out a little then will pull the rest. View attachment 131373
How dry are the tops? Your picture looks like they’re starting to dry up.

Couple weeks after scapes the tops would brown and that was good.

Seems early, but when they’re ready, they're ready… (y)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
How dry are the tops? Your picture looks like they’re starting to dry up.

Couple weeks after scapes the tops would brown and that was good.

Seems early, but when they’re ready, they're ready… (y)
I pulled the scapes June 3rd. Plants are definitely drying up…they are ready, however I’d like soil to dry up a little…we had close to an inch of rain between early this morning and late this afternoon. The soil was a little too wet IMO and wanted to stick to the bulb awful bad and I don’t want to have to rub too hard to clean it and bruise it. So I’ll hope after a day or so maybe the soil dries a little.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Today I pulled a test bulb off the end of a row…then it started raining. Seems like they might be ready. I’ll let it dry out a little then will pull the rest. View attachment 131373
Looks like a bit of rain rest of the week so I pulled the first garden…

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Garlic looks good. I grew it for years…about 350 plants.

I got so I would wash it in a pail of water after cutting the top off and trimming roots.

Then immediately get spread out to dry for a couple days, weather dependent.

I grew German Red garlic, and it would store well in our cold cellar over the winter.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Garlic looks good. I grew it for years…about 350 plants.

I got so I would wash it in a pail of water after cutting the top off and trimming roots.

Then immediately get spread out to dry for a couple days, weather dependent.

I grew German Red garlic, and it would store well in our cold cellar over the winter.
I leave the roots and tops on and hang it for a couple months untill fully dry. The roots and stalks pull moisture from the plant evenly as it dries. Not supposed to wash it either for longest storage. We still are eating last years garlic from the root cellar. The hard neck gets used first and the soft neck is good for a year when properly dried.