bucket level rod

gunnersguru

Equipment
L4701
Aug 12, 2021
SEMO
so i have a new (12hr) l4701 and putting the rod on , i put it on as per the directions , raised the bucket and it fell off. am i missing something?

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
A bolt or two maybe.. sorry, my first thought! I can't help since I don't have one but the good folks on here will chime in with help. Welcome to the forum!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
B15F11F2-80BC-45B2-985B-EFCBAA5904F4.jpeg

This is a little fuzzy because it’s zoomed in, but for the factory level rod on the LA765 loader the only thing I know of that would potentially impact the bucket attachment is the pin in the photo. You remove the regular pin (short) and replace with the longer pin in the photo which has the connector to attach the pipe part of the level rod assembly on the bucket end. Kind of hard to imagine you took out the short pin and just left the curl cylinder swinging in the wind. Even if you did, can’t imagine that causing the bucket to completely fall off.

Of course if you forgot to lock the SSQA levers that would do it. (Yes, I have done that myself.)

Of course if you’re dealing with a non-OEM level rod, I have no clue.

gunnersguru

Equipment
L4701
Aug 12, 2021
SEMO
i got it fixed , the upper pin and bracket were clocked wrong , there are two locking pin holes so it could go in 4 different spots.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. I was thinking the bucket fell off. I should have sent a pic of the top connection as well. Glad you got it fixed.

Reactions: 1 users

DianneInVa

Equipment
B3301 front loader; backhoe;
Jul 31, 2013
Fosston , MN
View attachment 65838
This is a little fuzzy because it’s zoomed in, but for the factory level rod on the LA765 loader the only thing I know of that would potentially impact the bucket attachment is the pin in the photo. You remove the regular pin (short) and replace with the longer pin in the photo which has the connector to attach the pipe part of the level rod assembly on the bucket end. Kind of hard to imagine you took out the short pin and just left the curl cylinder swinging in the wind. Even if you did, can’t imagine that causing the bucket to completely fall off.

Of course if you forgot to lock the SSQA levers that would do it. (Yes, I have done that myself.)

Of course if you’re dealing with a non-OEM level rod, I have no clue.
Hi. I was following this thread because that’s apparently what I did. One of the SSQA levers wasn’t completely down when I was hauling a bale of hay. The bales feel loose on that side. I jumped out and fixed it. That was a couple of days ago no problem. But today the high the bucket level rod fell off. I’ll go take a look at it again, but how did the two, am I missing something how did the lever interact with the rod. But thank you for this answer in advance.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hi. I was following this thread because that’s apparently what I did. One of the SSQA levers wasn’t completely down when I was hauling a bale of hay. The bales feel loose on that side. I jumped out and fixed it. That was a couple of days ago no problem. But today the high the bucket level rod fell off. I’ll go take a look at it again, but how did the two, am I missing something how did the lever interact with the rod. But thank you for this answer in advance.
Seriously doubt the two are related. Don’t know if your bucket level indicator is same style as mine or not. If no, the rest of this may be irrelevant.

The upper part of the OEM level rod on mine looks like this:
IMG_0769.jpeg

The little keeper bolt circled on the left side of the picture keeps the pin from rotating so the plate on the other end of the pin stays in the same position relative to the boom. As best I recall, it is possible to install such that the plate the rod slides through is oriented to some position other than shown, but it should be installed as shown.

The set screw circled on the right holds the chrome rod in place relative to the tube it rides in as it slides back and forth through the hole in the plate.

If the pin for the upper end of the curl cylinder is in place, the keeper bolt is in place, and the set screw is tight the upper end shouldn’t fall apart.

Again, if you have a different style indicator all that may be irrelevant.

DianneInVa

Equipment
Jul 31, 2013
Fosston , MN
Seriously doubt the two are related. Don’t know if your bucket level indicator is same style as mine or not. If no, the rest of this may be irrelevant.

The upper part of the OEM level rod on mine looks like this:
View attachment 102295
The little keeper bolt circled on the left side of the picture keeps the pin from rotating so the plate on the other end of the pin stays in the same position relative to the boom. As best I recall, it is possible to install such that the plate the rod slides through is oriented to some position other than shown, but it should be installed as shown.

The set screw circled on the right holds the chrome rod in place relative to the tube it rides in as it slides back and forth through the hole in the plate.

If the pin for the upper end of the curl cylinder is in place, the keeper bolt is in place, and the set screw is tight the upper end shouldn’t fall apart.

Again, if you have a different style indicator all that may be irrelevant.

DianneInVa

Equipment
Jul 31, 2013
Fosston , MN
Thank you. I don’t see how they can be related either. It’s an LX 2610 with almost 50 hours on it. The dealer will be out here on Monday. I’m going to keep using it, I don’t think affects anything in terms of performance or safety. I’ve had some weird issues over the years, but this literally just “fell off.” I’m holding it next to the connection point just for illustrative purposes. Interesting thread.

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thank you. I don’t see how they can be related either. It’s an LX 2610 with almost 50 hours on it. The dealer will be out here on Monday. I’m going to keep using it, I don’t think affects anything in terms of performance or safety. I’ve had some weird issues over the years, but this literally just “fell off.” I’m holding it next to the connection point just for illustrative purposes. Interesting thread.
Your level indicator is a bit different from mine. Looks to be same general principle.

In your last pic…
IMG_0770.jpeg

It looks like the level indicator fits on the greasy little pin. Where the two blue lines come together it looks like there’s a groove. If there is, I strongly suspect there was a retaining ring in that groove which kept the level indicator on the pin. Something like one of these:

IMG_0772.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg

Most likely the retaining clip got knocked off somehow.

Since dealer is coming out anyway, might just leave it to them. Otherwise, I would check for a groove in the pin. If there is one, get an E clip or circlip and put it back together.

Edit: BTW, all the pins on the cylinder ends have some sort of retainer to keep them from working their way out. Can’t see the outside of the pin the level indicator fits on so don’t know if losing the level indicator retainer allows the pin to work it’s way out toward the outside or not. If it doesn’t, swell. If it does, probably need to keep a watch on that pin to make sure it stays in place until it’s fixed.

Last edited: