is it worth trying to find a bucket for my 1990's B1550?

pshoemaker

Equipment
Kubota B1550 HST
May 16, 2022
Lovettsville, VA
I would really like to have a bucket but really don't want to spend the $$ on a whole new tractor. I have a 1995 or so B1550 that runs like a champ, is super reliable and plenty for my little 4 acre to-do list-rich property. As my body ages, it sure would be nice to exchange shovels and rakes for a bucket. From what I can gather, it'll be in the 3-4 thousand range to put a bucket on if I can even find one. Any advice on whether or not I should just bite the bullet or is it worth pursuing putting a bucket on this old girl?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You should be able to find a used bucket, but it would be best if you could find a machine locally for the bucket. If you take it off, you will know exactly how to put it back on. If something is minor and missing because you bought it after it was removed, then you have the task of finding that small part that might not be available any longer. I would pay more to be able to remove it myself than buying a pile of parts not knowing if they removed everything and if you take it off, you can bag and tag the bolts to go back where they belong vs. having a bucket of bolts not knowing where they go or if the one that you use is the correct one for that location.

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, B21, B1750, B2400, B7200
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
Loaders for old B tractors are hard to find. But I agree spending a few grand vs 25+ grand on a new one sounds much better. On the flip side even just a little newer than your 1550 such as the b1700 b2100 b7500 etc have far better loaders and a lot more capable than the 1550 with a loader. Just food for thought. 1550/1750 in my opinion was the best tractor made with the 50 series engine. Especially if you had power steering.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I don't know what works or what's available for your tractor, however you may want to consider something that has the ability to mount a skid steer quick attach, so you can easily use implements other than just a bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
...Any advice on whether or not I should just bite the bullet or is it worth pursuing putting a bucket on this old girl?
I'd looks for a similar vintage and size tractor with a loader already on it. Buy it, and sell yours. Chances are that could happen in months instead of years. The net cost would be about the same as your 'get lucky plan'. I'm pretty attached to my old B7100, but bought the B7510 with FEL. I'll probably sell the B7100 now.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
I would really like to have a bucket but really don't want to spend the $$ on a whole new tractor. I have a 1995 or so B1550 that runs like a champ, is super reliable and plenty for my little 4 acre to-do list-rich property. As my body ages, it sure would be nice to exchange shovels and rakes for a bucket. From what I can gather, it'll be in the 3-4 thousand range to put a bucket on if I can even find one. Any advice on whether or not I should just bite the bullet or is it worth pursuing putting a bucket on this old girl?
Here you go:

pshoemaker

Equipment
Kubota B1550 HST
May 16, 2022
Lovettsville, VA
thanks everyone -- after 4 months of hemming and hawing, talking to dealers, coming to the brink of financing a new one, I found a used Kubota 7500 for... well, $7,500 LOL. I brought it home last night, and drove it out to a dirt pile (one of many that have sat until I figure this out) and picked up a scoop and just dumped it right back out -- I am in love LOL

Reactions: 1 user

pshoemaker

Equipment
Kubota B1550 HST
May 16, 2022
Lovettsville, VA
Thanks for all the feedback, friends. I have hemmed and hawed and watched my heavy lifting projects pile up for about 6 months, and finally decided to sell the ol' 1550. Very happy to get $3,200 for it including a landpride scraper blade and old finish mower that I hardly ever used. After a coupe weeks of talking to dealers and coming to the precipice of pulling the trigger on a brand new massey furguson, I found a used Kubota 7500 with a LA302 loader that I talked the guy down to $7,500 to buy. I feel much better not going into debt and from all I could gather in my research, this will be plenty of capacity and power for my little 4 acres. I do think I may upgrade to a skid steer attachment at some point, but I am really looking forward to never using a shovel and wheelbarrow again!

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, B21, B1750, B2400, B7200
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
Thanks for all the feedback, friends. I have hemmed and hawed and watched my heavy lifting projects pile up for about 6 months, and finally decided to sell the ol' 1550. Very happy to get $3,200 for it including a landpride scraper blade and old finish mower that I hardly ever used. After a coupe weeks of talking to dealers and coming to the precipice of pulling the trigger on a brand new massey furguson, I found a used Kubota 7500 with a LA302 loader that I talked the guy down to $7,500 to buy. I feel much better not going into debt and from all I could gather in my research, this will be plenty of capacity and power for my little 4 acres. I do think I may upgrade to a skid steer attachment at some point, but I am really looking forward to never using a shovel and wheelbarrow again!
That's awesome. They are made better than the new tractors anyway. I have an ati quick hitch adapter on my la351 loader and love it. Definitely worth the investment.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I think you made a smart move with that machine for your acreage.
I have a B2320 and I have 5 acres and I think the machine is perfect for 99% of what I want to do.
It's close in size to what you have and use it as much as I can. I bought it for some yard work and grading my driveway and it has become my favorite machine for a lot of other projects.
Well done.
DSC00054.JPG

pshoemaker

Equipment
Kubota B1550 HST
May 16, 2022
Lovettsville, VA
I think you made a smart move with that machine for your acreage.
I have a B2320 and I have 5 acres and I think the machine is perfect for 99% of what I want to do.
It's close in size to what you have and use it as much as I can. I bought it for some yard work and grading my driveway and it has become my favorite machine for a lot of other projects.
Well done. View attachment 139716
thanks! I tooled around on it a little in my yard tonight and it seemed to run a little hot (not all the way to "H" but about 3/4's) -- it does not seem like it was coddled -- I think the first thing I'll do is check the screen, coolant and other stuff -- probably put it through all routine maintenence just to have a baseline starting point. As long as it's sound, I feel like it's just the right amount of machine for my needs -- so much better than going into debt for a new one!

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
My B7510 rad was filled with dust when I bought it from the PO. They used it for mowing, and didn't do a very good job keeping the rad clean...