Mower Gearbox service

atobuk1987

Equipment
Kubota F2000 with RC60-F20 mower
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
How do I check the oil level in the gearbox of my F2000 Kubota's RC60-F20 Kubota mower, and, what kind of oil does it need?

Last edited:

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Not familiar with your machine but most gear boxes have a small pipe plug in the top for filling and a similar plug in the side. If the side plug is removed and oil starts to come out you have enough oil in it. otherwise fill until it starts to come out. Most gear boxes use 80w90 gear oil. The fact that you are checking it is a good thing since these are frequently overlooked until it is too late.

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
You have two vertical plugs on the side opposite the PTO shaft entry, the lower is the drain plug and the top is the fill/check plug.

If you don't know how it was maintained in the past, I would remove the lower plug and drain then replace it and fill through the top port until it is level with the bottom of the fill/check port.

Kubota specifies SAE 90 gear oil for my new RCK72R-F36 deck but it should be the same for your model.

Rodger

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
Thank you both.
It was dealer serviced in the past. I am trying to do some of the more basic things now.
The gearbox has a circular rubber cover in the middle on top--how do you remove it. I think that is how you add oil to it. I have some SAE80/90.

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
You are welcome.
That top rubber cover is over the upper support bearing structure, there is NO place to add the gear lube there. It has to go in through the upper vertical plug.

The store where you buy the SAE 90 gear oil will likely also sell tubing that will fit over the top of the bottle that will make it easier to get the lube into the gear case. There are a number of different tools designed for pumping heavy lube into gear cases and differentials but in this case you are only adding a minute amount of gear oil and there is good working room so a simple piece of tubing force fit over the nipple on the oil bottle is all that you need.

Rodger

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Thank you both.
It was dealer serviced in the past. I am trying to do some of the more basic things now.
The gearbox has a circular rubber cover in the middle on top--how do you remove it. I think that is how you add oil to it. I have some SAE80/90.
That rubber-coated cover is removed by getting a small flathead screw driver underneth it and prying it up. Depending on how long it's been on there, it may be impossible to remove it without destroying it. You can fill it through there once the cap is removed.

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
You could pour oil thorough the top bearing but I think you will find it much easier to fill through the check port without removing anything but that one bolt and without the likelihood of damaging something else.

This is the parts diagram courtesy of Messick's website:
1687903453502.png

Rodger

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
You are welcome.
That top rubber cover is over the upper support bearing structure, there is NO place to add the gear lube there. It has to go in through the upper vertical plug.

The store where you buy the SAE 90 gear oil will likely also sell tubing that will fit over the top of the bottle that will make it easier to get the lube into the gear case. There are a number of different tools designed for pumping heavy lube into gear cases and differentials but in this case you are only adding a minute amount of gear oil and there is good working room so a simple piece of tubing force fit over the nipple on the oil bottle is all that you need.

Rodger
Thank you, Rodger. I will do this.

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
That rubber-coated cover is removed by getting a small flathead screw driver underneth it and prying it up. Depending on how long it's been on there, it may be impossible to remove it without destroying it. You can fill it through there once the cap is removed.
Thank you!

atobuk1987

Equipment
Jun 27, 2023
Canada
I did replace the hydraulic oil; it was grey. I had to catch it using a plastic bag because there was so little space below the opening. I took the advice given and filled it through the top plug instead of worrying off the top rubber cover.

I also replaced the oil in the hydrostatic and hydraulic system as well as the rear axle differential and the rear axle gear case. The oil in all was quite clean except for the rear axle gear case which was black. I wonder whether it had ever been changed. Changed the engine oil as well and cleaned the air filter. The manual was pretty easy to follow.

Next, I am trying to clear out solidified grease. I removed the grease nipple and cleaned it out. I am going to apply some serious heat tomorrow and hope that that will loosen things up so that I can force out the old grease with some new grease.

Thanks all for taking an interest and helping me.

Last edited: