L4310 electrical

Sodbusterjr

Equipment
L 4310
Mar 13, 2024
Texas
New Member here. New battery and I have to charge it every few days of use as tractor when running draws down battery. Alternator may be one problem as I have yet to see it generate more than about 12.6 volts when running at the battery terminals. But something else is drawing down battery quickly when running, even with the alternator disconnected. I removed the third fuse from the top (10amp) and draw down ceased. Doing so resulted in not being able to kill engine with ignition switch. Have not yet figured out what that circuit applies to. Could glow plugs be running at all times with engine going? Possible short or rodent damage? Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a whole mass of systems that are running on electric when the tractor is running.
Dash, the stop solenoid timer, all of the engine monitoring, OPC, and others.
Just a couple relays engaged will pull a battery down in a quick hurry if the charging system isn't working.
The likelihood of the glow plugs running all the time is very low.
And if they were they would have already burned out.

Sodbusterjr

Equipment
L 4310
Mar 13, 2024
Texas
There is a whole mass of systems that are running on electric when the tractor is running.
Dash, the stop solenoid timer, all of the engine monitoring, OPC, and others.
Just a couple relays engaged will pull a battery down in a quick hurry if the charging system isn't working.
The likelihood of the glow plugs running all the time is very low.
And if they were they would have already burned out.

Thanks for the information!