Purchasing a 2018 350hr L4701 advice of buying used

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Hello, New to forum. I found a 2018 L4701 with 350 hours $28,500. Hydrostatic, third function including newer grapple. Seller says he purchased with 250 hours. He has never replaced the oil or filters in the 100 hours he owned it. says no leaks ever, fluid in rear tires. one front rubber boot is cracked and needs replace. I am going to go look at it this weekend. Any advice on what to look for? Should I take it to a dealer for inspection before purchasing? Talked to owner for considerable amount of time, he appears to be honest. Thanks for any advice

UPDATE: Well the 2 ft. of snow and ice are beginning to melt so I am back on the hunt for a L4701. Looking for any advice on this one I found. 2020 L4701 HST, 50 hours, LA765 loader and bucket, 3rd function, 72" LP grapple, 72" RCF2072 LP brush hog, LP box blade. All new attachments lightly used. R-4 tires not loaded. Seller is having 50 hr fluids changed before purchase. 34k asking price.

The 2018 Kubota L4701 $28,500 is still available. While waiting out the weather the L4701 I added in the update above came on the market. Any advice would be appreciated. For the extra attachments it seems the 2020 model is the better buy although anything made 2020 scares me. The grapple on the 2018 model appears to be a little small for the 4701. Again any advice is greatly appreciated, this is a major purchase for me.

Last edited:

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
If you buy it change all the oils and filters asap. Not sure if that price is good, they only had it for 100hrs? Why are they selling?

Reactions: 1 user

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Said the wife and father are intimidated by its size. Going to buy smaller tractor. L4701 too much for their needs. Closest dealer is an hour away from where tractor is located or would ask it taken there for inspection. I'm 4 hours from tractor location.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do you have anyone nearby who is mechanically inclined who could go with you to look at it? Two pairs of eyes often see different things.

For prices you just have to see what others are paying to compare. Here's a start. One is even in Woodburn, Iowa.

Third function and grapple can easily add 4-5K to the value.

If you purchase it, as mentioned, change fluid and filter immediately and use Kubota filters and hyd fluids. Engine oil c an be your choice as long as it's rated for diesel engines.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/for-sale/kubota/l4701/tractors/1100

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Hello, New to forum. I found a 2018 L4701 with 350 hours $28,500. Hydrostatic, third function including newer grapple. Seller says he purchased with 250 hours. He has never replaced the oil or filters in the 100 hours he owned it. says no leaks ever, fluid in rear tires. one front rubber boot is cracked and needs replace. I am going to go look at it this weekend. Any advice on what to look for? Should I take it to a dealer for inspection before purchasing? Talked to owner for considerable amount of time, he appears to be honest. Thanks for any advice.
I would say that is a good price. Try everything, loader, grapple, 3point, PTO. Run engine up to PTO speed or more (after warm up) & drive around. Pull a hydraulic quick connect loose, (always a little oil escapes) look at that oil. Is it clean. Smell burnt? Slightly amber is fine. Black or brown is not fine. Check engine oil level, hydraulic oil level, front axle level. Is there sign of grease on loader pivot pins?
Educate yourself on where to find these plugs & dip sticks, how tractor operates. How does the tractor look, dents scratches, dirty, faded paint? Good answers to these questions are all signs that the tractor has been cared for. Ask about receipts for maint. After 50 hr service & regular engine oil changes, the hydraulic oil & filters gets changed at 400 hours along with fuel filter. Last & in my opinion the biggest is checking the air filter, inner & outer. This is something that is often over looked. Is the outer filter dirty, inner filter should be clean, any sign of dirt getting by either filter? Talk with owner, do you get a good feeling. If all is ok, offer $27,000 & meet in the middle.
My 4701 is a 2018. I bought it in 2020 with 130hrs for $24,600. It had 3rd function & 1 rear remote plus cruise control. You’re getting a grapple making that a good deal.
Good luck! Post pics!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My only concern would be if the filters and engine oil have EVER been changed. Not changing them between 250 hr and 350 hr is no big deal. Not changing them between 0 hr and 350 hr is a flag. One way to tell (sort of) is the color. Are the hydro and oil filters gray or some other color? Factory filters are frame gray. If they have been changed and aren't Fram filters then it should be good to go. Just like anything else- check all the functions of the tractor and I don't see why not buy it.
Edit- Trapper said it better than I did.

