l2350

ljb

Equipment
l2350 , zd28
Feb 11, 2024
new wilmington,pa.
hey guys newbie my 2350 1600 hrs. running fine then died. acted ran out of fuel smuttered little white smoke wont start. tried all basic fuel,air opened lines fuel running afraid might be pump but how to check thanks in advanced

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
From your brief explanation it's hard to get a full read on what happened.
Did it die suddenly like you pulled the stop or did it just bog down then die?
It would be very very unlikely to be anything with the injection pump or even the injectors.

It could be the lift pump, but that easily checked.
Pull the line off the side of the injection pump, crank tractor and you should be getting pulses of fuel out of the line.

Pull the line off that feeds the lift pump good fuel flow there?

What was the fuel level when it happened?
Been treating your fuel?
Has it been run consistently?
Do you store fuel for a long time?

ljb

Equipment
l2350 , zd28
Feb 11, 2024
new wilmington,pa.
From your brief explanation it's hard to get a full read on what happened.
Did it die suddenly like you pulled the stop or did it just bog down then die?
It would be very very unlikely to be anything with the injection pump or even the injectors.

It could be the lift pump, but that easily checked.
Pull the line off the side of the injection pump, crank tractor and you should be getting pulses of fuel out of the line.

Pull the line off that feeds the lift pump good fuel flow there?

What was the fuel level when it happened?
Been treating your fuel?
Has it been run consistently?
Do you store fuel for a long time?
ran fine bogged down about forty feet just like running out of fuel puffed white smoke maybe a puff blue then died fuel good level about 3/8 tank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel contamination:
Water in fuel
Algae in fuel
Debri in fuel tank or lines or filter

Have you pulled the fuel filter and checked for water and condition of filter?

ljb

Equipment
l2350 , zd28
Feb 11, 2024
new wilmington,pa.
ran fine bogged down like out of fuel white smoke puffing ran about 40 feet 3/8 tank of fu
ran fine bogged down about forty feet just like running out of fuel puffed white smoke maybe a puff blue then died fuel good level about 3/8 tank
not yet new filter last year just couple hours on it but thats first place only thing done was crack open bleeder lines abit fuel coming out thanks so much but ran fine for 30-min but sat for a few months before hand

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Sounds suspiciously like contaminated fuel.

I'd drain the tank of remaining fuel, discard.

Inspect tank for any water residue or algae. If good, replace fuel filter.

Add new diesel, bleed the system at the two factory points (per manual).

Try to start (with fully charged battery). Bet it will run. (y)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The bleeding process is all 'Gravity feed'.....so pretty simple on the L2350.

Replace fuel filter. Loosen the 'bleeder' at the fuel filter housing and let fuel flow until no bubbles/air is present....tighten.

Bleed Fuel Sys01.jpg

Bleed Fuel Sys04.jpg

Follow the fuel line to the Pump and do the same thing there (loosen bleeder and let fuel flow until no bubbles/air, then tighten).

Bleed Fuel Sys02.jpg

Bleed Fuel Sys03.jpg

With battery fully charged: Run glow plugs for a period of time (depending on how cold 15-45 seconds) and then crank engine. Give it a little time to push fuel up to the injectors.

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Fuel issue or contamination. I must ask this question as I have found it at least eight times this year servicing tractors. Be sure it's not full of gas.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
gas = a fundamental state of matter such as air, including nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, water vapor…. etc.

gasoline = a flammable normally used as a fuel for spark-ignited engines…but which can destroy compression-ignited engines such as diesels. Sometimes spoken colloquially abbreviated as “gas”.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The bleeding process is all 'Gravity feed'.....so pretty simple on the L2350.

Replace fuel filter. Loosen the 'bleeder' at the fuel filter housing and let fuel flow until no bubbles/air is present....tighten.

View attachment 122240
View attachment 122241

Follow the fuel line to the Pump and do the same thing there (loosen bleeder and let fuel flow until no bubbles/air, then tighten).

View attachment 122243
View attachment 122244

With battery fully charged: Run glow plugs for a period of time (depending on how cold 15-45 seconds) and then crank engine. Give it a little time to push fuel up to the injectors.
Your pictures demonstrating the procedure are excellent.

Many who post pictures of a problem area of their machine post a close up (if a picture at all) and unless you're working on that model are not familiar enough to know what their showing. You have a distant picture showing the layout, then a close up of the actual process and wrench size deserve a "Best in Pictures" award !!!

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Revisiting this for Posterity's Sake.

We never heard back from the OP (not unusual for New Member posts), but I had the occasion myself just this morning to troubleshoot a 'loss of power' issue on my L2350DT. So will share that with you.

I was mowing pasture and the tractor started struggling. Engine didn't sound quite right. Then it progressively got worse until it died altogether.

It would start again, but run for only few seconds and then die. Fuel filter was new (maybe 10 hrs on it) yet this seemed very much to be a fuel issue.

There is no lift/transfer pump on a L2350....so logic dictates an obstruction or bad fuel. Tractor had been running fine just the day before. However I topped off the fuel tank at the end of the day and put the tractor up.

So....I pulled the fuel filter and emptied it. Full of watery looking diesel and some rust! I use a filter type funnel each time I fill the fuel tank and it is 'supposed' to catch water. Apparently NOT!

So for those having the same issue I would suggest first looking to see if you have fuel at the Injector Pump.

It is the farthest component from the fuel tank.....so just crack the bleeder screw there, back it off some and see if you have gravity fed fuel.

If so...then you probably don't have any obstructions (if fuel flow was good). At that point you can go directly to the fuel filter and inspect what comes out of that.

Bad diesel (like I got) will definitely shut you down, but is an easy fix on this tractor.

Drain tank, blow it out. New fuel, new fuel filter, bleed air from filter housing and injection pump, good to go.