Buying a used machine

bob guy

Equipment
tractor
Jun 23, 2024
Maine
I'm looking at used machine. It seems sensible. Looking at a b7510. This will be my first real tractor. (I had a JD lx176). I also own an excavator which I plan on selling. I'll miss it but a tractor seems more versatile. I plan on using the machine for snow plowing (Front mount), moving firewood, some digging and fustsing around, possibly brush chipping and wood splitting. I'm looking at a b7510. I'll try to add a link. Additionally, I'm wondering about parts availability for a twenty year old machine? I contacted a local Kubota dealer about parts availability/ age of machine. I questioned them quite closely to the point where they became agitated. I got answers with a lot of ambiguous adjectives which told me I was barking up the right tree. I came to the conclusion that after twenty years, parts availability would depend on the popularity of the machine. That puts this machine in the mildly sketchy category. Any advise would be appreciated.

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Good
2004 Tractor W/Loader, in 2017 added heated cab W/Wiper. Single owner residential use by homeowner. Well maintained in good working order, Less than 400 Hrs.

Topsham, ME
Location is approximate
1719147908189.png
1719147908189.png

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm looking at used machine. It seems sensible. Looking at a b7510. This will be my first real tractor. (I had a JD lx176). I also own an excavator which I plan on selling. I'll miss it but a tractor seems more versatile. I plan on using the machine for snow plowing (Front mount), moving firewood, some digging and fustsing around, possibly brush chipping and wood splitting. I'm looking at a b7510. I'll try to add a link. Additionally, I'm wondering about parts availability for a twenty year old machine? I contacted a local Kubota dealer about parts availability/ age of machine. I questioned them quite closely to the point where they became agitated. I got answers with a lot of ambiguous adjectives which told me I was barking up the right tree. I came to the conclusion that after twenty years, parts availability would depend on the popularity of the machine. That puts this machine in the mildly sketchy category. Any advise would be appreciated.

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Good
2004 Tractor W/Loader, in 2017 added heated cab W/Wiper. Single owner residential use by homeowner. Well maintained in good working order, Less than 400 Hrs.

Topsham, ME
Location is approximate
View attachment 131347 View attachment 131347
Looks/seems very nice,
I think a major consideration is price!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You can plan on replacing all the rubber hoses in the next 2 years as they start going bad and spring leaks. This was one of the reasons I sold my 20-year-old Kubota, the hoses were all going bad and it became a nuisance to change and add fluid every month. Cylinders were also starting to leak, and I realized that I was at a turning point, rebuild all the hydraulics or sell it and buy a newer machine. Hoses are easy since you can make them with little effort other than reaching into your wallet. Cylinder rebuilding can get expensive if you can't do it yourself, and the kits usually start at $100. Engine and transmissions are usually bulletproof unless having been abused. If the tires haven't been replaced, then that is another expense as they are old and will have cracks. Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain when you look at future costs. I would look for a newer machine and pay more for the convenience of not having to do a lot of expensive repairs. Some say "that is all that I can afford" and I have no agreement with that statement, but can you afford the upkeep and maintenance that an older machine will require?

Reactions: 1 user

bob guy

Equipment
tractor
Jun 23, 2024
Maine
You can plan on replacing all the rubber hoses in the next 2 years as they start going bad and spring leaks. This was one of the reasons I sold my 20-year-old Kubota, the hoses were all going bad and it became a nuisance to change and add fluid every month. Cylinders were also starting to leak, and I realized that I was at a turning point, rebuild all the hydraulics or sell it and buy a newer machine. Hoses are easy since you can make them with little effort other than reaching into your wallet. Cylinder rebuilding can get expensive if you can't do it yourself, and the kits usually start at $100. Engine and transmissions are usually bulletproof unless having been abused. If the tires haven't been replaced, then that is another expense as they are old and will have cracks. Sometimes a bargain isn't a bargain when you look at future costs. I would look for a newer machine and pay more for the convenience of not having to do a lot of expensive repairs. Some say "that is all that I can afford" and I have no agreement with that statement, but can you afford the upkeep and maintenance that an older machine will require?

bob guy

Equipment
tractor
Jun 23, 2024
Maine
Excellent and probably informed reply. That all seems plausible. I don't have the capability to make hoses so that would run into money. I can't weld either so that might be a consideration. The price point is attractive but it's also a little smaller than I want. I'd like something more in the 24 hp range.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
"Different strokes for different folks"

