Hydraulic Shuttle problems in forward only

twenger10

Equipment
Kubota M9540
May 26, 2021
Alabama
I have used this M9540 for quite a few years and it's been working wonderfully. Yesterday it started to take quite a long time to engage when put in the forward position and then got to where it would just barely move. sometimes if you would leave it in forward long enough ( like a minute) it would work. It was like it was building pressure. The reverse seems to be normal. Could it be internal with the reverse still working? I read on an older forum about linkage adjustment, but I'm a bit skeptical about that.
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not to the depth of knowing how the shuttle works internally.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I just went out and checked it a bit this morning. When you put it the shuttle in forward it tries to slowly engage and then with a little time and revving tractor a bit it will fully engages. I then rode the brakes hard and seems to be engaged properly with no slippage in the clutches.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just FYI. Your model comes in (at least) two versions:
* Synchro-shuttle - has a F-R gear shift and single clutch. Tractordata says dry clutch, but I think it's hydraulic.
* Hydraulic shuttle - has 2 separate hydraulic clutches for forward and reverse. F-R gear is constant mesh. Sounds like this is what you have.
Just a thought: when was the fluid and filter last changed?
Edit: the synchro-shuttle does have a dry plate clutch and wet plate synchro-mesh shuttle shift.

Last edited:

Tom sten

Equipment
Me9000 kx71-2
Jan 13, 2024
Uk
I have used this M9540 for quite a few years and it's been working wonderfully. Yesterday it started to take quite a long time to engage when put in the forward position and then got to where it would just barely move. sometimes if you would leave it in forward long enough ( like a minute) it would work. It was like it was building pressure. The reverse seems to be normal. Could it be internal with the reverse still working? I read on an older forum about linkage adjustment, but I'm a bit skeptical about that.
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not to the depth of knowing how the shuttle works internally.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I just went out and checked it a bit this morning. When you put it the shuttle in forward it tries to slowly engage and then with a little time and revving tractor a bit it will fully engages. I then rode the brakes hard and seems to be engaged properly with no slippage in the clutches.
Hi. Did you solve this problem, my me9000 has just started doing exactly this.
Thanks

TimDal

Equipment
M9540
Sep 9, 2024
Forney
I have a similar problem with a M9540 where it goes into reverse no problem consistently but when trying to go forward, it is slow (sometimes 20+ secs to engage) then slams into forward motion. Doesn't appear to slip at all once engaged. Thoughts? I'm pretty mechanical but new to the Kubota tractors.