Hunting and game posts

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Coyote hunters weigh in!

Any thoughts, coyote or wolf?

Seems larger and longer legged than the usual coyotes I see on this trail camera. When I was down today checking this camera the tracks in the snow were about 6 or 7 hours old with temps just reaching 30 or 32 degrees. They struck me as large, even before seeing what was on the card.

Reactions: 1 user

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Coyote hunters weigh in!

Seems larger and longer legged than the usual coyotes I see on this trail camera. When I was down today checking this camera the tracks in the snow were about 6 or 7 hours old with temps just reaching 30 or 32 degrees. They struck me as large, even before seeing what was on the card.

It walks like a coyote.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Coyote hunters weigh in!

Do you have eastern or western coyotes in your area…IME, eastern are a bit bigger…and I think they are fairly common in Great Lakes areas….Are you far enough west to have both? To me that clip did not look small enough to be a western coyote. Is there possibility of coy dogs in your area? Some areas over my way have those…and they are larger than eastern coyote and smaller than a wolf. to me though in the pic it looked like a pretty decent sized canine of some sort. Hard to really say from a quick clip…whatever it is I’d make sure the chickens don’t get left out of the coop at night.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Do you have eastern or western coyotes in your area…IME, eastern are a bit bigger…and I think they are fairly common in Great Lakes areas….Are you far enough west to have both? To me that clip did not look small enough to be a western coyote. Is there possibility of coy dogs in your area? Some areas over my way have those…and they are larger than eastern coyote and smaller than a wolf. to me though in the pic it looked like a pretty decent sized canine of some sort. Hard to really say from a quick clip…whatever it is I’d make sure the chickens don’t get left out of the coop at night.
I believe that we have eastern coyotes , I am located in Central Wisconsin.
As you mentioned it is very hard to really tell in a quick night time game camera clip. However compared to other clips from this same camera my impression is that this one is quite a bit taller and longer. My other impression is that the snout is a bit blockier than known clips of yotes from this same camera. Believe me, I am not advocating for this to be a wolf! lol.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's alone and has the walk and gate for a young Timberwolf.
It has the right confirmation for a Timberwolf.
It has all the right markings too.

I stare at Timberwolves everyday, so my money is on a wolf.
Did you manage to get a picture of it's tracks?

FYI: I would rather have wolves around that coyotes!
If it was a lone wolf, you'll probably never see it again.

Timber wolf
1701303434631.png

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It's alone and has the walk and gate for a young Timberwolf.
It has the right confirmation for a Timberwolf.
It has all the right markings too.

I stare at Timberwolves everyday, so my money is on a wolf.

FYI: I would rather have wolves around that coyotes!

View attachment 117081

I wish I would have! I was a bit pressed for time this afternoon.

I tried my best at editing the video, lightening up the shadows etc and zooming in.

I can say that the two distinct tracks that you can see it leave in the snow , in my eye , is larger than the normal coyote tracks that I see around the pond edges. But that could be the fluffy nature of this snow and the cold temps.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I wish I would have! I was a bit pressed for time this afternoon.
Do you remember if the prints were big, like almost the size of your hand big?
Wolves have webs and spread their toes in the snow, which makes for big prints, where coyotes tend to stay small and sharp.
My little girl puts down female person size hand size foot prints.
Where my big boy puts down prints as big as my hand.
Wolves also tend to only put down 2 foot prints when they walk, there back feet hit the same spot as their front.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Coyote hunters weigh in!

Yup, yote.

Few years ago, killed a couple yotes, damn near looked like they had some German Shepard mix in them, because of the coat and larger size. Will try and locate pictures.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure this should be hunting post, what’s cooking, or awesome dogs…but i thought it best to go here. There were a couple action shots of floor cleaning but I thought that might be close to the line / rules of the post.

I was truly moved they were so concerned for our safety that they stared like statues at the stainless noise box to make sure we did not get hurt…they are awesome dogs…and excel at cleaning floor/offall. 😉

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Ken, that is a wolf.

I'm mostly hunting with thermal and I don't bother (most of the time) looking for the coyotes after I shoot them.

My latest hunting video.

Nice, I'm looking at thermals now... I'm afraid to ask, but what scope your using?

I'm in the brush county, 200 yds would be my longest shot.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I feel like the PT is a great middle ground thermal, I was searching this past week for a deal, no cigar. Probably just gonna pull the trigger on one soon.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for all that weighed in on "wolf or coyote" !

I thought I would give a bit more context. These two critters were taken from the same camera, same location standing in about the same spot. Actually videos but screen shot. The smaller on the 13th of Nov, the larger on the 29th.

I added a horizontal blue line at the the high spot of the rear haunch.

IMG_8934.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 6.29.47 AM.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users