BX2660 Losing Engine Oil from "Mystery" Engine Port

George M. Garber

Equipment
Kubota MX7040 with LA1153; BX2660 with LA243
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
Hello Everyone!

I own a 2010 Kubota BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Engine Model: D1005-ET03, (Family: 8KBXL01.3BCB), with a 60"-belly finish mower.

After cutting grass on my 3-acre tract this past week, I noticed that engine oil was slung all over the front lower left of the interior of the engine compartment, as viewed from the driver's seat position.

I investigated possible sources of the oil leak and quickly determined that there is an exposed hole / port at the base of the engine towards the front left of the BX, (as viewed from the driver's seat position), and it looks like something is supposed to go in the hole, like a plug or heavy duty screw or bolt. I have never noticed this hole / port before and it looks like whatever was there vibrated out over time.

I have been trying to look up Kubota BX engine diagrams to determine what exactly is this port and what high temp machine screw or bolt is supposed to go there? I have searched around the engine compartment looking for clues but haven't found anything.

I checked the oil dipstick and there was only a little bit of oil remaining on the tip of the dipstick so I came close to seizing the engine without ever realizing I had an oil leak. There was no loss of power or smoke or rough engine running under load.

This has never happened before and I am at as loss.

I figured it was time to ask the experts here to solve the mystery.

I am attaching a picture of the open port at the base of the engine and it is on the left front side of the BX as viewed from the driver's seat.

I hope there is a simple solution and a replacement part I can order from Kubota or Messicks and get back up and running again.

Any help would be most appreciated!

5673114843532866969.jpg
-548005986433312455.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
Thank you North Idaho Wolfman!

I will order the oil gauge plug right away!

I appreciate the quick response.

Have a great weekend!

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I finally moved out from the city, the rancher I bought from had a mid-60s JD (2030 I think) which he allowed me to use for awhile… and he warned me that EACH TIME before starting it to:
1-Check the Oil,
2- Check the Radiator.

I always did and they always were fine…. but there were no gauges or warn-lamps that I recall on it.

The “oil gauge rod” is something I almost never think about on my old, but low-time Kubota which has spoiled-me because it uses no oil. This thread reminds me how lazy I’d become…. Need to wake up. This sort of thing could get expensive.

Reactions: 1 users

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
I have ordered a new "oil gauge plug" from Messick's this afternoon for $3.29 plus shipping. I went ahead and ordered 4 just to have them on hand in case this plug blows out again.

Not sure why this happened and I have been running my BX2660 for 14-years this year on my farm.

I do always check my fluid levels before each cutting and I have yearly routine maintenance done on the unit. I rarely have to put oil in my BX.

My wife and I moved from the city to the farm 17- years ago and couldn't function without our full size Kubota MX7040 and the "little" BX2660.

We love our Kubota tractors!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You should have checked with your local dealer. They might have had it in stock. I believe in supporting the local Kubota dealer whenever possible. If everyone orders only from Messicks when they need a part, then local Kubota dealers will go away, just like your local automobile dealers. If a dealership is to stock parts for their customers, but their customers go to a mail-order dealer, then why would they want to stock parts that no one wants? My local Kubota dealer usually has everything in stock or can get it from one of their other 8 stores in a day or two. It doesn't cost me any more than ordering from Messicks, but I don't have to pay for shipping, so many times it actually costs less.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
When I finally moved out from the city, the rancher I bought from had a mid-60s JD (2030 I think) which he allowed me to use for awhile… and he warned me that EACH TIME before starting it to:
1-Check the Oil,
2- Check the Radiator.

I always did and they always were fine…. but there were no gauges or warn-lamps that I recall on it.

The “oil gauge rod” is something I almost never think about on my old, but low-time Kubota which has spoiled-me because it uses no oil. This thread reminds me how lazy I’d become…. Need to wake up. This sort of thing could get expensive.
Thank you for this. I have a BX with 165 hours on it. I too have become complacent.

