Why is perception often much different than the truth?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The problem with statistics is they are usually wrong. Bad data, often skewed to present the data in a bent that suits an agenda.
Correct! I used to work with a guy that taught at the SAS institute. He had a PhD in statistics. He could easily gin up a statistical test for whatever outcome you so desired...and explain it in such a way that you'd believe it as well. That's how it works. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I only take moral, medical / health, and ‘SCIENCE’ and personal safety related advice from Hollyweird celebrities, professional athletes and political hacks. Anytime someone mentions SCIENCE I know it must be true. 😉

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Correct! I used to work with a guy that taught at the SAS institute. He had a PhD in statistics. He could easily gin up a statistical test for whatever outcome you so desired...and explain it in such a way that you'd believe it as well. That's how it works. ;)
Reminds me of the old saying…” Figures don’t lie, but liars figure…”

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Several of our friends were together over the weekend and the conversation turned to a robbery of one of our acquaintances. It was generally believed by most of us that crime has been a growing problem in this country. We wanted to see how much it has changed so we did an interwebby search. We were all pretty surprised to find this:

What's happening
The best data we have available shows that violent crime in the United States has declined significantly over the past couple of years. But ask the average American and they’ll confidently tell you that it’s actually going up.

According to the FBI’s preliminary analysis, crimes like murder, rape and assault fell in 2023 at what could prove to be a record pace, erasing a pandemic-era spike in violent crimes and bringing the national rates near the lowest levels ever recorded. The rate of property crimes like burglary and theft has also declined.

In survey after survey, though, Americans consistently say they believe crime is increasing. In a poll taken late last year, 77% of people said crime is getting worse, and two-thirds said crime is an extremely or very serious problem. The last time Americans were so pessimistic about crime was in the early 1990s, when the violent crime rate was more than double what it is today.

View attachment 130011

Apparently we aren't alone in thinking this.
Haven’t had too many issues. I think despite the high resale value of trucks, truck theft seems to be down…People seem to leave my truck alone…I normally don’t even bother to roll up the windows unless it’s raining. 😉 Even when we go to city and see pan handlers at the intersections or wherever they won’t even come up to ask for a handout? 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Haven’t had too many issues. I think despite the high resale value of trucks, truck theft seems to be down…People seem to leave my truck alone…I normally don’t even bother to roll up the windows unless it’s raining. 😉 Even when we go to city and see pan handlers at the intersections or wherever they won’t even come up to ask for a handout? 🤷‍♂️
IMG_0764.jpeg
haley and davidson.jpg

I use to have that security protection as well. Unfortunately no longer in service!

Reactions: 1 users