Synthetic Oil

atobuk1987

Equipment
Kubota F2000 with RC60-F20 mower
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
What do you think about using synthetic oil instead of regular oil? My tractor is an F2000 3cyl. Diesel.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
What do you think about using synthetic oil instead of regular oil? My tractor is an F2000 3cyl. Diesel.
I think (would even say know) synthetic oil is a superior lubricant in every regard except cost.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I use M1 in everything, sooo yeah go for it

Reactions: 1 users

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
I use M1 in everything, sooo yeah go for it
The manual specs for engine oil are pretty simple; 10W-30 would work at all temperatures.
Do I still need to use the Kubota filter or should I use another.....I use synthetic oil in my P/U and a filter for synthetic oil.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The manual specs for engine oil are pretty simple; 10W-30 would work at all temperatures.
Do I still need to use the Kubota filter or should I use another.....I use synthetic oil in my P/U and a filter for synthetic oil.
Regardless of viscosity grade you want a diesel engine oil - API Service Category CK4.

You dont need special filters for synthetic oil.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well - this debate has been around for 30+ years.

ALL oils today are a hellva lot better than they were 30 years ago - wayyyyyyyyy better!

All that science does have a good effect on metal to metal contact.

Now to put it in a nut shell - the synthetic was WAY expensive when it came out, like twice as much or more and the naysayers said this is all hype and it was over priced snake oil.

Then test after test was done, and bullya - the stuff does something that dyno oil CANNOT do, it protects longer - period.

The ol saying was - it will leak, it will cause this and that............ all that has been disproved over and over!
(now the only truth in the leaking of old seals is simply the size of the oil molecules is smaller - so it could leak via worn seals)

Most if not all NEW cars come factory with synthetic - why? Because, what for it ........... it is BETTER!!!!

But - there will be people still that feel it is a waste of money, because they know full well that you should change your OIL at 3,000 in your car or it will burn up in a blaze of friction.

There are people who think that the earth is flat and we never landed on the moon too - to those people, by all means continue to use any oil you wish!!!

I use synthetic in 99% of everything I own - from boats to cars to trucks to kubotas!

One thing to consider - use the CORRECT type of oil FOR the given engine and the CORRECT viscosity too.

Reactions: 2 users

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada

ALL oils today are a hellva lot better than they were 30 years ago - wayyyyyyyyy better!

Now to put it in a nut shell - the synthetic was WAY expensive when it came out, like twice as much or more and the naysayers said this is all hype and it was over priced snake oil.

Then test after test was done, and bullya - the stuff does something that dyno oil CANNOT do, it protects longer - period.

The ol saying was - it will leak, it will cause this and that............ all that has been disproved over and over!
(now the only truth in the leaking of old seals is simply the size of the oil molecules is smaller - so it could leak via worn seals)

Most if not all NEW cars come factory with synthetic - why? Because, what for it ........... it is BETTER!!!!

But - there will be people still that feel it is a waste of money, because they know full well that you should change your OIL at 3,000 in your car or it will burn up in a blaze of friction.

There are people who think that the earth is flat and we never landed on the moon too - to those people, by all means continue to use any oil you wish!!!

I use synthetic in 99% of everything I own - from boats to cars to trucks to kubotas!

One thing to consider - use the CORRECT type of oil FOR the given engine and the CORRECT viscosity too.
Would you not need a filter specific for synthetic oil because it is finer to be able to properly clean the oil?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Most all filters will work just fine - but then again, there are those that are "better" than others.

At a certain micron level, one filter can be better than another - but there is a lot to the filter elements and bypass too.

Kubota DOES NOT make there own filters - but their specs must be matched by the company that makes them. Many use only Kubota hydraulic filters.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Would you not need a filter specific for synthetic oil because it is finer to be able to properly clean the oil?
No. The only filyet issue using synthetic oil is service life. A premium filter is capable of handling extended drain intervals. That is primarily a function of total surface area in the filter. Just avoid the cheapo filters that skimp on filter material or change the filter between oil changes.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Synthetic oil is like extra-octane fuel…. Starbucks coffee…..and Martha Stewart…. It will do the same job for more money.

Change the oil every 5K miles if you use conventional.

Change the oil every 10K if you use synthetic…. Tell Everyone They should use synthetic… Yell it’s name, …throw some money away.…… and convince yourself ”That’s a good thing.”

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Change the oil every 10K if you use synthetic…. Tell Everyone They should use synthetic… Yell it’s name, …throw some money away.…… and convince yourself ”That’s a good thing.”
Been proven time and again on some engines (many newer ones actually) this is a path to oil consumption no matter how good of an oil you use. 5k miles. I know on my Rav4 hybrid Toyota says 10k but it gets 5k. The 10k thing is like the "lifetime" transmission fluid so many companies tout. BS it gets changed. On our Highlander (regular gas engine on that), oil is done every 5k like clockwork, trans fluid is sucked out and replaced every 25-30k and only Toyota WS fluid is used

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Synthetic oil is like extra-octane fuel…. Starbucks coffee…..and Martha Stewart…. It will do the same job for more money.

Change the oil every 5K miles if you use conventional.

Baloney.

Simple Falex bench testing demonstrates Group III base oils do better than Group II base oils in wear protection. Similarly Group IV (PAO) base oils do better than Group III.

in a nutshell base oils at the top of the food chain (Group IV and V synthetics) provide better wear protection than the less refined products (Group III and II) lower in the chain. The commonly quoted difference is about 5-7 times less wear top to bottom.

Thats not hype its empirically demonstrated fact.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Regardless of viscosity grade you want a diesel engine oil - API Service Category CK4.

You dont need special filters for synthetic oil.

Dan
not always true. Some filters are marked "Not For Synthetic Oil" Didn't know this myself until yesterday when talking to a friend that is a manager at an auto parts store.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I resisted for years, but have transitioned nearly 100% to full synthetic. Old Minneapolis Moline is one of the last with conventional oil.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Well, 85 Hokie you cleared up at least a half dozen conspiracy theories in that response!! ;)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Was told that it was the filtering material is not as fine for conventional oils and that certain filters will not remove the contaminates that are present in synthetic oil from the combustion process.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Was told that it was the filtering material is not as fine for conventional oils and that certain filters will not remove the contaminates that are present in synthetic oil from the combustion process.
Why are particulates finer in synthetic oil? That's total BS.

More likely the filter maker knows the filter media does not have enough surface area to handle the extended drain interval associated with synthetics and will fill up and clog before the next oil change.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Exactly Dan and you definitely don't want a filter going into bypass mode sending unfiltered oil directly to the mains and other sensitive engine parts.

If I were going to push the drain interval using synthetic, I would continue to use the OEM or a well known branded equivalent and change the filter at the standard interval so that you might end up with two filter changes for a single oil change.

But I wouldn't buy synthetic oil for getting a longer change interval. My cars all get synthetic oil like they came with and my diesel pickup and diesel generator get synthetic 5W40 for easier cold weather starts compared to 15W40. At some point my Deere 955 and Kubota F2690 may transition to synthetic but neither gets high hours or abusive treatment and I suspect that using high quality conventional oil in them with regular changes will result in tractors where the engine will still be going strong long after the rest of the tractor is no longer economically feasible to keep operational.

Rodger