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
Hi DustyRusty,

in theory, I absolutely agree with supporting local dealers and businesses. However in this case, my local Kubota dealer was bought out by a conglomerate out of Kentucky several years ago and the customer service is absolutely horrible. In every department. The original folks are long gone and they brought in people with no experience with tractors or farm equipment, or customer service. What they do have are attitudes if you ask an honest detailed question about fitment, model application, availability, etc. Totally unnecessary and that usually indicates they have no idea what they are doing and are therefore reacting defensively trying to belittle the customer.

I have had several run-ins with their service department manager where they (pardon my French) screwed me over on repairs and return delivery on my M7040 and my BX 2660 at different times over the course of about 5-years. I have since found a local "shade tree" farm equipment mechanic that can work on my tractors and does an excellent job at a fraction of the cost of the local Kubota dealer. He is also honest and up front and never spins or bs's me with what is the going on with my equipment or the status of the repair.

I will never go back to my local Kubtoa dealer and have ordered from either Amazon or Messick's on any small Kubota OEM part I might need. My original Kubota dealer, before the buyout, was fantastic and that was where I bought my BX2660 back in 2010. I was able to get regular service there on the BX for about 3 years after purchase and then they sold out to a large farm equipment company that was taking over "mom and pop" dealers all over the Southeast and that was when the customer service plummeted.

I even had a couple of the mechanics tell me that the new owner of the Kubota dealership installed security cameras in the shop area to keep tabs on the mechanics. These guys told me that the service manager sits in his office all day and monitors them and then writes them up and yells at them for infractions . That is a very hostile work environment in my opinion.

This same "big fish eating smaller fish" story is repeated, I am sorry to say, from car dealerships, funeral homes, gravel suppliers, concrete plants, asphalt plants, lumber yards, etc. I could go on and on. It is a sad state of affairs but small businesses keep disappearing from across our great country.

I absolutely support my local small business where I can, even if it means paying a bit more for products and services. I pray that the American dream of starting and running one's own business will not die out in the years to come but it isn't looking good I am afraid.

Reactions: 6 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One thing to consider when dealing with “oil gauge rods” …AKA ”dipsticks” …. Most of them have a part number stamped ON the dipstick to assist in identification. Different oil sump sizes are sometimes installed on the SAME engine when that engine is used in various different machines. (And used equipt may have had their dipsticks altered or improperly installed by former owners. My JD 4239 had an aftermarket dipstick I had to replace.)

This can result in the WRONG dipstick in a particular installation. (When you do your oil change it’s a good idea to Confirm the amount of oil installed versus what is indicated on the dipstick.)

When I bought my lightly-used Kubota RTV-X900… I immediately performed an oil-and-filter change so I’d be assured of things….. and the Published oil quantity was indicated as Over-Filled when the dipstick was checked after the first start-up/leak-check.
I called the local Kubota dealer who checked an X900 sitting on the showroom-floor… and discovered a different-length dipstick and different PN stamped on it.
I ordered the correct ”oil gauge rod” ….and removed the excess oil.

Last edited:

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Unfortunately this is what you get these days from commercial/conglomerate dealers and parts stores. No clue, can't function without the computer. See attached

Attachments

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
I think your "meme" hit the nail on the head Ktrim!

Sad but true!

I have encountered similar interactions in the parts department.

I have even been told that "Kubota doesn't make that part anymore" because they couldn't find it in their computer, when I had looked up the part myself on my home computer before I drove over to the parts department.

My small replacement parts usually come from Messick's and my "oil gauge plugs" are enroute and should be here tomorrow by USPS.

• Sad

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I would like to know what caused it to blow out? Dont see any threads in that hole.

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
I have no idea why the plug blew out. It isn't used as oil gauge sensor port on my engine and I am assuming it had a cap or plug in the hole and for some reason blew out or vibrated out.

I have been using this BX for 14 years without any issue with this port plug falling out.

I used my pinkie finger in the port hole to see if I could feel any threads and there weren't any.

I will have to see how the oil gauge plug from Messick's fits and let you guys know if it screws in or is tapped in.

