Mowing Grass - Help With My Next Mower, Please

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You could pull an offset pull behind mower like a Swisher beside your tractor to widen the path. They have their own engine and would be easy to disconnect/connect.

Zero turns are definitely not for hills since the front wheels swivel, right? I’m not saying you can’t, but I’ve read a few tales that makes it sound like it isn’t fun. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I wanted the diesel also but couldn't justify the cost - ended up with the Z231KH-48. Wife never mowed with our Deere ZT, she absolutely loves the new one and I haven't been on it yet. We're only mowing a little over an acre.

IMG_1245 2.jpg

Lakebuster

Equipment
GrandL5040, RTV1100, ZTR331, B2601
Jul 1, 2021
SW Louisiana
Well it keeps saying my file is too large to attach photo. For 11 acres of yard I use a ZD311 with a 72" cut and the wife uses the B2601 with 60" mmm. With both machines going it is a 3 hour job. We also have a 5 acre horse pasture, if I do not have time to run the harrow around perimeter to knock manure down, I will sometimes set my deck at 3.5" and run around in circles using the ZTR. It is faster doing this than removing bionic blade from the L4740 and connecting the Woods 84" finish mower.

• Wow

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
An F would be much faster, and since you're not sitting right on top of the main wheels, I believe they ride nicer. Also much better on hills than a zero turn. So if you're going all in on a mowing weapon, that's the place to go.

On the B2601, have you tried front suitcase weights to keep the front down? Perhaps spacers for the stability and/or weighted tires (personally I don't like weighted tires). I find on my B2601 that whilst I often feel uncomfortable, the tractor is actually way more stable than I give it credit - if I stop, get off, and rock it, it still has a lot of weight on the uphill wheel - it's nowhere near tipping.

Are you using a rear finish mower already (rather than a mid mount)? It sounds like it. If you aren't using the mid mount anyway, then it would totally make sense to move up to an L sized machine - L3901 perhaps.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks folks for your helpful replies.

With respect to diesel vs gas, well, that's a choice rather than a need. With four diesel tractors already in the fleet I'd like to reduce my jerry can fleet! (Yes, four diesels... one of which is not a Kubota so it doesn't get mentioned much here.)

From experience I know that 60" is as wide as I want to go. I have both a 60" and a 54" deck for the B-series tractors so I have an idea of how well they cut, and, importantly, how much power it takes to drive them effectively. Even at that I don't run the 60" on the tractor at the airport because, well, because I can't go as tight to airplanes with it and because I can't go as fast with it as with the 54". I've tried them both and was certain the 60" deck would be faster. Nope, my intuition was wrong... again! :cool:

I'm liking the idea of the Country Clipper joystick... that gets me back into a gas mower again, but an XLT with the 26hp Kohler and a 52" or 60" deck would seem a decent compromise.

The one thing I have to say about the MMM's for the Kubota B-series tractors is they are built like absolute tanks. I suspect I will be disappointed with anything less than that level of robustness.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The one thing I have to say about the MMM's for the Kubota B-series tractors is they are built like absolute tanks. I suspect I will be disappointed with anything less than that level of robustness.
Yup, mowing gorse, blackberry, broom and other assorted shrubbery today with mine. I only do it occasionally and I don't have a rotary cutter. Once that area is under control it'll just be grass. It seems remarkably tolerant of eating anything up to a an inch or so. Goes blunt quickly, but otherwise I haven't broken anything yet (fingers crossed and all that).

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I have had great success with my RCR1860. Yes it is a rotary cutter but my pasture looks great after a cut.
4C682994-EDEC-479E-8359-24A356D343A3.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
A B series tractor with MMM will mow steep areas that a ZTR cannot so don't limit your options.

Yes, an F series mower is the cat's meow for steep areas but most such used units have been used commercially, abused, and traded in for good reason.

Of course, ZTRs are ideal for mowing (only) in areas that are not overly steep, and will mow such areas more quickly than other options. Do not plan to plow snow, grade crushed rock, use FEL, etc., with a ZTR. You can, of course do such tasks with a CUT or SCUT with MMM while also mowing steep areas where a ZTR is not suitable.

SDT
This isn’t entirely true. There are ZTR exceptions that can handle steep hills and hillsides with ease.
The Cub Cadet Pro Z (with steering wheel) are designed specifically for mowing hillsides and the interesting Altoz “tracked” ZTR can handle much of the same.

I have successfully mowed my steep hillsides with my Pro Z 560 S and saved an hour of mowing time compared to my B2601 w/ 60” MMM.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
@Rdrcr what, in your opinion are the strengths and weaknesses of the steering wheel versus lap bars?

Some folks have told me to stay away from ZT machines which don't use a separate hydro drive for each wheel. I'm having challenges with the Cub Cadet line in figuring out exactly what each model uses as its drive line.
Ive operated both lap bar and now my steering wheel equipped ZTR on my property.
I definitely prefer the steering wheel in my situation. The lap bar and front caster combination just can’t deliver comparable traction and safety when compared to my steering wheel and 4-wheel steering.

