New phone suggestions?

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Had my pixel 3a for 4 years this month. Last security update was over 2 years ago. It's time to look for a new one before this one craps out.

Want a simple phone with talk, text, and Wi-Fi hotspot.

Any hidden gems you recommend?

Thanks.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I use consumer cellular. They have some dirt cheap phones and plans.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been on straight talk for 12 years - wife 15 years - not exactly the newest cutting edge phones, but still some very nice ones. You being pixel - it might be a different setting with an apple based- but for 45 bucks a month you get everything you are asking for.

I am in need for a new phone and was looking into a pixel - I am not an apple fan but there are those who love them!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Apple and Android seem to be the leaders in the mobile phone industry. The one that you have originally seems the one that most people stick with, familiarity is the most important thing with a phone. From what I have seen, most people who switch operating systems seem to have difficulty adjusting to the new system. For that reason alone, I would stay with the one you are most familiar with, especially since you are looking for a basic phone system. My wife likes consumer cellular and her phone is the identical model that I have from Tracfone, however, they both have similarities but function differently. Her phone costs about $30-$35 a month and I pay about $220 per year for the same service. We are both on the Verizon network. It is like Chevrolet, Ford, and Plymouth, everyone had their favorite brands of cars back in the 1960s and the one that they like was the best out of the 3 different brands.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I was Android only for a long time. However, iPhone has much longer support. You don’t have to buy the newest model and the unlocked versions give you flexibility to change carriers at will.

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
If you love to use your phone for photos.
The Samsung S23 ultra or S24 now is the one. I have the S23 ultra. A great phone.
My girlfriend has the lastest Apple IPhone (the phone of choice by terrorist by the way, hence called the terrorist phone by me) has talk to text features ect. But the camera isn't as good as the S23 camera for zoom especially.
Samsung is lighting fast. To do whatever.
Also 5G when your out of the woods. I've tried other Google and Motorola phones.
And used them for a year or more. Never have I ever really liked them. Going back to Samsung was like embracing a old friend. I've missed you.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Verizon just switched me (from my previous Motorola Droid) to a Samsung S23 FE …. and I HATE it… because it changes settings and presents screens and offers services I repeatedly Decline.…only for it to make the same attempt a few days later.

It makes operational-changes in unpredictable ways….becoming a frustrating device rather than one of convenience. My wife has a different model Samsung…she likes it and has good skills operating it…and when I have difficulty with the new S23…. she attempted to show me how it is programmed…and become equally frustrated with it.

I do not buy a Phone to use it as a Camera…. (although that can be a convenient feature which I occasionally utilize)… but only last week I had an opportunity to take a very desirable photo…. and the damn Samsung had DELETED the Camarea-Icon from my home screen AND from the Widgets. By the time I could re-enable the camera-feature…the photo opportunity was long-gone.

🤬

I want my phone for 1-telephone calls, 2- text msgs, 3-checking my emails, 4-occasional photos, 5-alarm-clock/calendar…. in that order. I expect to control IT…. Not for IT to make configuration-changes in some ill-conceived marketing-effort to control ME. I’ve disabled most of it’s notification and app features to make it a basic phone device…but it still has software within it that Pops-Up suggestions I have to repeatedly decline. Verizon is of no help in this irritating software.

I’m computer-literate and can even program right-turn-holding-patterns in a Universal FMS…but this Samsung phone is a POS. (It does have great battery-life.)

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I use consumer cellular. They have some dirt cheap phones and plans.
T Mobile is getting there grips on it. Am on T Mobile for a couple years. So far so good.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've had bad luck on my last 2 samsungs with both dying just out of warranty. Switched to iPhone for now as it had the best camera at the time. Still prefer Android over iOS but iOS has better backup recovery. Newer iPhone is heavy, outdated and clunky in comparison to my old Galaxy S20 with the same size screen. I keep cracking my screen and camera protectors on the iPhone for some reason, probably due to the added bulk and weight.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I have the S23 fe, it seems good. I would keep a eye out for sales. That is how I got mine. That is also how I got a data plan, I rarely use data, but it is handy to have.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Current phone is an android Motorola moto g7 that #2 Son gave me because he no longer wanted it. Love it and for $15/month the Mint Mobile works for me.

Spent years with Apple and was totally happy with the iPhone7 till it broke. Did many hours of research on a replacement and went with Umidigi Bison Pro2. Horrible pics and too bulky, so now it's only used to monitor a camera.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I've had bad luck on my last 2 samsungs with both dying just out of warranty. Switched to iPhone for now as it had the best camera at the time. Still prefer Android over iOS but iOS has better backup recovery. Newer iPhone is heavy, outdated and clunky in comparison to my old Galaxy S20 with the same size screen. I keep cracking my screen and camera protectors on the iPhone for some reason, probably due to the added bulk and weight.
Do you have a glass screen protector? I have one on my iPhone. I have never cracked the screen, just the screen protector.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
from what I've seen, most people have ZERO clue as to HOW to 'program' their phone/smart devices.
Granddaughter went to nana's phone's settings and spent 20 minutes turning OFF various apps/autoupdates/other stuff. Also put Tractive on 1st page. NOW phone lasts days and is a LOT faster.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
We're on Consumer Cellular which uses the AT&T network. We have the AARP plan for $55/month. Includes 50 GB of high speed data.

Work issued me 3 Apple iPhones over the years. Two of them didn't make it through their warranty periods so I've actually had 5 iPhones. My daughter had 3 that didn't make it through warranty. No thanks!

My favorite phones were BlackBerry's (for work) and a Samsung Convoy 4 flip phone (my own phone).

I wish I could find a 4G equivalent to the Convoy 4 with a Wi-Fi hotspot.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
from what I've seen, most people have ZERO clue as to HOW to 'program' their phone/smart devices.
Granddaughter went to nana's phone's settings and spent 20 minutes turning OFF various apps/autoupdates/other stuff. Also put Tractive on 1st page. NOW phone lasts days and is a LOT faster.
Can I send my phone to your granddaughter? LOL

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Do you have a glass screen protector? I have one on my iPhone. I have never cracked the screen, just the screen protector.
FWIW, I had problems with camera lens and screen protection cracking. Turns out my Otterbox case was the problem. I shifted to a Spigen case and use Spigen lens and screen protectors. The Spigen case is designed for use with the protectors, Otterbox was not.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
FWIW, I had problems with camera lens and screen protection cracking. Turns out my Otterbox case was the problem. I shifted to a Spigen case and use Spigen lens and screen protectors. The Spigen case is designed for use with the protectors, Otterbox was not.
My otterbox works with my protector, but there are many different models of otterbox as there are spigen cases.