RPMs up and down

KS23

Equipment
B2601, RB1672, LA435
Oct 15, 2022
Wyoming
It is 1 degree right now, I started my B2601, and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes (no block heater) then when I began to blade our drive. Within the first 10 feet it began to drop in rpm, so I stopped, increased the throttle a bit and began again, the rpm's just keep revving up and dropping down, even when at a stand still. I was barely able to get it out of the drive and back out of the way. We do use a diesel additive to avoid gelling. Not sure why it is revving and dropping rpms. But I cannot blade my drive with it like this...any help is appreciated.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I agree, fuel gelling problem. Also, consider a block heater for the future and a custom blanket to insulate the engine from the cold. Your tractor just like you don't want to be out in the cold without some protection from the wind chill. Get some Power Service Diesel 911 and put it into your fuel tank and run the tractor at a high idle until you get it through the entire system, otherwise, your tractor is going to freeze up and not want to start at all.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Your description of the issue is a classic one for fuel gelling. Try using Power Service in the white bottle. One ounce for every three gallons of diesel works for me all the way down to -20F.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Your tractor just like you don't want to be out in the cold without some protection from the wind chill.

Wind chill is a measure of perceived temperature on exposed human skin. It has nothing to do with inanimate objects.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Wind chill is a measure of perceived temperature on exposed human skin. It has nothing to do with inanimate objects.
I was referring to the "other" wind chill, you know the type of cold that chills you to the bone, not the "wind chill" that the weatherman refers to in the weather report. Time to chill out. :)

KS23

Equipment
B2601, RB1672, LA435
Oct 15, 2022
Wyoming
Ok, op here. I started it again and let it run for 30 minutes. And problem was solved. I did want to point out that it does have the preventative in the fuel to avoid gelling. Also thank you to those that responded.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ok, op here. I started it again and let it run for 30 minutes. And problem was solved. I did want to point out that it does have the preventative in the fuel to avoid gelling. Also thank you to those that responded.
You might be using it, but not in sufficient quantities to prevent the gelling of the fuel. When I dose my tractor, I overdo it because the cost of the preventative is a lot less than the aggravation of not being able to use my tractor when I need to push snow. Last fall I bought a case of Power Service from Amazon inexpensively.
I drove diesel cars for decades, and in the old days gelling was a big problem and there were no treatments like we have today. Back then I had a steel tube device that you put into the heater hose line and it was wrapped with a steel tubing spirally wound around it. Once the engine was warm, the heat from the engine would warm the fuel before it made it to the injection pump. Worked quite well unless the fuel in the tank had gelled to the point that it wouldn't flow.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Maybe the treated fuel was in the tank and hadn't reached the pump and injectors?

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
For the treatment to work well, it has to be added and the fuel well mixed LONG before it is cold enough to begin dropping out paraffin. And Power Service should be stored where it is fairly warm because before it is mixed with diesel, it can gel in cold weather.

And if you have diesel that has a very high amount of soy, then you will need a far heavier dose of anti-gel because soy creates issues at a much higher temperature and it doesn't respond to anti-gel treatment as well as pure petroleum diesel.

My diesel generator has a metal cased fuel filter much like an oil filter and it has a 120 VAC heater wrap around it that comes on when the generator is running; probably not necessary since the genset is in a barn that keeps it a bit warmer but I am taking no chances when I really need the generator in cold weather.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I routinely 'overdose' my diesels with fuel treatment(s) since it states on the container label that there's no downside to larger added quantities. I believe it's necessary to get the treated fuel introduced to the entire fuel system to ensure adequate protection.

As far as warm-up idling, I would suggest trying to slightly increase engine speed at some reasonable point after startup to assist with engine warm-up. It would also be a good idea to 'warm up' the hydraulics through a pre-operation actuation ritual; this process may speed up the overall readiness of the entire tractor.

One thing I have learned this winter (first with a tractor) is that my B2601 doesn't like to be outside in cold weather! :oops:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
For the treatment to work well, it has to be added and the fuel well mixed LONG before it is cold enough to begin dropping out paraffin. And Power Service should be stored where it is fairly warm because before it is mixed with diesel, it can gel in cold weather.

And if you have diesel that has a very high amount of soy, then you will need a far heavier dose of anti-gel because soy creates issues at a much higher temperature and it doesn't respond to anti-gel treatment as well as pure petroleum diesel.

My diesel generator has a metal cased fuel filter much like an oil filter and it has a 120 VAC heater wrap around it that comes on when the generator is running; probably not necessary since the genset is in a barn that keeps it a bit warmer but I am taking no chances when I really need the generator in cold weather.

Rodger
Yesterday I opened the case of Power Service (white) and it has been in a very cold garage for months. I filled the generator at 28* and poured in some Power Service. the Power Service showed no sign of gelling. For the Power Service to gell, it would need to have paraffin in it and there would be no logical reason for the manufacturer to produce a product that counters the effect of paraffin in their product.