Reactions: 1 users

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Thanks Guys for the replies so far, please keep them coming. Im going to ask for better pics of the filters. My neighbor is an experienced diesel guy so he will be with me when I go to look. I will make sure to put it through its paces before making a decision. I think the price is reasonable with grapple, also has cruise. Thanks again.

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Do you have anyone nearby who is mechanically inclined who could go with you to look at it? Two pairs of eyes often see different things.

For prices you just have to see what others are paying to compare. Here's a start. One is even in Woodburn, Iowa.

Third function and grapple can easily add 4-5K to the value.

If you purchase it, as mentioned, change fluid and filter immediately and use Kubota filters and hyd fluids. Engine oil c an be your choice as long as it's rated for diesel engines.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/for-sale/kubota/l4701/tractors/1100
Thanks D2, I did see the one in Iowa. No grapple or 3rd function. I think the one Im looking at is fair priced if it has no issues.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like good buying, and your description has a good feel to it. Not everyone selling a tractor is a scam merchant. Agree that a grapple sweetens the deal. If the tractor isn't being used hard then not having the filters done isn't end of the world. They'll stand up to an awful lot of abuse. And even if the loader hasn't been greased regularly, 350 hours isn't enough to wear anything out really. I'd be jumping on it, unless the inspection shows something not working as it should, or really clear signs of abuse.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd be a little wary of a 2nd owner on a low hour machine trying to dump his recent purchase.

Take a good look at the current owner's property and how they take care of their stuff and let that guide you. Ask them to produce some receipts.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
My only concern would be if the filters and engine oil have EVER been changed. Not changing them between 250 hr and 350 hr is no big deal. Not changing them between 0 hr and 350 hr is a flag. One way to tell (sort of) is the color. Are the hydro and oil filters gray or some other color? Factory filters are frame gray. If they have been changed and aren't Fram filters then it should be good to go. Just like anything else- check all the functions of the tractor and I don't see why not buy it.
Edit- Trapper said it better than I did.
Bingo.

Check to see if the hydraulic and HST filters are engine/HST color grey.

If so, do not consider buying it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I'd be a little wary of a 2nd owner on a low hour machine trying to dump his recent purchase.

Take a good look at the current owner's property and how they take care of their stuff and let that guide you. Ask them to produce some receipts.
I understand your point and agree with it. However paying attention to details often tells the real story.

I bought that hyd. limb saw at a bargain price and it was barely used. Even the mounting end was not scratched. What I discovered was a man bought it and had a L3200. He passed away and his wife sold all his equipment. The saw was attached to the tractor bucket so she sold it together. The man who bought it didn't want the saw, so sold it. It still looks new!!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks Guys for the replies so far, please keep them coming. Im going to ask for better pics of the filters. My neighbor is an experienced diesel guy so he will be with me when I go to look. I will make sure to put it through its paces before making a decision. I think the price is reasonable with grapple, also has cruise. Thanks again.
Is this the tractor you'd buy if you were buying new? Would you buy a grapple? We don't know your needs, but if this fits them, it looks like a reasonable deal. Not a steal, but reasonable.

How will you get it delivered?

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Is this the tractor you'd buy if you were buying new? Would you buy a grapple? We don't know your needs, but if this fits them, it looks like a reasonable deal. Not a steal, but reasonable.

How will you get it delivered?
Yes I plan to use the grapple extensively. I have about 40 acres of timber that I am improving. Lots of brush to remove and downed trees to stack. I will also use it to brush hog another 40 acres and move large round bales. L4701 is big enough to move the hay bales and run my 6 foot hog but is small enough to maneuver through my timber.

I am paying my neighbor to haul it home once if I pull the trigger.