I bought my 2006 L48 TLB in 2019.
It had lived outside for it's previous 13 years (it now lives inside).
I have not replaced one hose, and none look cracked, or in danger of bursting.
I have zero leaks anywhere on the tractor!
The front tires have very slight sidewall cracking, but my Ford 8N tires were 60+ years old before I replaced them.
The last L48 was built in 2009
There are many Kubota parts common to other models.
I am not concerned.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I shopped for a used Kubota tractor for 2 years, looking in the mid-20s HP range with a loader, and a backhoe at least available, and gave up when next to nothing was coming up for sale, and what did that sort of fit the need was only a couple grand less than brand new in 2017. The neighbor whose BX25D inspired me to invest in a (sub)compact Kubota got his new, after finding a used one selling for more than the deal at the time for a new machine.
It's nearly paid off and has 1250 hours with few repairs and no leaks. Runs like just broken in.
I went all in with the buy and outfitted with the basics: loader with 54" bucket & SSQA and pallet forks, backhoe, box scraper, and the 63" front snow blower. In nearly 7 years none of it has needed shop work. All the maintenance repairs for small issues mostly caused by me I could fix with basic tools with parts from town.
More attachments followed.

The one you pictured has enough dirty grease showing at the loader grease points that I'd agree the machine has been well maintained. Only 400 hours also means only 3 scheduled service intervals gone by too, so lots of life left! I hope the oils were serviced at least every 2 years anyway, as with only 20 hours per year average leaving it sit the rest of the time over so many seasons hot/cold cycles can degrade lubricants and lead to condensation issues too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

The front tires have very slight sidewall cracking, but my Ford 8N tires were 60+ years old before I replaced them.
I am not concerned.
Fried1765 I agree. I've owned several Kubotas and many that were well over 20 years old. I've never replace a hydraulic hose on any of them. Don't worry about the mule going blind, load the wagon!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

bob guy

Equipment
tractor
Jun 23, 2024
Maine

I am not concerned.
Thanks for the input

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Fried1765 I agree. I've owned several Kubotas and many that were well over 20 years old. I've never replace a hydraulic hose on any of them.
^^^^^^

Same for me.

I'm sure it can depend on usage and exposure to the elements, but my L2350DT turned 28 yrs old this past may. Just logged 1100 hrs on it.

Never replaced a hose and has NO leaks anywhere. A couple of years ago I did have one cylinder start to drip a bit, so I just went ahead and replaced all the seals in all the cylinders.

Good to go another 20 years or so. No doubt will outlast ME.

27b.jpg
LP Maint09.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
^^^^^^

Same for me.

I'm sure it can depend on usage and exposure to the elements, but my L2350DT turned 28 yrs old this past may. Just logged 1100 hrs on it.

Never replaced a hose and has NO leaks anywhere. A couple of years ago I did have one cylinder start to drip a bit, so I just went ahead and replaced all the seals in all the cylinders.

Good to go another 20 years or so. No doubt will outlast ME.

View attachment 131371 View attachment 131372
I sure do hope that is NOT a black PLASTIC discharge handle that I see on the extinguisher!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is a black handle fire extinguisher. He will never need to use it.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How is parts availability?
J don't really know.
Have not needed much forr the Kubota.

I do know that Messick's has been very helpful with parts for my 35 yo. Ford 1920.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It is a black handle fire extinguisher. He will never need to use it.
We all HOPE that extinguishers are NEVER needed.
Check out how that worked for Andrew Camarata, with his mini-ex, on his U-Tube channel.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I’d buy that tractor. 400 hrs is nothing on those machines. I had a 7500 years ago and only sold it cuz I moved and didn't want to drag it 950 miles. I wouldn’t worry about parts for it at all. I have a lot of hours on three different Kubotas and never needed anything but filters etc.

Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The machine itself is probably fine, and looks in good condition.

Are you snow blowing or plowing? If you're looking for a front snow blower, you really want to buy a machine with one, they're not easy to add later. If you are plowing, less of an issue, although a lot of people would recommend a plow truck for not much money over a plow tractor.

With an older tractor I'd recommend looking for one that has all the options that you need that are specific to that machine. So if you want rear hydraulics, make sure it has them. If you want a loader or a grapple, make sure it has them. Adding those things to an old machine is quite hard.

3pt implements are a different story, you can find them from wherever.

Reactions: 3 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The machine itself is probably fine, and looks in good condition.

Are you snow blowing or plowing? If you're looking for a front snow blower, you really want to buy a machine with one, they're not easy to add later. If you are plowing, less of an issue, although a lot of people would recommend a plow truck for not much money over a plow tractor.

With an older tractor I'd recommend looking for one that has all the options that you need that are specific to that machine. So if you want rear hydraulics, make sure it has them. If you want a loader or a grapple, make sure it has them. Adding those things to an old machine is quite hard.

3pt implements are a different story, you can find them from wherever.
Yes the front-mount snow blower will be a rare and expensive "add-on", if one can even be had or found.