Now, for diesel having a large quantity of "soy" in it, I can't comment, since I have never experienced soy in any diesel that I have purchased. If you are referring to biodiesel or renewable diesel those are entirely different products, and yes they are commonly derived from soybean oil.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I strongly disagree, some book learned expert may say on the internet windchill def'n may not impact inanimate objects but real world where I live windchill has huge effect.

Starting my tractor yesterday at -30 that was stored in the unheated machine shed so no windchill (no wind) was easy with about 2 hours of standard block heater being plugged in.

If outside where it was very windy I would have had to leave it plugged in all night PLUS tarped with a construction heater blowing for maybe 6 hours.

So my tractor is inanimate AND my tractor sure does care about windchill as the wind strips to heat away quicker than it can be added unless more is used and protection added.

Not a perceived difference but a real difference. Maybe some internet definition says no effect on actual temp. but inanimate objects like my tractor sure care a lot (as well as the tip of my nose and finger tips)

Cheers and merry Christmas
1671903025153.png

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I strongly disagree, some book learned expert

Oh, you mean someone who actually understands the definition of wind chill?

may say on the internet windchill def'n may not impact inanimate objects but real world where I live windchill has huge effect.
What you are describing is not "wind chill". It's a matter of transfer of heat, which is a very different matter. It's well understood by those "book learned experts".

Using the term, "wind chill", to describe something that is NOT "wind chill", is a error, not a superior understanding gained through personal experience.

" Wind Chill is a term used to describe what the air temperature feels like to the human skin due to the combination of cold temperatures and winds blowing on exposed skin. "

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Oh, you mean someone who actually understands the definition of wind chill?

What you are describing is not "wind chill". It's a matter of transfer of heat, which is a very different matter. It's well understood by those "book learned experts".

Using the term, "wind chill", to describe something that is NOT "wind chill", is a error, not a superior understanding gained through personal experience.

" Wind Chill is a term used to describe what the air temperature feels like to the human skin due to the combination of cold temperatures and winds blowing on exposed skin. "
Wind chill has been described as watts/sq meter here in CA, which tells me that the ability of moving air vs still air to remove heat from inaminate objects at a temperature greater than the air in its path is what "wind chill" means.
Then CA meteorogogists changed to a "feels like" wind chill scale from W/M², saying "feels like" more accurate.
Go figure.
A tractor out in a cold wind will cool faster, and warm slower than in a still space at same temperature.
I'd call that wind chill.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Wind chill has been described as watts/sq meter here in CA,

By whom? I quoted the source. It's not open to argument any more than the definition of east or west.

That there is widespread ignorance on the subject is certainly true, but that doesn't change the definition.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
By whom? I quoted the source. It's not open to argument any more than the definition of east or west.

That there is widespread ignorance on the subject is certainly true, but that doesn't change the definition.
Ok, from Windchill is not a temperature! which I found because I'm a prairie guy and easily remember the watts per square meter windchill values being used.
That has changed obv, but as far as open to arguement your comment kind of irked me.

"Before 2001, the Prairies used a windchill index that was given in watts/sq metre (e.g 1800 W/m2) This was a more scientifically valid measure of what windchill actually was.. a rate of cooling, expressed in the amount of energy loss in watts per square metre of area. However in 2001, the windchill was re-calculated and standardized for all of North America to the windchill index we use today, which was mainly based on the more common "equivalent temperature" index being used in Southern Ontario and the United States. A survey conducted at that time showed that most people found the watts/sq metre unit "too technical" a term to fully understand."

Just because you quote "a source" does not make it the whole truth or complete the picture.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I quoted the source of the term, you quoted a random blogger.

And that random blogger never says that applies to anything but humans. That is the context of his discussion.

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I will preface this by saying I am probably a bit older than most, have little to no new book learning, and I live in the real world. What I speak of is only from learned experience.

When its -40 outside, a sharp / clear blue sky day with no wind, I love spending it in my woodlot. It’s my personal slice of heaven. I feel good!!! . Most of my tractors run well, my wood processor runs well (except the odd occasion the hydro infeed freezes up), the logging winch pulls as it should, my dog spends the day next to the fire off the ground, but being totally honest my chainsaws hate it except the newer electronic ones.

Now throw in a stiff wind and nothing is happy. My hands and feet get cold, only my L Kubota seems to operate well, the wood processor screams at me to stop putting wood through it, and my chainsaw often won’t let me close the snapped filler caps. My dog sucks up to the wife and spends the day sleeping in the big bed.

When it’s cold and windy out there it’s just too chilly for my stuff to work well. My body, my equipment, my dog all hate the chilly wind.

This is just my real world experience. Wind chill affects me and my equipment making my little slice of heaven something much different. A good time to spend at the coffee shop listening to the grain farmers planning arguing about their spring strategies.
1672416682422.png

Happy New Year All!!

1672417224138.png

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I had this happen the other day. It was only about 25 above but with a wind chill I shut off the tractor and in 10 minutes it would not start again. Usually, it is double that time or more and it will start