BL4690B backhoe

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
Hello! I have a L3400D with a BL4690B backhoe. Having the backhoe installed limits the use of my tractor. I would get much more use out of a brushhog and blade. However installing and removing the backhoe is a bear (if I remember right--that's why it hasn't been removed in 10 years or more!). Now that I am the sole owner of this tractor, I'm searching for an easier way to install and remove the backhoe. I probably use the backhoe once a year, if that. Is there an adaptor or some contraption that makes the removal and installation easy enough for one person to handle? I was looking for an 8N or other such tractor to use the other implements with, but I'd gladly spend a few hundred dollars to get more use out of the L3400, Lots better than having another motor to maintain. Thanks for your help! (I checked YouTube and there aren't any videos that show this model of backhoe)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I believe backhoe I have for my B-29 10 is a BL 4690 A.

Is yours a three-point hitch backhoe?

Granted, installation and removal is a bit of a pain, but you get better at it if you do it a few times a year. Can’t think of any tricks to make it easier…

You might want to be sure to remove it on a flat surface that is large enough for the tractor to also be sitting on the flat surface.

Reactions: 1 user

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
I believe backhoe I have for my B-29 10 is a BL 4690 A.

Is yours a three-point hitch backhoe?

Granted, installation and removal is a bit of a pain, but you get better at it if you do it a few times a year. Can’t think of any tricks to make it easier…

You might want to be sure to remove it on a flat surface that is large enough for the tractor to also be sitting on the flat surface.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not entirely sure if the backhoe is a three point hitch or the other (the name escapes me at the moment). I agree that doing something more frequently makes one more comfortable, but as a middle aged woman with few resources for help, I don't have anyone to bail me out if I screw up. I was hoping to find a video at least that shows best practices. I have the manual and it gives you the steps, but nothing like seeing it in action. If you ever run across a helpful video, I would appreciate it if you could send it my way! Thanks again!

Jay swyg

Equipment
L2350
Sep 15, 2024
Sc
Thanks for the tips. I'm not entirely sure if the backhoe is a three point hitch or the other (the name escapes me at the moment). I agree that doing something more frequently makes one more comfortable, but as a middle aged woman with few resources for help, I don't have anyone to bail me out if I screw up. I was hoping to find a video at least that shows best practices. I have the manual and it gives you the steps, but nothing like seeing it in action. If you ever run across a helpful video, I would appreciate it if you could send it my way! Thanks again!
Would you be interested in selling just the backhoe?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello! I have a L3400D with a BL4690B backhoe. Having the backhoe installed limits the use of my tractor. I would get much more use out of a brushhog and blade. However installing and removing the backhoe is a bear (if I remember right--that's why it hasn't been removed in 10 years or more!). Now that I am the sole owner of this tractor, I'm searching for an easier way to install and remove the backhoe. I probably use the backhoe once a year, if that. Is there an adaptor or some contraption that makes the removal and installation easy enough for one person to handle? I was looking for an 8N or other such tractor to use the other implements with, but I'd gladly spend a few hundred dollars to get more use out of the L3400, Lots better than having another motor to maintain. Thanks for your help! (I checked YouTube and there aren't any videos that show this model of backhoe)
All of the parts diagrams shows a 3pt mounted hoe with PTO pump.. Post a picture of your backhoe.

A 3pt hoe should not be terribly hard to mount/dismount. I think you will be far happier learning to do that than using an 8N for the other chores. I say that as a long time 8N owner.

Dan

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
All of the parts diagrams shows a 3pt mounted hoe with PTO pump.. Post a picture of your backhoe.

A 3pt hoe should not be terribly hard to mount/dismount. I think you will be far happier learning to do that than using an 8N for the other chores. I say that as a long time 8N owner.

Dan
This doesn't appear to be the 3 point backhoe. I agree that would be easier to take off and on.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Your backhoe might be too old for one of the new style mounts, but you can try calling the dealer to find out. I will say that it looks like you're missing the recommended top-link reinforcement bracket....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well sure, it goes on the three point hitch, but I believe there is a different model that is much easier to hookup. Here is a video to a BH77 that looks waaaaay easier than mine.
A BH77 is a sub frame attached design and will not fit your tractor. They are purpose built for use on specific makes and models and apparently Kubota never built anything equivalent for your tractor. You also have to remove the 3pt hitch lift arms and linkage to use them.

Your hoe is a universal fit implement designed to mount directly on a standard 3pt hitch. Not as rigid but waaaaay more versatile. And the 3pt lift arms and linkage do not have to be removed and reinstalled when switching between backhoe and other implements.

Dan

Last edited:

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
Your backhoe might be too old for one of the new style mounts, but you can try calling the dealer to find out. I will say that it looks like you're missing the recommended top-link reinforcement bracket....
Thank you, I think I will. Maybe even talk trade in?

JenJen

Equipment
Z725 mower
Aug 24, 2022
Ohio
A BH77 is a sub frame attached design and will not fit your tractor. They are purpose built for use on specific makes and models and apparently Kubota never built anything equivalent for your tractor. You also have to remove the 3pt hitch lift arms and linkage to use them.

Your hoe is a universal fit implement designed to mount directly on a standard 3pt hitch. Not as rigid but waaaaay more versatile. And the 3pt lift arms and linkage do not have to be removed and reinstalled when switching between backhoe and other implements.

Dan
Dan, thanks for that info. I'd love to see a video on how to remove/install this so I can use the tractor for pulling a brush hog. I use the loader a lot but use the back hoe maybe once a year. But it sure is nice to have when you need it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, thanks for that info. I'd love to see a video on how to remove/install this so I can use the tractor for pulling a brush hog. I use the loader a lot but use the back hoe maybe once a year. But it sure is nice to have when you need it.
I think YouTube is calling @Henro

Dan