PROS:
Familiarity
Traction
Control
Maneuverability
Fun

CONS:
Cost
Complexity

The Cub Cadet Pro Z lineup uses separate Hydro’s per wheel and use some of the best components in the industry. However, you do pay for them.

Mike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
This isn’t entirely true. There are ZTR exceptions that can handle steep hills and hillsides with ease.
The Cub Cadet Pro Z (with steering wheel) are designed specifically for mowing hillsides and the interesting Altoz “tracked” ZTR can handle much of the same.

I have successfully mowed my steep hillsides with my Pro Z 560 S and saved an hour of mowing time compared to my B2601 w/ 60” MMM.

Mike
11K and up for one that can do it. I don’t think that’s what most people are thinking when they are talking about Zero Turns to just mow. Maybe it’s just me.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
11K and up for one that can do it. I don’t think that’s what most people are thinking when they are talking about Zero Turns to just mow. Maybe it’s just me.
Perhaps. But, those $11K + options do exist for folks looking for specific solutions, exceptional performance and extreme quality and durability.
Heck, you can spend $30K + for a Kubota F series mower…there are options galore!

Mike

3rdgrey

Equipment
Bush hog pto; cabin enclosure; front loader w/ bucket; lx2610 model
Oct 17, 2020
Florida
Hi. Just had my z412kw-48 delievered yesterday. Used it today. First time i ever used a zero turn. It was like riding a gocart while mowing the grass! I dont like using my lx2610 around the house because the bush hog leaves ruts and the wheel can dig when i turn. Not to mention the back and forth around trees, etc. Ill save the tractor for out back and inhospitable conditions. Anyway, the zero turn seems to be awesome. Good financing too. NOTE: I do use the tractor to mow around the pond edges. Kind of step angle. Just go in low gear and slow. Other steep inclines like canal banks, i back to the edge and lower the mower. A little time consuming but effective.

Last edited:

shortking

Equipment
John Deere
Jan 27, 2021
New Orleans
You've clearly got a good grasp on what you're looking for, and it's obvious that diesel power has spoiled you.
I've spent countless hours on both ZD and F-series Kubotas. While they're both fantastic machines, they each have their strengths. Most dealers will let you take a machine for a spin. Pay close attention to how it handles on your terrain, the comfort of the seat, and the overall feel of the machine. Have you looked into used commercial mowers from other brands for local landscape jobs? You might find a great deal on a machine with similar specs to a Kubota, but at a lower price point.

Last edited:

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have 1700hrs on my ZD323 and mow several acres per week.
My mower has been super reliable. Besides routine maintenance, I have replaced deck spindles, replaced deck gear drive (1500 hrs) replaced battery and recently replaced dynamo (Kubota term) also on my second set off rear tires and 3rd set front tires.
I see on FB marketplace older ZD mowers (ZD 326, ZD,331 ect) posted with less than 1k hours listed for $6,000 and less. If something happened to my 323 I would be looking at getting another older machine as a replacement.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario

Mike
Mike - I'm very curious to learn more about your experiences with the Pro-Z.

Since I started this thread I have made some adjustments to my fleet. I changed airports and no longer am responsible for mowing so much grass. That means I sold the B2410. At the new airport I keep one of the B7510's for snow removal and I purchased a 60" Landpride 3PTH finishing mower for "just in case" purposes. I've used it behind the B7510 at home and it cuts well enough but is far, far too awkward to use in anything other than the wide open flat areas.

Our next door neighbor had their old lawn tractor fail. At the same time I had one of the mounting brackets break off our 30 year old Cub Cadet lawn tractor (the first real mechanical failure of this machine - it has been an amazing workhorse). The neighbor came over to borrow our Cub Cadet, only to find its deck upside down on sawhorses while I welded it. In a fit of frustration she went out and purchased a brand new Cub Cadet ZT2-60 - that's a 60" zero turn that uses lap bars.

I've cut our property three times now with that ZT2-60 and have done some learning which I'll share here.

Firstly, I have learned that a 60" deck makes the cutting go quickly, but it's really too wide for our property. Too often I find the edge of the deck digging into the rapidly-rising ground at the base of hills and ditches. I've left furrows with the edge of the deck - this clearly isn't desirable.

Secondly, I've learned that traction with this ZT2-60 is poor - it's certainly far more greasy than our 30 year old Cub Cadet traditional lawn tractor. Dew on the grass means one has to exercise great caution. Since the machine belongs to our neighbor I use it very gently and yet I still find burnout marks on the grass from wheels spinning.

Thirdly, with this lap bar zero turn, if those front castoring wheels get onto soft ground and you need to change direction you're screwed. The amount of force required to pivot the front wheels and get the machine turning is more than the back wheels will generate - they spin and the machine sinks into the mud. It's been a long, long time since I last had to tow a lawn mowing device but I've already had to tow the ZT2-60. I suspect front wheels which "steer", like those of the Pro-Z, will offer a significant improvement in this arena.