I did request more close up pictures of the tractor including the oil filters. If they look original I will probably walk away.

New unit without grapple and 3rd function is just under 40K.
Thank you for your reply.

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Finally got some photos for you all to look at. Does the attached photo of 3rd function valve appear factory? Filters look original?? Thanks, this has become quite the project.

Attachments

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The price looks pretty good to me. That 0660 LP Grapple is an easy $3k over here (it’s kind of a lighter duty unit). The LP 3rd function looks like the same one I put on my machine. That’s another $1k. So now the tractor is $24.5k. If the grapple and 3rd function are of value to you (sounds like they are) $24.5k is a pretty good price based on the tractor house asking prices. If those items aren’t worth $4k to you, you might be able to get the price down a couple grand to be comparable to some of the lower tractor house prices and hours.

The two filters I can see on the right side of the machine (one engine, one HST) both look white, as opposed to machine grey, which means they have been changed. Myself, the HST wouldn’t bother me if it hadn’t been changed as long as the fluid was clean and full. If the engine oil filter had not been changed in 350 hours, I wouldn’t like that too much, if that were the case I’d use that point to negotiate the price down. But it doesn’t seem to be the case here. Unless I’m color blind again.

The screen for the radiator is damaged. It should have a nice aftermarket grill guard with a grapple on it. The grapple looks pretty low hour from the little wear on it.

I think you ought to go buy it. It won’t last long I wouldn’t think. Too bad you can’t take a trailer and drop it off at the Walmart (showing up with a trailer from 4 hours away means you’re planning on buying it) and then take it home when/if the money changes hands.

BTW you may know there is no tittle for a tractor. At best there a certificate of origin, but those don’t have the owners name on them. So buying a tractor is pretty much done on trust. Maybe he has a copy of the invoice from when the original owner bought it?

I’d say find out how the guy wants to be paid and be ready to do when you’re there if it’s the right machine. Write up a bill of sale including the tractor, engine, FEL and Grapple model and serial numbers, and the date you will pick it up. Include the purchase price, payment form, names, signatures, dates, and addresses and current hour meter reading. Show up with two hard copies with the appropriate blanks to be filled in. You fill it all in, make it painless for the seller, sign both, have him sign both and hand him one copy. Give yourself an extra week for pick up incase there’s a logistical or mechanical problem getting there with a trailer. I won’t travel with more than $10k cash, but some folks do. If you can pay him with a personal check, give him a week to cash it and confirm it clears and then come back and get the tractor (since it sounds like that’s how you’re going to have to do it anyhow). I just did that with a used pick-up in the same price range youin. Worked out just fine. The seller was a stand up guy, sounds like you think yours is too.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Looks like a nice clean tractor. The white filters indicate to me they are not originals which means service has been done. The number on the grapple indicates a Landpride, which is owned by Kubota.

I am not familiar with that 3rd function valve.

I noticed what appears to be a small break in the very low right side of the grill. Nothing major but shows you need to build a grill guard to keep everything in the grapple away.

Tom46

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Jan 4, 2024
Iowa
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I'm going to make the purchase.

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe those filters are the colour of replacement filters. Factory filters get painted with the engine - so they're engine colour.

I personally wouldn't worry about filters too much. It's good if services have been done, but even at 300 hours with no services ever done, I don't think it could break an L4701. They should be good for 4,000 hours or more, a late oil change won't be the difference.

That machine looks in sound condition. Not perfect, but not abused either.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Too bad you can’t take a trailer and drop it off at the Walmart (showing up with a trailer from 4 hours away means you’re planning on buying it) and then take it home when/if the money changes hands.
I don't worry too much about this.

If I go to look at something, I take what I need to take it home. If I decide not to buy it, no harm done. If I want to buy it I don't have to drive another 8 hours.

People believe what you say. Even if you have a trailer with you, if you say "that thing there I'm not happy with, not gonna buy it" then they believe you. Or if you say "no, that price is too high, not gonna buy it", they also believe you.