However it plugs the hole, I sure don't need this thing "blowing" out again and causing a dangerous loss of oil in my BX. This is a dangerous situation and could result in the engine seizing.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I think your "meme" hit the nail on the head Ktrim!

Sad but true!

I have encountered similar interactions in the parts department.

I have even been told that "Kubota doesn't make that part anymore" because they couldn't find it in their computer, when I had looked up the part myself on my home computer before I drove over to the parts department.

My small replacement parts usually come from Messick's and my "oil gauge plugs" are enroute and should be here tomorrow by USPS.
A few yrs ago I was working on a chipper and needed a coil wire. Went to local auto zone and, knowing they had single wires, and asked to see their selection of wires to match up. After 4 times of make and model? "You're not gonna find it"
I finally gave in and told the young girl " 1954 asplundh chipper with 6 volt ford 4 cyl industrial engine"
After the blank stare I got " why don't you just go in the back and match it up. 🤦‍♂️

• Love
  • Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have ordered a new "oil gauge plug" from Messick's this afternoon for $3.29 plus shipping. I went ahead and ordered 4 just to have them on hand in case this plug blows out again.

Not sure why this happened and I have been running my BX2660 for 14-years this year on my farm.

I do always check my fluid levels before each cutting and I have yearly routine maintenance done on the unit. I rarely have to put oil in my BX.

My wife and I moved from the city to the farm 17- years ago and couldn't function without our full size Kubota MX7040 and the "little" BX2660.

We love our Kubota tractors!
Oh my good sir someone ripped you off... 😟
Kubota never made a MX7040, must be a Chinese knock off. :oops:

Now a M7040, now we are talking. 😁:p

That port on the block is for a dipstick on other uses of the motor.
I put RTV on them when I put them in, I think they come out because they get hard and shrink a little over time.

George M. Garber

Equipment
Jun 15, 2024
Dellrose, TN
The Chinese do make amazing "knock offs" of things, but alas I have an "original" Kubota M7040, so I can't compare their copy. Maybe Harbor Freight makes an MX7040?:) You should see some of the sChinese manufacturered stuff they sell on Temu and it is is the exact same stuff Amazon carries, just much less expensive than Amazon.

You are probably right that the RTV sealant shrinks over time with heat exposure and age and the plug just gave way after 14 years of use.

I am anxious to get my BX back up and running since I have a bit more grass to cut before the weekend rolls around.

I owned a Cub Cadet and a Ford New Holland lawn tractor before the Kubota BX and I have been very happy with the heavy duty nature and quality of design of the Kubota products. Of course, you pay a premium for Kubota Orange but I feel it has been worth it in the long run. I couldn't keep the Cub Cadet and New Holland running season to season and I swear those units spent more time at the dealer's service garage then they did in my garage. I traded the the Cub Cadet and New Holland when we moved to the farm since those units really weren't up to the task of finish mowing a more rugged 3-acre tract around the house.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You are probably right that the RTV sealant shrinks over time with heat exposure and age and the plug just gave way after 14 years of use.
The original plug had no RTV on it, just the interference fit in the hole. As North Idaho Wolfman stated, apply a thin coating of RTV on the sides of the new one and insert it into the hole. The RTV adds longevity to the plug staying in the block. Over time the rubber gets soft and shrinks making the interference fit loose.
I also apply RTV to the rubber plugs.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We use to have a pretty good dealer here and I know at least one of their people read things on here,. Now as I understand it they 3, maybe 4 stores by now. I know prices are set by someone way up the food chain for parts, not the local store. It use to be when you walked in someone greeted you from behind the counter or someone in one of the offices, those days are gone, and now its all about the buck, they dont seem to care about you coming back. Im glad the OP got it figured out, and wont bind up a motor

• Sad

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Many rave about Amazon, but they don't like me, bought 1,000s from Banggood, now 1,000s from TEMU.
SAME items,just a LOT cheaper...free shipping too.
At 71 , I can wait a week or 2 for stuff. Heck complete bolt-on carb for $10...no sense in trying to clean the crap outta the bowl !