Fourthly, when it comes to slopes, pick a different machine. The lack of directional control on the front wheels means all directional control comes from the rear wheels. Twice now I've found myself sliding sideways down a slope - the first slide was stopped when the deck slammed into the corner of an outbuilding, the second slide was arrested when the deck slammed into the trunk of an elm tree. In the first instance I approached the slope at about half the speed that I would have used with the belly-mount Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Having learned from the first time, the second incident occurred even though the approach speed was, quite literally, as slow as I could make the machine go. Once the back wheels break free in a sideways slide you're just along for the ride. Not a pleasant experience.

The ZT2-60 is extremely fast compared to our old traditional lawn tractor with its belly-mount mower. The down-side is that I can't cut at full speed because my body can't take the pounding from the bumps. I like the ergonomics of this machine and the smoothness of its power delivery and driveline are incredible. I find that when I'm mowing under and around trees it feels more like I'm hovering a helicopter - the maneuvering is effortless and very fast. The physical shape of the mowing deck allows one to get the edge of the deck snuggled in tight against obstructions - it's very well thought-out in this regard.

With all the above information in hand I'm sure readers can see why I'm still sitting on the fence when it comes to finding a better solution to our mowing needs. The Kubota F-series is still what I consider to be the ultimate solution, but also with the ultimate price tag. The ZD machines will solve some of the shortcomings of the lighter Cub Cadet lap bar zero turn.

The one big question mark in my mind is the steering wheel Cub Cadet mowers. I've seen a couple of Pro-Z 100 machines advertised for sale at "reasonable" prices, 10-20% less than the cost of a ZTS2-60 residential-series steering wheel zero turn. I'm spoiled by the power steering on my B-series Kubota tractors so I'm worried about higher steering forces on the Pro-Z. I'm also concerned about the ease of maintenance (or difficulty in maintaining) a Pro-Z.

Thanks for any additional information you care to share.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
PM sent.

The big difference with regards to steering and performance of the standard vs. commercial Cub mowers is wheel size and weight. The commercial Pro Z’s have larger wheels and a lot more weight to maintain better traction on challenging terrain.

It’s not recommended, but I’ve side-mowed hills that are far beyond my Pro Z’s recommended limits and it still doesn’t slide. The control and traction are amazing.

Edit: I guess my only complaint with the Pro Z is fuel consumption. It drinks fuel (but, it has dual 7.5 gallon tanks…15 gallons total). Perhaps that’s more of a complaint for Kawasaki but, I’m sure the Pro Z’s heavy weight and my hills contribute to the overall consumption.

Mike

Last edited:

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I decided to try a Z726 60 inch after mowing with my BX 60 mid mount deck for years. The BX deck never gave a perfect cut when mowing at full speed of the BX. I put a Michigan seat on it to save my back. Well switching to the zero turn almost cut the mowing time in half. Perfect cut at 12 mph and no backing up. The fuel usage on the Z726 is almost 2 gallons an hour compared to about .6 gph of diesel in the BX. Even cutting the time in half fuel costs more. The Z726 has 4 fixed position wheels that don't like anything that is not flat and level. My yard beats the Z up but the seat keeps me fairly comfortable. My arms do take a beating from the constant seat movement. The BX has a pivoting front axles that really smoothes out the job and the Michigan seat make it comfortable. The BX maintenance is fairly cheap with mostly oil and filter changes. The Z726 needs Parker drives serviced more frequently using almost $20 a quart drive oil and filters that add up. Both do the same job but if time is the issue definitely a zero turn will win on a flat level lawn. On the other hand hills and uneveness or wet areas give the win to a tractor if you can live with less then perfect cuts with tire marks from the extra weight. My neighbor has a Kubota diesel zero turn 72 inch and the weight of it also deforms the lawn that my light gas zero turn doesn't. They all do the same thing in the end but time and conditions will affect which is best for you.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I use my 2601 with a 54 inch MMM to keep my property mowed. It does fine. If I can't mow or walk under a tree because the limbs are too low, then they need to be removed.
A zero turn is faster as long as the area is smooth. My property isn't. The larger tires of my tractor make mowing a lot more comfortable than my zero turn.

Plus, a zero turn will only mow. My tractor will do many other things besides mow. For me it's a much more useful tool.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I use my 2601 with a 54 inch MMM to keep my property mowed. It does fine. If I can't mow or walk under a tree because the limbs are too low, then they need to be removed.
A zero turn is faster as long as the area is smooth. My property isn't. The larger tires of my tractor make mowing a lot more comfortable than my zero turn.

Plus, a zero turn will only mow. My tractor will do many other things besides mow. For me it's a much more useful tool.

I agree, but when I set down to eat I usually have a choice of three tools available to get the job done! :sneaky: :sneaky: