Why is perception often much different than the truth?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since illegally crossing U.S. borders is no longer handle as a crime, that accounts for millions fewer reported crimes in recent years. The same could be said for shoplifting, the act happens a lot more but since few arrests are made it gives the perception shoplifting is declining
What use to be called shoplifting is not longer shoplifting, at least in Calif.

California Penal Code § 459.5 PC defines "shoplifting" as entering a commercial establishment during regular business hours with the intent to steal merchandise valued at $950 or less. Shoplifting is a misdemeanor offense punishable by: probation, fines, restitution to the victim, and up to 6 months of

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Add mail fraud ,wire fraud and bank fraud to things that was once serious crimes that are now called scams and scams fall under buyer beware, not crime. Judge Judy Sheindlin with over 20 years on the bench in Manhattan wrote a book "Don't P** on my leg and tell me it's raining" about these assertions crime is on a downward spiral.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
D2Cat said:
If, in fact, crime is down why are there so many jails being built?
To hold criminals tracked down and convicted in future years for crimes committed Jan 6th 2021 ?
Because prisons have been ”privatized”…. Running prisons is a Business…and it makes Money for the business operation. Doh.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Because prisons have been ”privatized”…. Running prisons is a Business…and it makes Money for the business operation. Doh.
Lots of states are moving away from private prisons because the state run prisons are cheaper for the state.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I don't care if they're private or guv run, we need MORE of them ! Two or three in every major city to start.

Prison Cost per Inmate in Canada is at $115K

In USA "Spending per prisoner varies more than tenfold across states, from just under $23,000 per person in Arkansas to $307,468 in Massachusetts"

"The average cost per active-duty service member is now close to $140,000"

"Right now, members of Parliament earn a base salary of $194,600 per year — but that’s due to rise to $203,100 on April 1."

Instead of prisons and welfare why not make them do military service and pay them for it?

Reactions: 1 user

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
I don't care if they're private or guv run, we need MORE of them ! Two or three in every major city to start.
Perhaps we could save money with more severe forms of punishment... If people aren't amenable to that, at least make prison more miserable without cable TV, internet, air conditioning, etc. You know, back to the way it was in school for most of us...
Oh, I wouldn't mind seeing their healthcare reduced as well, at least to the level of what I have with a major national insurance company. After paying $800/mo, you have to pay $5k-$10k out of pocket before insurance kicks in, and if you don't pay it, you'll be fighting that debt for the rest of your life... I'm not bitter, really. :ROFLMAO:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Maybe they want equality ?
wannbe....Dirty Harriet ??
Naawww I dont think so, and in some places the law of the land is no longer feared ,and people have started to follow the law of the jungle

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
ABC news story 6/10/24 said plans are being marketed to children for building a Lago size plastic key on 3D printer that converts ANY firearm to fully automatic.

What do you think the general public's perception of that story is? Quite different to my perception which is ABC should be punished for broadcasting lies (it can't possibly work on ANY firearm). I believe they should also be punished for basically advertising a very dangerous enterprise. People that never heard of such device will go online looking to order one each for a 94 Winchester inherited from Grandpaw and bolt action 22 rife received on their 12th birthday . What possible reason is there to inform people of this?

In the film clip of a policeman firing at a range the weapon appeared to be a Glock which is likely what the key fits.

It's no mystery why perception is different to reality.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
jaxs, we know why the news media posts things like this to the unknowing masses. Ratings first off, and secondly, who they are owned by, and the agenda that drives them.

It is called a GLOCK SWITCH, and as far as I know GLOCK is the only handgun that is designed to work like that. It was designed for the military and didnt get much interest, not really a very practical piece, but then the people that use them aint the smartest either.

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Seems my local news affiliates and the AP are really pushing this FBI stat of lower crime a lot in the past few weeks. It's almost like the FBI is working with the media to spread this disinformation, but surely they wouldn't do that before an election... :ROFLMAO:

Same BS games, same puppet masters, different election.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Regarding perception ,reality, crime and overflowing jails. Majority of population thinks if you have any interaction with police and have an outstanding arrest warrant you will be arrested on that warrant.

Several businesses called 911 to report a man aggressively panhandling and harassing last week in Bedford Texas. Later that day 39 year old Brandon Paramore forced his way into a 79 year old lady's home and killed her. Police recognized Paramore on Ring images and voice as the man from earlier that day. Police located Paramore and arrested him on outstanding warrants. Following additional investigation Paramore was charged in the murder.

Police apparently used discretion in not arresting Paramore earlier that day. Paramore has a long rap sheet which makes me wonder if all jails were like that of former Maricopa AZ sheriff Joe Arpaio, we would have fewer repeat offenders,therefore need fewer jails. FBI and news media could truthfully report statistics.

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
I sure wish someone would publish how many of these crimes are gang-related. The huge increase in car theft is definitely gang-related, and I'd place money that many of the shootings are as well. I guess the media isn't allowed to delve into these statistics as they'll come across as racist or anti-immigration by reporting this information.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I sure wish someone would publish how many of these crimes are gang-related. The huge increase in car theft is definitely gang-related, and I'd place money that many of the shootings are as well. I guess the media isn't allowed to delve into these statistics as they'll come across as racist or anti-immigration by reporting this information.
Have to be carful what you say about gangs ,they might sue for defamation. If you add drug related there's no telling how #s look. Alcohol evidently doesn't have good lobbyists since alcohol related stats are reported.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thinking about it, I think one reason perception is so different from reality in today’s world is that we have a great difficulty in determining what reality is, if it’s not something that happens right within our sphere of existence.

Very difficult to sort out the spin, smoke, and/or mirrors, or whatever you wanna call it, from reality. Quite easy to believe something that is fed to us, when we don’t really have any good way to measure whether what we’re being fed is truth or falsehood. Not impossible, but difficult.

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Thinking about it, I think one reason perception is so different from reality in today’s world is that we have a great difficulty in determining what reality is, if it’s not something that happens right within our sphere of existence.

Very difficult to sort out the spin, smoke, and/or mirrors, or whatever you wanna call it, from reality. Quite easy to believe something that is fed to us, when we don’t really have any good way to measure whether what we’re being fed is truth or falsehood. Not impossible, but difficult.
You are right,it's hard to sort it out but if a tv or Hollywood celebrity delivers the message that helps.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The problem with statistics is they are usually wrong. Bad data, often skewed to present the data in a bent that suits an agenda.
Crime rate, is that sheer numbers of crimes? Is it a rate of crimes based on a ratio of population? Only for arrests? Only for convictions? What is not considered a crime? What if the same criminal robs five people in one day?

I'd wager sheer numbers of one (or more) people doing an act that results in another persons loss has increased. That is my perception.

For arguments sake, a thousand people, say 0.1% commit a crime, that is one criminal. A million people, it is 1,000 crimes. The rate is the same but the number of crimes skyrockets.Imagine if all the crimes occurred in the same city block. One crime, well it has to happen someplace, but 1,000? In some places, this is literally the case.